TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

How do I tell them i don't want all of them to come to my graduation - March 16th 2012, 11:40 PM

I graduate from uni this year and i want my mum and dad to come with me, and i've got two tickets. but when more tickets go on sale my mum wants me to get 5 more for my grandparents, my dad's girlfriend, my dad's girfrlends son and my mum's boyfriend. as much as i appreciate them wanting to come and all that, i dont want them there. I remember taking three of them to my open day and that was more than enough and a bit cring worthy as some students had come with just one parent or even just by themselves. I really don't want to be dragging 6 family members around with me, I want to have my mum and dad there like everyone else and then i'm more free to go where i want and do what i want, see who i want etc.

Is this a bit out of line or do I say something, and if so how do I tell them nicely that i'd rather it just be mum and dad?

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

Last edited by niente_; March 16th 2012 at 11:50 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How do I tell them i don't want all of them to come to my graduation - March 17th 2012, 02:15 AM

If I were you, I'd just tell your parents, and let them know that you only want them to come to your graduation. If your parents understand, then I'm sure they'll explain it to the others so that there will be no lost feelings in the process. I know this is a hard thing to do in order to not hurt anyone's feelings, but I really do think you should start by telling your parents. Good luck with everything! Carpe Diem.

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How do I tell them i don't want all of them to come to my graduation - March 19th 2012, 07:32 PM

Whether your parents like it or not, you graduate with a Bachelor's degree in whatever only once. Getting tickets for your parents is a must and something you already have done. Depending how you feel about it, a ticket for your grandparents wouldn't hurt, although it is up to you whether you want them there. Get tickets for those who, either are closest to you or who you want to celebrate the day with. If you don't want your grandparents there, that's perfectly fine. I think it is unreasonable to get a ticket for your father's girlfriend's son, cameras exist to take photos, so it is reasonable to give them a few photos.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
misscreativegal Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brittany

Re: How do I tell them i don't want all of them to come to my graduation - March 19th 2012, 09:02 PM

This is your big special day and it should be the way you want it to be. If you prefer to have just your mom and dad at your graduation, do not feel bad about it. I have been in a similar situation when I was graduating from high school and just wanted my mom and dad to attend. The most important thing is to approach your parents about the situation and your preference of just the two of them coming to your graduation. From there, your parents may be willing to tell the others or fib a little to avoid any hurt feelings. Most likely, the others will understand. Sometimes writing a short letter showing your appreciation for their willingness to come and how you would love to celebrate with them some other time can alleviate any hard feelings. Best of luck and congratulations! You have so much to be proud of.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: How do I tell them i don't want all of them to come to my graduation - March 19th 2012, 10:15 PM

Like the others said, it's your graduation. I would explain the situation and tell them most people you know are just bringing one or two relatives and more would be a bit awkward. At the end of the day, they'll officially need your consent to come along so it's your decision. At worst they might be awkward about not being invited for a while but they'll get over it.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

Closed Thread