TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Monophobia - January 7th 2012, 03:20 PM

Even if I don't have it, it sure feels like it. I have an intolerance of being alone. At all. If I am alone in the house for a certain period of time, I always end up having a panic attack which leads to me doing some kind of physical damage to myself from trying to regain control and make it stop.

Now, I go to extreames to make sure this does not happen, and when it does, I lash out at the people who I was expecting to be there. I get hysterical and start making irrational accusations at other people. I get angry, too. So so so angry.

I have always felt uncomfortable being alone. It makes me nervous and feels wierd. However, as I have gotten older it has gotten to this level. I don't know how to cope with it. I have no idea why I do this, but if I am alone long enough... well, it constantly gets worse the longer I am by myself. It helps to be on the phone with someone, but if I am not in contact with anyone I know at least, it gets ten times worse and that's usually when I will start to hurt myself and start getting suicidal thoughts that are overwhelming no matter how hard I try to push them away and tell myself to be patient and wait, but that does not make the fear go away and it actually, physically, hurts.

So, I need my friends and all to be around me constantly. Some get annoyed by this and keep their distance. Others have just moved on from college, and the few I rarely talk to... I mean... I try to not make contact because I am afraid of them finding out how desperate I am. My mom is actually figuring this out, but I keep denying it. I hate having her around and for some reason, sometimes if it is just her, it makes me even worse. Sometimes it doesn't. I'm so confused.

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Monophobia - January 7th 2012, 11:22 PM

Well first thing is first you need to understand that some things you cant control - and this is one. Therefore you need to seek help. If it ever gets to a level where you cant help yourself - then you need to get help. This will continue to get worse - and it wont stop until you eventually get help and get the treatment needed. I would tell your mom whats going on - and although you may hate it, she will be the one that gets you the support you need. Then, I would find a counselor or someone who can even issue medicine. The main thing is: Seek help. The longer you wait, the worse it will get and the more hurt you may cause to others, or yourself.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Monophobia - January 8th 2012, 02:16 AM

Thanks Chris, but I have been seeing couselors and psychiatrists for quite a few years. I've tried multiple times of anti-depressants, mood stabilizers, anti-anxiety meds, anti-psychotics and combinations of them. They either make me very ill or have no effect. Nor did the couselors help with this. It has been getting worse, and the fact that I go so far to avoid being alone frightens me. I told them this but nothing helps thus far. I was kinda wondering if anyone had a similar experience and how they overcame it or are working to.

"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Monophobia - January 9th 2012, 12:17 AM

I had a similar thing - I was afraid of tight spaces. And If you put me in a closet I would flip out like you cant believe. It was bad. Now, I know this doesn't relate much - but its alittle similar. Anyway, I got help - and I forgot the name of the title of this person but it wasn't a counselor or a therapist. Anyway, he use to bring in a wooden tube that was extremely small and forced me to stay in it for 20 minutes - and of course I lost it every time. But every week that we did it - I became better; I wasn't upset as much, and I felt like it didn't effect me anymore. Well - after 1 year of that treatment, I'm 100% fine. Maybe you should try something similar to that?

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Monophobia - January 9th 2012, 03:45 AM

So he had you get used to it slowly? How can I do something like that? I mean, I am alone quite often and every time it gets to me still even after so many years and it actually continues to get worse.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Monophobia - January 9th 2012, 04:10 AM

Yes, it was at first 2 minutes, and then 4, and then 6, all the way up to 20 - and I eventually was better.

Remember, this is all mental - this isn't physical. Being alone has nothing to do with your physical state - its just the mental mind that takes over. So when you are alone, slowly breathe in and out. In the nose and out the mouth. Then just do something like watch TV - or read a book (while keeping with the slow breaths). Now - like I said this will take ALOT of time and Patience - but you can do it.

Chris

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Monophobia - January 10th 2012, 09:19 PM

Specific phobias fall under the category of anxiety disorders. The method of treatment Chris is referring to is called "flooding," and the goal is to force you to confront your fears, all while being monitored by a professional in a safe environment. The idea is that, with time, you will become desensitized to the feelings of anxiety that come with being alone, and you will no longer feel that anxiety when being alone (or you will at least be able to manage it more effectively).

You may need to find a specific therapist for this - the ones you've seen so far may not specialize in treating phobias, so I would tell your current therapist about this problem and ask for a referral.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Monophobia - January 11th 2012, 01:52 AM

Thanks guys, I will do that. Like I said, not sure if I it would be considered a phobia or not, but it is extreamely distressing and I have high anxiety over it.

Thanks again.

Closed Thread