TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Food and Recipes Discuss cooking, your favourite foods, and share recipes here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Vegetable recipes. - May 25th 2016, 07:53 AM

I've been eating really unhealthy lately due to a lot of things. I've gained some weight and would like to start eating more fruits and veggies.

I just don't have a lot of recipes for those things.

Fruits I have no problem eating plain and then of course carrots with hummus are good. But, other then that my recipe skills are bad.

I love mushrooms and zucchini. I mean, I'm not overly picky but don't like raw tomatoes (can eat them as sauce or Stewed or salsa) and I don't like cucumbers.

Not sure if that helps but I really want to try and get healthier and lose some weight without resorting to unhealthy means.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Vegetable recipes. - May 25th 2016, 02:42 PM

Yellow peppers (the sweet one) is really good plain, so you can probably eat a whole piece of yellow pepper with very little calories consumed.

Another thing I like is red pepper with some sort of low-fat dip.

You could probably find a fruit or veggie platter at your grocery store, but they will most likely come with raw cherry tomato. I hate those too, I rather have them cooked, stewed, or in the form of a sauce or soup.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Vegetable recipes. - May 25th 2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer. View Post
Yellow peppers (the sweet one) is really good plain, so you can probably eat a whole piece of yellow pepper with very little calories consumed.

Another thing I like is red pepper with some sort of low-fat dip.

You could probably find a fruit or veggie platter at your grocery store, but they will most likely come with raw cherry tomato. I hate those too, I rather have them cooked, stewed, or in the form of a sauce or soup.
Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about tomatoes.

Thanks for the suggestion. I used to eat peppers with lemon, salt and chili powder but then I stopped. This has reminded me of that so I'll wrote it down.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Vegetable recipes. - May 25th 2016, 08:25 PM

Make zoodles instead of pasta!
Make salads! Pick favorite vegetables, a protein (meat, hard boiled eggs, beans, seeds) and a dressing (all the ranch...or other dressing )
Vegetable smoothies! Here is a great resource for recipes, but when in doubt, do a half frozen banana, a cup of a leafy vegetable (spinach works great), other favorite fruits, and a milk of your choice. Use more frozen banana or ice if you want it chunkier/colder.
Stir fry veggies! Put some vegetable oil down, put in your favorite fresh and frozen veggies (usually for me it's onions, garlic, a jalapeno, two fresh bell peppers, frozen snap peas, frozen broccoli-use whatever floats your boat!), add a protein (for me, I do some eggs), season with some yummy spices or sauces like teriyaki or peanut sauce or just some soy, and woohoo!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Samantha H Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Vegetable recipes. - June 1st 2016, 06:27 AM

MARINATED LOW-CAL VEGETABLE SALAD

2 lg. carrots
6-8 pieces celery
1 sm. head cauliflower
1 sm. bunch broccoli
2 med. onions, sliced
2 green peppers, cut into strips
1 sm. bottle low-cal Italian dressing

Cut vegetables into bite-size pieces; cover with water and bring to boil. Remove from heat immediately; drain and run cold water over vegetables to cool. Put vegetables into bowl and add onions and peppers. Pour dressing over vegetables and refrigerate. Will keep in refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.
///////////

LOW CAL VEGETABLE DIP

Large cottage cheese
Hidden Valley Ranch dressing (milk form)

Blend cottage cheese until creamy. May have to add a little milk. Add the package of dressing. Blend well.
/////

LOW-CAL TUNA-VEGETABLE SALAD

2 cans tuna, water drained
1 can artichoke hearts
1 can green beans
1 c. sliced celery
1/3 c. low-cal Italian dressing
Tomato wedges
Salad greens (spinach or lettuce)

In bowl, gently toss all ingredients except the last 2. Place greens onto platter (or serving plates). Spoon mixture onto greens, garnish with tomato wedges. Serves 6 to 8.
//////////////
LOW-CAL VEGETABLE CASSEROLE

4 oz. Brussels sprouts
1 c. cauliflower
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 oz. American cheese, grated or 1/2 oz. Parmesan cheese
1/2 c. skim milk
Dash of salt

Cook vegetables 5 to 8 minutes. Drain well. Place in casserole. Season with salt and pepper and garlic powder. Pour in the milk. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 20 to 30 minutes in 375 degree oven.
//////////
LOW CAL VEGETABLE SOUP

6 beef bouillon cubes
6 c. water
3 stalks celery, diced
3 carrots, diced
1/2 sm. onion, diced
1/2 head of cabbage, diced
24 oz. canned tomatoes

Combine ingredients in kettle and cook until vegetables are done, about an hour over medium heat. There are only [EDITED] calories per cup.
////////

LOW CAL VEGETABLE LASAGNA

1 box wide curly lasagna noodles
2 lbs. part skim Ricotta cheese
2 c. part skim shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
4 carrots
2 med. zucchini
1 head fresh broccoli
4 lg. eggs
1 1/2 lbs. Marinara sauce
Dash of ground pepper

Cook lasagna noodles in large pasta pot until al dente. Slice carrots and zucchini very thin with food processor or by hand. Cut off head of broccoli and pull apart into very small florets. Soften all vegetables in microwave (5 minutes on high); or steam on top of stove for 15 minutes. Mix Ricotta cheese with 4 eggs and dash of pepper. Cover bottom of lasagna pan with small amount of sauce. Make 4 layers as follows: Wide noodles, Ricotta cheese and vegetables, end layering with noodles. Cover entire dish with sauce, sprinkle Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese (at this point dish can be covered and refrigerated until ready to bake, or it can be put in freezer for storage). Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until sauce bubbles around edges of dish and cheese is melted. Serves 9.
///////////
VEGETABLE (LOW-CAL)

1 lg. onion, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
4 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 head cabbage, chopped
1 46 oz. can tomato juice
6 bouillon cubes
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients with 3 cups water in kettle; blend well. Simmer 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.

Recipes Source Via Masala TV

Last edited by Coffee.; June 1st 2016 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Please do not post calorie numbers, they can trigger some of our users. Thank you! :)

Closed Thread