TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Food and Recipes Discuss cooking, your favourite foods, and share recipes here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
charliemoosic Offline
charlie
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: charlie

Food Allergies - August 1st 2016, 10:46 AM

Hey people!

I've dealt with allergies to wheat, barley and dairy for about 2 years now and my reaction is through eczema. I've enjoyed creating my own recipes to cater to my allergies and those who eat with me always love it too (yay!).

I'm studying a business degree and have been toying around with the idea of opening a common allergy-free restaurant and takeaway for quite a while now. While my reactions aren't as serious as others, such as anaphylactic shocks, I want to create a safe space where allergy sufferer can eat out and feel like a 'normal person' rather than left out, as I know what that feels like, but also without the worry of cross-contamination or allergy-related illnesses (or death in extreme cases).

Do you have any allergy free restaurants or takeaways nearby that cater to more than just gluten free options? And do you think this is a good idea? Open to suggests and ask any questions :3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Wheek! Offline
Eat, sleep, repeat!

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Re: Food Allergies - August 3rd 2016, 02:04 AM

I don't have any ideas for restaurants and stuff but I think that this is a great idea. I only ever see gluten free options listed, and even then the amount I see is very limited. It's almost as if people have to do their research before going into a restaurant to make sure they have more than one option to eat.

i'd say that the important thing would be to do your research into the different types of allergies out there if you want to cater to more than gluten free. Some may be easier than others such as not serving shellfish or finding alternatives to peanut butter, or at least making sure things like shellfish or peanut butter are not processed/stored in the same area where they could touch the allergy-free stuff/?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Food Allergies - August 3rd 2016, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphany. View Post
It's almost as if people have to do their research before going into a restaurant to make sure they have more than one option to eat.
I just wanted to reply to this. People with allergies need to do research. At least our family always have to do research/call ahead before we go to any restaurants and if we're on vacation, we have to be sure to come prepared with a list of what they can eat/where it is/what allergens are present. But honestly, it's only gotten easier now with the internet and alternatives. We can never just pick a place and say, "let's try that" without actually making sure that it's safe for my siblings. But, they have grown up with their allergies and they know before they order/eat anything, they have to ask/read and explain that they're allergic (and if they're not sure, they will wait till they get home) and will only eat at select friends houses.

Now to my response.
Where we live, there are several vegan restaurants which is really helpful because two of my siblings are anaphylactic to dairy and one to egg (and we're vegetarian). My brother is lactose intolerant so he tends to avoid eating it but the lactose pills work for him.
There is also several restaurants we can frequent (albeit at off hours when it's not super busy otherwise we will go somewhere else) that are allergy friendly, have options and are very careful to not cross contamination (such as the french fries are cooked in different oil than any of the breaded items) or that the knives/flippers/pans/ are cleaned prior to making their food.

I think it's a good idea. You would need to do research into what allergies you want to cater to and make sure your ingredients that you're using to make your foods don't contain the allergen hidden if you're using them or as sides. For example: breadcrumbs usually contain dairy, crackers, potato chips, certain flavouring, chocolate, gum, candies, and yeast breads from the grocery usually are cooked in a buttered pan. But, also making sure you wash the dishes/utensils/and surfaces because if there are trace amounts of an allergen on them and the child puts it/or their hands in their mouths because that can cause a reaction (my sister touching someone else's desk at school after it wasn't washed down after lunch sent her to the ER).

Good luck and please send me a message if you need anything else!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Food Allergies - August 3rd 2016, 05:09 AM

I don't have food allergies, but I pay attention to certain things out of curiosity. My first thought is that it might be easier to choose one or two allergens to avoid because I think trying to avoid all of them would be too hard, mostly because of cross contamination. Even if you have different menus or lists based on different allergies, all the food, utensils, and equipment would have to be separated and what not. The more you try to handle, the more risk there is of someone having a problem. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, at all. I think it's a great in theory, might have issues in practice kind of thing.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Food Allergies - August 7th 2016, 12:59 PM

My son has severe food reactions and is on a medically restricted diet. So this is something we deal with on a regular basis. The difficulty with opening a restaurant is that there are so many different kinds of food that people can be allergic/intolerant to, it almost seems an impossible task. No matter what, the person at your restaurant wont be able to eat everything on the menu, just like at a regular restaurant. So, how would yours be different from that?

So an example being that my son can't have vinegar, he immediately breaks out in hives around his mouth. Vinegar is a common preservative. He can't have any sauces, marinades, condiments or dressings because of it. So how would you work around this at your restaurant so that he feels he is having a "normal" experience.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Food Allergies - August 12th 2016, 04:07 PM

Lizzie made some great points, it would be hard to make something appropriate for every allergy, especially when there could be contamination. However, that doesn't mean you should give up on the idea of having a place that is as allergen friendly as possible. I do think that would sell over well, especially in big cities. One of my favorite restaurants in my college town was this vegan restaurant because as a vegetarian, I usually go to restaurant and have 1-2 options or have to alter something just to make it appropriate. At this place everything was vegan, and a lot was gluten free as well, so I could bring my boyfriend's mom, my vegan friends, my lactose-free friends, and everybody was happy. There are so many allergens that it is impossible to look out for all of them (for example, at the place I mentioned, their "soy freee" options were really lacking and most things had nut contamination), but being very transparent about your ingredients and trying your best in a restaurant would be awesome. I think it could be successful.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachell

Re: Food Allergies - August 14th 2016, 07:28 PM

I have one food allergy, but I know how to avoid it. I ask ahead if it contains what I'm allergic to, and they don't have to give me that kind or not put it on top.

But there is one restaurant around me, where if you have a food allergy, you have to tell them, and then they cook it on separate grill. But that's because they cook like 9 meals at once on this huge circular grill. So they'll take your food to the back and make sure the grill is really clean, and then cook your meal. I think its called Mongolian BBQ.

~I was always scared of everything, even the carousel.~

~Don't worry about me. I'm sort of feeling fine, but by tomorrow, I'll be back on my feet again.~

-Goodnight Tonight

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Rosset Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rosseline

Re: Food Allergies - August 22nd 2016, 06:52 AM

I haven't faced any food allergies so far, but my mom is sure allergic to beef. She gets rashes all over. But I really wish we could find out our allergies before hand through some way, instead of eating it and then getting to know about them.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
NoraOb Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Food Allergies - August 29th 2016, 07:28 AM

I have an aunt who is allergic to wheat. So she misses out on a lot of things.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
SirJordan Offline
Twitter: @sirjordanhardy
Average Joe

Name: Jordan

Re: Food Allergies - August 29th 2016, 09:52 AM

I can't eat shellfish otherwise I go into shock and I'm violently sick

"Carefree, wherever we may be. We are the famous CFC" - Chelsea Football Club
  Send a message via Yahoo to SirJordan  
Closed Thread