TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kathryn Offline
crazy cat lady.
Not a n00b

Name: Kathryn

My grandmoms breast cancer came back - March 29th 2009, 01:00 PM

Hi everyone. I've been offline for a while because I have been attempting to straighten out my life. Things were going a little better lately but of course something bad had to happen.

My grandmoms (moms mom) breast cancer has come back. She had breast cancer a long long time ago, I think before I was even born. I'm of course extremely upset about this. It still hasn't been that long since my uncle died from leukemia. I'm not really handling this too long and don't know what to think and don't know what to say.

My grandmom is almost 80 years old but is a real great woman she could still kick my butt I swear. She's always active and up and about. Just recently my aunt and I were worried about her getting old because she's been a bit more forgetful then usual but in all honesty I'm more forgetful then her.

I really am close with my grandmom and really rely on her. I'm going away for vacation next week and had made arraignments to leave two of my cats at her house for her to cat sit. She was really looking forward to it. But now after getting this news I feel really bad!! I don't even want to go away now!! My mom only said that 'shes not doing anything until we get back' which is not exactly what I want to hear!!

Do you think it could just be a really slow growing cancer thats not really a big deal? She had a double partial mastectomy (?) before and I didn't think her cancer could come back like this 20 years later!!! My mom made it seem like she just has to get surgery again. I guess it must not be THAT bad or you know, we wouldn't be going on vacation and leaving my kitties with her ??? and my family would probably be freaking out a little more??

I don't know what to think and I don't know if my cousin knows or anything..

I'm just so upset. I finally am almost getting my life back on track and you know nothing can just go right for me.

~kathryn

four million+ will be killed in shelters this year.
don't shop. adopt.

spay & neuter saves lives.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: My grandmoms breast cancer came back - March 29th 2009, 04:22 PM

Hey Kathryn. :]

I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother. Cancer is a scary thing and it's hard when it hits a close family member.

I'm not an expert on cancer on anything, so don't take this as fact, but I would assume things aren't done straight away once you get your diagnosis. Your grandmother would have to go through a lot of health checks and such, to make sure her body was able to handle surgery.

She's going to have a lot of options and a lot of decisions to make. I guess you're still going on vacation to get away for a bit before things get tough and your grandmother has to start whatever treatment she'll be getting.

I know it's scary but try and trust the adults. If there's anything serious to be done, it'll be done.

Hang in there and good luck for the future. <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: My grandmoms breast cancer came back - March 29th 2009, 08:13 PM

Hi Kathryn,

Just like Nicola said, once a person is diagnosed with cancer that doesn't mean they are going to die right away. Cancer can be treated, so don't worry about your grandmom being left alone right now. It sounds like she is still able to do things for herself and take care of your cats.

I'm really sorry that this has happened to your grandmom. She sounds like an active and loving person. It's really important that you spend some time with her and show her that there are people there for her.

Don't feel bad about going on vacation. Try to enjoy yourself and have some fun. I'm sure your grandmom wouldn't want you worrying about her while you're on holiday.

Take care and stay strong.
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
kathryn Offline
crazy cat lady.
Not a n00b

Name: Kathryn

Re: My grandmoms breast cancer came back - March 29th 2009, 09:59 PM

My uncle had leukemia and was 35 years old when he died about 15 months after being originally diagnosed. he had been a happy and healthy young guy perfectly fine and one day he thought he had a really bad flu so he went to the ER and they found out later that night he had cancer. just like that!! so watching him slowly wither away over the last couple months of his life has really scarred me for life.

I feel she is strong enough to handle surgery ... i just hope the cancer isn't that bad.

~kathryn

four million+ will be killed in shelters this year.
don't shop. adopt.

spay & neuter saves lives.

Closed Thread