TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I've been here a while

Name: Lauren

Points: 24,303, Level: 22 Points: 24,303, Level: 22 Points: 24,303, Level: 22

Easy and/or cheap dinner and lunch ideas for college - July 17th 2016, 09:25 PM

Hi guys!

This semester I had to purchase one of the smaller meal plans for school due to my low funds haha. I was wondering if any of you know some easy or cheap ideas that I could fix for lunch and dinner?

I will have access to a kitchen and most of the utensils as my roommate is an RA and we'll most likely be eating together!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
obelus Offline
divided yet whole

I've been here a while

Name: Oliver
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 59,995, Level: 35 Points: 59,995, Level: 35 Points: 59,995, Level: 35

Re: Easy and/or cheap dinner and lunch ideas for college - July 18th 2016, 01:33 AM

One meal I love that is very versatile and cheap is a bowl of rice with veggies and a protein. You can eat each on their own on a plate, but I prefer to toss it all into one bowl and mix it together. I buy off brand minute rice that I make in a big bowl the microwave in the bowl I will be storing it in (no pot involved!) for convenience, but you can also buy large bags of rice to cook in an actual pot on the stove. As for veggies, I buy frozen. You can buy them in bulk too if you wish and there's a lot of variety, too! If you want fresh veggies, always buy what's in season to get a better deal on the price. As for protein, I personally use ground chicken or turkey. If you're vegetarian or vegan, you can easily swap that out for tofu, beans, and any other kind of thing.

The possible combinations for a rice bowl is almost endless. I also add sriracha hot chili sauce almost every time and occasionally gravy, ranch, or curry sauce. One thing I do to the rice before I microwave it is toss in some spices. Nothing to fancy. Just to your own taste. I like garlic, onion, curry, and pretty much any spice works if you like it (maybe except cinnamon).

I've lovingly named this "recipe" the Dump Bowl. Not as appetizing as it sounds, but when I'm low or without cash I go through my kitchen pantry and refrigerator to find things to toss in my bowl of rice.

Oh if you do eat meat/fish and like canned tuna, keep cans in the fridge. Instant cold tuna salad. Unless I'm the only person who gets frustrated about waiting for their tuna salad to get cold for a sandwich. (Tuna salad is another thing I add hot chili sauce too. I put that on virtually everything savory. )

If I think of any of my other ~poor~ relatively healthy recipes I'll post them.

“Peace is power”
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Easy and/or cheap dinner and lunch ideas for college - July 20th 2016, 06:07 PM

Tuna casserole: You can google the directions. I make it with mac and cheese, tuna and potato chips. It's actually pretty good and relatively cheap.

Chicken with rice is also relatively cheap as well.

These are the only things I can think of.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 6,605, Level: 11 Points: 6,605, Level: 11 Points: 6,605, Level: 11

Re: Easy and/or cheap dinner and lunch ideas for college - July 20th 2016, 08:52 PM

Hi there
There's this really good book I have called Nosh for Students and its full of loads of different recipes, and it prices them all per person so you can see exactly how much everything is. It also has several pages designed to help you budget each week, and spend as little as possible, and they are honestly really cheap but really tasty!
Hope this helps!

I am inimitable, I am an original

If you cannot reach me to fly, teach me to sing
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Easy and/or cheap dinner and lunch ideas for college - July 22nd 2016, 02:08 AM

I make the same thing as Oliver. One thing I do is make a ton of rice and then keep it in my fridge to just heat up with different proteins all week, haha.

Ricearoni is honestly a really nice thing to have around too. It takes 7 minutes to cook and you can pair it with a quick protein. Then, if you eat them, eggs are a great source of protein, easy, and versatile. You can put them in fried rice, have them scrambled, make an omelet, etc.

something burning?
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I've been here a while

Name: Lauren

Points: 24,303, Level: 22 Points: 24,303, Level: 22 Points: 24,303, Level: 22

Re: Easy and/or cheap dinner and lunch ideas for college - July 22nd 2016, 05:04 PM

Thank you for all the help guys! These sound pretty good and I plan on trying them when I get back to campus.

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: Easy and/or cheap dinner and lunch ideas for college - July 24th 2016, 12:48 PM

The cheapest thing I have been able to cook for dinner is definitely pasta. You can but a huge bag of it for like 2-3$ and it lasts a while, then sometimes you can get jars of pasta sauce on sale.

Lunches, you could make wraps or salads. They both seem cheap to me.

Good luck!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Easy and/or cheap dinner and lunch ideas for college - July 24th 2016, 10:12 PM

Anything you can freeze! You can make a veggie soup and freeze it to eat later in the week for lunch or dinner, just chop up some carrots, leeks, potatoes and whatever other veggies you love and throw it in a vegetable broth. It's nice with a little bit of mint sauce too!
Chicken fajitas are quick and easy too, you only need some seasoning, peppers,onions and tortilla wraps. They're good with some potato wedges!
I also have a couple of student cook books, but usually I modify the recipes to something I'll like a bit more because they can be a bit strange. Just throw together some things with rice or pasta, always keep tinned tomatoes in the cupboard and you're good to go! I always have chicken and mince meat in the freezer too for extra lazy days. Meatballs or bolognaise are always good.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
Closed Thread