TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives


You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!



Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Seeking Happiness's Avatar
 

Posts: 37
Join Date: November 12th 2011

What's wrong with having guy friends? - January 31st 2012, 03:24 AM

I'm a girl and a lot of my friends are guys. A lot of other people come up to me and say, "Oh do you like them? You two should date! When are you getting married?" It really annoys me because the reason why I hang out with those guys and feel attracted to them is because they are funny and nice to me. I don't like them in any way at all, I am just happy to have them around.
I hang out with them often and always talk with them online and stuff. Others think that I like them, but that's not the case... Why does everyone assume that? I just have a good connection with them because I've been chilling with them for such a long time and they\re cool and friendly people.
So yeah I really wanna know why people jump to conclusion like that... -.-
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict
************
 
PSY's Avatar
 
Name: Robin
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Southern California

Posts: 9,948
Blog Entries: 34
Join Date: June 12th 2009

Re: What's wrong with having guy friends? - January 31st 2012, 05:28 AM

I don't know how old you are, but younger people tend to have a more difficult time establishing boundaries in friendships than adults do. Your friends may assume there's "more" going on if you're hanging out with certain guy friends on a frequent basis. Your friends may also be speaking from personal experiences, where they found it difficult to establish boundaries with their opposite sex friends.

I would keep reassuring your friends that there's nothing romantic going on between you and your guy friends. As your friends grow older and gain more life experience, they'll realize it's perfectly possible to have close opposite sex friends without becoming attracted to them romantically. It's something you can explain until you're blue in the face... but until they actually experience that sort of friendship, they won't understand and may continue to express disbelief.






   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Seeking Happiness's Avatar
 

Posts: 37
Join Date: November 12th 2011

Re: What's wrong with having guy friends? - January 31st 2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
I don't know how old you are, but younger people tend to have a more difficult time establishing boundaries in friendships than adults do. Your friends may assume there's "more" going on if you're hanging out with certain guy friends on a frequent basis. Your friends may also be speaking from personal experiences, where they found it difficult to establish boundaries with their opposite sex friends.


I would keep reassuring your friends that there's nothing romantic going on between you and your guy friends. As your friends grow older and gain more life experience, they'll realize it's perfectly possible to have close opposite sex friends without becoming attracted to them romantically. It's something you can explain until you're blue in the face... but until they actually experience that sort of friendship, they won't understand and may continue to express disbelief.
yeah i'm 16, haha
and thank you
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while
********
 
blumemusik♫'s Avatar
 
Name: Kate
Age: 22
Gender: Girly
Location: Liverpewwwl, UK

Posts: 1,185
Blog Entries: 127
Join Date: June 18th 2011

Re: What's wrong with having guy friends? - February 1st 2012, 06:45 PM

Yeah they just all sound a bit immature to be honest :') I have a couple of close-ish guy friends, and honestly, I'd love to spend more time with them because I get on better with them than most girls haha :') But yeah, there's nothing WRONG with having guy friends, just sometimes it might get a bit of attention from people who don't understand that.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while
********
 
craz33me's Avatar
 
Name: Ciara(:
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Location: Oklahoma♡

Posts: 1,582
Join Date: February 15th 2011

Re: What's wrong with having guy friends? - February 1st 2012, 11:03 PM

I have the same problem, I have a bunch of guy friends.
Honestly, I think they're just jealous cause they don't have any. lol



A beautiful thing is never perfect.

  Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
Seeking Happiness's Avatar
 

Posts: 37
Join Date: November 12th 2011

February 2nd 2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asthenophobia. View Post
Yeah they just all sound a bit immature to be honest :') I have a couple of close-ish guy friends, and honestly, I'd love to spend more time with them because I get on better with them than most girls haha :') But yeah, there's nothing WRONG with having guy friends, just sometimes it might get a bit of attention from people who don't understand that.
I get along with them and connect with them much much much better than with girls! And you're right, they are pretty immature haaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz33me View Post
I have the same problem, I have a bunch of guy friends.
Honestly, I think they're just jealous cause they don't have any. lol
That may be the reason... :P

Last edited by PSY; February 2nd 2012 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Zero. Offline
Meeeeeeeeewrth!
Not a n00b
**
 
Zero.'s Avatar
 
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Location: Your basement.

Posts: 88
Join Date: November 25th 2011

Re: What's wrong with having guy friends? - February 4th 2012, 04:30 AM

Next time anyone asks, just say to them "What's the problem with having normal guy friends? If someone's not a girl, then they're a guy."
(unless some rare cases lmao)
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
friends, guy, wrong

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright 1998-2018, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.