TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

My mom told me I'll burn in hell without Jesus - March 7th 2012, 03:09 AM

I asked my mom if it would be okay if I don't believe in Jesus, and she told me, no, I'll burn in Hell. She's pretty liberal too. She was being completely serious. She said I didn't know enough stuff to decide now.

We never even go to church or anything, and I never got baptized. I can pretty much guarantee I'm not going to be Christian again.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Re: My mom told me I'll burn in hell without Jesus - March 7th 2012, 03:24 AM

That is a difficult thing for you to hear coming from your mum. You need to sit down and talk to her about it. Explain to her that you are not religious and could she respect that in the same way you respect her faith.

"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: My mom told me I'll burn in hell without Jesus - March 7th 2012, 03:09 PM

I would actually recomend just not telling her. This will lead to hurt feellings no matter what. If you aren't forced to go to church or listen to religion it shouldn't really matter. Trust me that you shouldn't pursue this any further. It's obvious she has strong feelings about this, and I don't think any amount of talking will get her to understand. Once your an adult you can truly do whatever you want but in the meantime it might be best to just leave it go for right now.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Dylan

Re: My mom told me I'll burn in hell without Jesus - March 7th 2012, 03:32 PM

Justin, you just said the same thing I said about love, which people flipped out on.

Sometimes, it's best to just tell people what they want to hear. If you aren't forced to do anything religious, why not just make your mom happy?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: My mom told me I'll burn in hell without Jesus - March 7th 2012, 06:52 PM

I wanted to know she would be okay with me. I'll just leave it alone.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: My mom told me I'll burn in hell without Jesus - March 9th 2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up In The Clouds View Post
I wanted to know she would be okay with me. I'll just leave it alone.
Unfortunately, it is rare to have someone in your life who accepts you completely. Sure, your parents, friends, and significant others may love you... but that doesn't mean they're going to agree with everything you say, do, and believe in. The best we can hope for is that those people will respectfully address their differences with us, or avoid discussing those differences altogether (depending on the situation/topic).

You asked your mom for an opinion, and she gave it to you. It wasn't what you wanted to hear, and her "delivery" wasn't very gentle, but now you know: in the future, take the latter approach and avoid discussing your religious differences. If you choose the former approach, know that she may or may not address your differences in a respectful manner. She may stick to her guns and give you her opinion, unfiltered. If that will cause you to feel distressed, then it's best to just avoid those conversations altogether. There will be people whom you can respectfully talk to about religious beliefs - but clearly, your mom is not going to be one of those people, and while that's unfortunate, it's not the end of the world. Again, that's just a part of life.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
withers3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My mom told me I'll burn in hell without Jesus - March 11th 2012, 06:00 PM

I got the same response from my mum when I mentioned that I didn't really believe in God. She's more accepting now, but still tries to 'convert' me from time to time. I mainly do not mention it - it can be uncomfortable but it is easier than trying to talk to her. In the future i am probably going to have to talk to her, but for now I can cope by being discreet and not bringing it up.

It probably helps that my dad does not outwardly show that he minds my atheism.

Closed Thread