TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
girlfromsocal Offline
inandoutofhere
Junior TeenHelper

Gender: without getting pg I was born both but am allfemale now

how likely is it I'm going to be an alcoholic or addict of some sort if I try it? What are my chances? - January 11th 2012, 02:36 AM

I've gone to 2 funerals. One was of my great aunt. She drank herself to death. She was the first funeral I remember. She was a huge boozer but so were her brothers. The older one has issues done substance use. Also my uncle is a drug addict and I have 2 cousin one that actually looks like me on my dad's side that I've seen that are like drug addicts. My maternal great grandpas were alcoholics. One almost died of it. The other died while drunk. And I know my aunt does drugs. Also my dad was a drunk. A lot of alcoholism is in my maternal grandma's side and in my paternal grandmother's side. My mom says my dad's side I'm presuming his mother's side were full of alcoholics. My cousin 2nd cousin that looks like me her parents were alcoholics. So that's like my great aunt or uncle. Idk exactly how she's related to me. Also my mom said within their family they were substance abusers. I think one of my aunt on my mom's side was an alcoholic. My dad's side of the family has a lot of alcoholism. Also his brother got murdered because of drug issue having to do with a phone or something. I think his maternal grandparents were alcoholics. People I know that aren't addicts? Are my mom's parents they had their time then they quit. So I mean they obviously weren't deep addicts. My mom isn't at all. She's drank like 3 times or something. She just doesn't like the feeling. She's so small it doesn't have a good affect on her. I wonder if I'm the same since I'm about her size. [Edited] But I'm 3 inches taller than her. My aunt isn't an alcoholic neither is the one closer to my mom. So there's some non-alcoholism in the family too. Also my great grandma on my maternal grandpa's side wasn't an alcoholic. So what are my chances?

Last edited by PSY; January 11th 2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Indications of body weight are not permitted on TeenHelp.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: how likely is it I'm going to be an alcoholic or addict of some sort if I try it? What are my chances? - January 11th 2012, 04:37 AM

The answer is: we don't know.

The truth of the matter is that you don't "inherit" alcoholism and/or drug addictions. You may inherit a greater tolerance to alcohol and/or drugs, which means you need more of the substance in order to feel the effects. The bottom-line, however, is that it all comes down to willpower. If you don't want to become like your family members, then you'll be smart enough to limit your usage, to know when to say, "I've had enough drinks for tonight," or, "I'd rather not experiment with this drug because I don't know how it will affect me."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
girlfromsocal Offline
inandoutofhere
Junior TeenHelper

Re: how likely is it I'm going to be an alcoholic or addict of some sort if I try it? What are my chances? - January 11th 2012, 05:26 PM

well my mom can't tolerate it well but my dad loved it. So does that just lead me in the middle??

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Disneygirl94 Offline
I believe I Can Fly
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kaitlyn

Re: how likely is it I'm going to be an alcoholic or addict of some sort if I try it? What are my chances? - January 11th 2012, 08:36 PM

You are you. You make the decisions that will effect your future. Normally though when a family member sees what a stubstance does to a family memeber they are more cautious of the substance than anybody else. You just have to becareful and responsible. It doesn't put you in the middle because no one knows until it is happening.

"My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return. "

(#5 (permalink)) Old
girlfromsocal Offline
inandoutofhere
Junior TeenHelper

Re: how likely is it I'm going to be an alcoholic or addict of some sort if I try it? What are my chances? - January 11th 2012, 11:36 PM

substance never directly effected me. It effected my dad but he died before I knew. My aunt did it and my mom was friends with when I was young but I don't remember her drunk much or an issue with it. I also lived with my aunt who had a bottle of wine in the fridge but never saw her drunk I've seen it's bad effect on strangers moreso or on my mom when this waitor slipped alcohol in her drink and she had to drive. But not really directly been affected...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: how likely is it I'm going to be an alcoholic or addict of some sort if I try it? What are my chances? - January 12th 2012, 03:51 AM

All these people who have gone down the wrong path - and have suffered the ultimate sacrifice should be the sobering part. Meaning - you see what these things have done to your family, don't do them.

You don't need alcohol to be cool or to have friends - its just for some who like to have a good time and can manage it. If you do drink make sure you have good friends around to take care of you - and only do it once in awhile (No more than once a week). Don't go down a path of pain and suffering.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

Closed Thread