TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Arrogance.. - February 9th 2012, 11:08 PM

Ok, so I dance at a reasonably high level and so spend a lot of time with my dance partner. He is a lovely guy but recently has been getting more and more on my nerves- but I don't know if this is more a problem with me? He regularly oversteps the line between confidence and arrogance, but I think a large part of it is that he's not british.. Not to generalise, but its a very english thing to downplay your own achievements. In particular, having always been an academic overachiever I have a constant filter on myself, to make sure I don't come across as immodest.. (haha now I don't sound modest at all right :P). Basically with him, no such filter exists. Being his dance partner means I get included in some of what he says and it makes me cringe. For example today we were praised as the only ones in the class who had done a particular thing right (ie the teacher was having a go at everyone else). My natural reaction in this situation is to not really react at all, whereas his reaction is to beam and generally look extremely pleased with himself/with us. I'm not saying I can't take a compliment but if someone behaved like that in school when a teacher was telling everyone else off I doubt they'd be all too popular...

Urgh sorry for the rant. Basically my question is: do you think its a problem with me and I should get over it? Or should I ask him to be a bit more careful with how he acts. A bit of arrogance in performance is fine, but arrogance off the dancefloor is not!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Singer180 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Basel

Re: Arrogance.. - February 9th 2012, 11:31 PM

First off, I'd just like to say that I look up to dancers as I'm the farthest thing from gracefull I don't think you have a problem. Extreme arrogance annoys most people. I think you have your answer right there in your last sentence. Just politely mention to him to keep the arrogance on the dancefloor.

“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. I'll always be with you.”
- Winnie the Pooh

I may not know you, but I love you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Arrogance.. - February 10th 2012, 12:07 AM

Nah, you don't have a problem. Just let him know that sometimes he crosses the line, and it's starting to annoy you, but say it in a nice way.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Arrogance.. - February 10th 2012, 12:23 AM

If you don't mind my asking, could you provide us with a couple of examples of your partner's "arrogance"? What does he say and do? In my opinion, looking proud of oneself is not arrogant at all - if he did a good job, and he's being complimented for it, then he deserves to enjoy that praise! Arrogance, in that particular situation, would be saying, "We're the best!" or making a point of contrasting his performance with other dancers' performance after receiving the compliment. Looking happy for having received a compliment is... well... human!

Closed Thread