TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
J.u.s.t.i.n.e. Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Justine

Unhappy Running Away..... - March 31st 2009, 03:28 AM

Okay basically lately I've been strongly considering running away. I cant stand my family anymore, let alone my friends. My dads abusive and I know as long as im living in the same house as him im not going to be able to be happy. I know if I keep living here I'm going to stay really depressed. I just kinda need to get away from it all. But I know if I do leave it'd cause alot of problems for alot of people. I just dont know what to do anymore

Last edited by J.u.s.t.i.n.e.; April 4th 2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Taking away the 'Triggering' prefix to title.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Running Away..... - March 31st 2009, 03:36 AM

Hi Justine,
I'm so sorry to hear that things are home aren't going well. I can understand why running away seems like a possible solution. Do you think maybe we could figure out some other alternatives? Running away might seem like a good temporary solution but in the long-run, it will just complicate things like I think you see. Does anyone in real life know about the abuse? Could you reach out to another family member, a teacher, a classmate, etc.? Telling someone about what's going on is probably the scariest step, but will end up being the most helpful in the long run. What do you think about that?
Take good care of you and I'm here if you want to talk.
Jen

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
J.u.s.t.i.n.e. Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Justine

Re: Running Away..... - March 31st 2009, 03:39 AM

well a few of my friends know and stuff but im too scared to tell anyone older than my friends, like an adult.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Charlie_Charlie Offline
is now extinct.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Charlie?

Re: Running Away..... - March 31st 2009, 07:50 AM

I know that running away seems a good idea. I've done it myself. but let me tell you, once you get out there, it's terrifying. money is always an issue, and nowhere is safe for a young girl to be alone. And, if you get caught, and trust me, you most likely will, your parents are even angrier when you get home. I'm not trying to scare you. It's just that there has to be something else you can do.
is there an aunt, uncle or grandparent who you trust? maybe you could ask to stay with them for a while, try to take a break.
OR, if you trust any of your friend's parents, you could summon up the courage to tell them a bit about what it's like for you at home. That way you don't have to take action right away but at least there is an adult out there who knows about what's going on.

I know it's hard to trust adults, especially after you've been abused by one. but the more people you do trust, the bigger support network you will have when and if you really DO need to get out of there.

try hard to find someone. be safe and well and brave. we're here for you.
pm me anytime at all.

I will never be good enough for them
and it kills me every day

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Darrenboy! Offline
my long tongue is long.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Running Away..... - March 31st 2009, 01:41 PM

Hey Justine.

There's something you have to know about abusive guys (dads included ) .. when they're angry, they might end up beating everything in sight. But you know (take this from a so-called man ) all guys have a sensitive side. I think for your dad, you should show some small and subtle gesture of love that will touch his heart. And no matter what, he is your dad, and i'm really sure that there's a part inside the deepest threnches in his heart, which loves you unconditionally Try touching his heart's soft spot before doing anything else, at all i believe you can reach out to him !

and yeah , you have to tell your friends ESPECIALLY about how much this is affecting you . The knowledge that someone knows and cares deeply is very comforting.

Those who have went through more pain than everyone else, and want to protect anyone and everyone they know and care for from that pain, are stronger than everyone.

we come, we help, we stick and never leave. pm me anytimeee!

Official member of the completely Unofficial free hugs Club !

I'm firing mah Hugs!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Running Away..... - March 31st 2009, 10:08 PM

Hi Justine,

To mark a thread as 'Triggering' means that the content within it may trigger a reader to hurt themselves in some way. I think that what you wrote in this thread would not be considered triggering to most users, so I'm going to change the prefix. If you have any questions about this, please feel free to send me a message.

On topic with your post, I really think that you need to talk to an adult. I know it's hard, but you need to be confident that these people are there to help you. If your dad is being abusive, then the authorities need to know- especially if you feel that running away is your only option. Maybe you could talk to one of your friend's parents or an adult you trust. Does your school have guidance counselors? Those would be able to help you as well.

Running away is not your only option, and I don't think it would be a good idea. Contact an adult and contact the authorities and get your situation figured out. You don't deserve to be stuck in an abusive home, but that doesn't mean you need to run away.

Stay strong.
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
falcon93 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Running Away..... - April 5th 2009, 06:35 PM

hey,
ok if your dads abusive i think u should call child protective services you do not deserve to be treated this way and its not a healthy environment for you to be in. have you thought about seeing your school counselor and talking about your situation i cant explain why but just talking bout it helps a ton. also you should concider talking to your doctor and see if you can get help for your dad so he can stop being abusive i think this might help hope it does pm anytime if u need to talk or need anything

Closed Thread