Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar
   Halloween Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Food and Recipes Discuss cooking, your favourite foods, and share recipes here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount2

Edit avatar

Ways to eat popcorn. - July 11th 2016, 03:40 AM

I love popcorn and it's one of my favorite snacks. But the problem is, I quit eating salt (bc it's now on my off limits list for food intake). I used to always like to put olive oil and salt on it (I don't eat butter either) but now that leaves me no good flavor. I don't know what else to make my popcorn taste like bc it's gross with just olive oil and I don't want it plain either. Does anyone have any ideas. Keep in mind, I don't eat anything with sugar, fructose, corn syrup, or high fructose corn syrup. Preferably low in calories. Thanks. Also, no peanut butter either (I've heard of it being done before on popcorn).

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Ways to eat popcorn. - July 11th 2016, 04:57 AM

Has a doctor recommended that you give all of these things up and restricting your calories or is this something you've done on your own? While it seems that you're doing this for health, unless you've been told my a doctor, I would be careful with extreme diets. Salt, in particular, contains nutrients we actually need as humans. Most of us in the modern world eat way too much salt, but it also is possible to eat too little. [Source] I'd talk to your doctor about your recent dietary changes and perhaps get a plan approved by a nutritionist!

I love putting nutritional yeast on my popcorn, which is deactivated yeast. It tastes cheesey (many vegans use it as a cheese or dairy substitute) and it is very tasty on popcorn and doesn't have any of the ingredients you mention. It also has protein and is fortified with B vitamins.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount2

Edit avatar

Re: Ways to eat popcorn. - July 11th 2016, 07:24 AM

thanks for ur concern and tip. i honestly have never been told by a doctor not to eat them. its a risk im willing to take while im experimenting with health from different foods. salt makes me feel bloated and dehydrates me so id rather not consume it. plus i have to exercise more when i eat these things just to burn it off (my choice, not doctor). i love peanut butter but i dont eat it bc everytime i do, i eat too much. im afraid of gaining weight from overeating. so i chose not to eat these things.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MorbidDaisies Offline
< < • > >
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Re: Ways to eat popcorn. - July 11th 2016, 07:52 AM

I have a friend who took out salt from her diet and she got really sick from doing that. She now has seizures from not eating salt. Make sure you eat some salt.

As for what to eat with popcorn, I put vinegar and salt on mine Sometimes salt and pepper. My sister puts sugar and cinnamon and sometimes she crushes Doritos chips and sprinkles them on the popcorn.

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Ways to eat popcorn. - July 11th 2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflykisses3000 View Post
thanks for ur concern and tip. i honestly have never been told by a doctor not to eat them. its a risk im willing to take while im experimenting with health from different foods. salt makes me feel bloated and dehydrates me so id rather not consume it. plus i have to exercise more when i eat these things just to burn it off (my choice, not doctor). i love peanut butter but i dont eat it bc everytime i do, i eat too much. im afraid of gaining weight from overeating. so i chose not to eat these things.
Too much salt can be dehydrating, but some salt is necessary for organ function. Your body needs to retain some water, especially if you're frequently working out. If not, you could pass out from an electrolyte imbalance. Also, you do not have to worry about "burning off" salt. If you look up the caloric amount for salt, you will see it's not an issue for weight gain.

To me, your symptoms sound like disordered eating. I see you've opened threads on the topic before; just because you cut out "unhealthy" foods doesn't make a restrictive diet any better for you. There's an eating disorder called orthorexia that is an obession with only eating "healthy" foods, and while I'm not qualified to diagnose you with that, I just want to remind you that it's a risk. You may be having issues of "eating too much peanut butter" because your body is deficient in the nutrients found. Listening to your body is key to giving it what it needs.

I would highly recommend you see a doctor, nutritionist, or at least talk to a parent or adult about the dietary changes you're making. If you are looking to lose weight in a healthy manner, your doctor would help you make a reasonable diet and exercise plan to meet reasonable goals. But if this is only an excuse for disordered eating, I'd highly recommend you reach out about treatment. Your life doesn't have to be like this, living with restrictions and fear foods and numbers, I promise. Things can get better.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount2

Edit avatar

Re: Ways to eat popcorn. - July 11th 2016, 02:00 PM

ya my parents know about my eating. they know i make restrictions but they dont know which ones and just assume that i like to be healthy.
most the time i starve myself so i wont gain weight esp if i cant exercise that day.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Ways to eat popcorn. - July 11th 2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflykisses3000 View Post
ya my parents know about my eating. they know i make restrictions but they dont know which ones and just assume that i like to be healthy.
most the time i starve myself so i wont gain weight esp if i cant exercise that day.
I would reach out to your parents about getting a nutritional health appointment with your doctor. They can help you create a diet plan that is right for you and your needs. Currently, you're not only restricting calories but you're also cutting out necessary food groups. Being deficient in necessary nutrients put you at a higher chance of binging, poor health effects, harming your metabolism and being ineffective at exercise. From both a health and weight loss perspective, you're not helping yourself by being too restrictive.

Closed Thread