TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
nicole1234 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Uni life - April 16th 2012, 04:36 PM

Hey everyone!
I hope everyone's a good day/afternoon/night

So... I know that the site is called "TeenHelp," but I've been a member of this site for as long as I can remember so I'll just talk about my uni issues here despite the fact that it's not really a teen issue.

Anyhoo! After graduating high school last June, I moved to a foreign country to pursue my uni degree... I've never had problems making friends/speaking out in the past... but after going to uni, it's been so difficult to establish my own group of friends... and I've been starting to get really frustrated since it's been about 2 months since uni started...

Language is not really a problem because everyone here speaks English. However, the problem is that everyone seems to like to stick with the kids who speak the local language... and also everything cultural-wise is really getting to me. There's so many rules, that it's getting really difficult to keep a track of what to do at times!!

Now, I know that uni life is definitely a big jump from high school life, but I really think that I should have established my group of friends by now... (right?) and it feels awkward to just shove myself into an already established friendship group...

SO WHAT SHOULD I DO??
I feel pathetic.............!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
NoName12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Uni life - April 16th 2012, 05:12 PM

It takes a while to establish a group of friends in university, especially if you start off by knowing nobody. I went to university about two and a half hours away from home, also not knowing anyone. I found that getting involved was the best thing I did. Through my involvement within the university community, I had the opportunity to meet all kinds of people; many of whom shared my interests.

All universities have ample opportunities to get involved on campus - ranging from sports to clubs to committees to student council. Get involved in activities that are of interest to you and I promise that you will quickly find yourself befriending a number of your colleagues. Trust me, getting involved is the best thing I did in my first year and I continue to do so now.

While doing so, put any shyness/insecurities aside and just go for it. Be yourself and talk to people. For example, at a club meeting, start talking to the person beside you. A sports team is great because you automatically become friends with your teammates as you are forced to cooperate with them. I can stress this enough - get involved.

Good luck.

First impressions last. Start behind the eight ball and you'll never get in front.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Uni life - April 17th 2012, 02:45 AM

Don't worry - TeenHelp offers advice to all ages groups!

I think its time for you to get more involved. You seem like a confident person, and have a high self esteem (which is good), but now its time to actually put yourself out there. I think you ought to get involved alittle more, and here are some things you can do to make it more possible to build new friendships:
-Join a group
-Join a Club
-Volunteer at a local event
-Get involved in Uni hosted events
-Get a part-time job

All those things i just listed can open a door of friendship between you and others. If you join things like Clubs or Groups than you already most likely have things in common with those other people involved. If you volunteer, then you get to know people who like to help. If you get a part time job, then you can complain about the job with your co-workers! All these things open up conversation, and possible friendships; you just have to be willing to put time and effort into this.

You wont make great friendships over night; but instead you will slowly gain the trust of others, and be able to build fantastic friendships in the end. So push yourself to go outside of your social comfortability, and be more active within the community.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

Closed Thread