TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Food and Recipes Discuss cooking, your favourite foods, and share recipes here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Tofu recipes? - March 5th 2017, 09:52 AM

I'm interested in making tofu at some point this month or next. I found a few recipes I could try but I was wondering if anyone here had any recipes for tofu.

The easier the recipes are the better.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MorbidDaisies Offline
< < > >
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Re: Tofu recipes? - March 6th 2017, 02:12 PM

http://instagram.com/healthiecook

She posts a lot of recipes with tofu in them! The ninth post has tofu in it.
I've cooked a lot of recipes from her Instagram and blog.

She's super helpful too

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Tofu recipes? - March 7th 2017, 01:25 AM

There's a lot of things you can do with tofu, is there anything in particular you are looking for? I like making tofu scramble for breakfast, it's easy and doesn't take very long to make. If you want something really easy, you can marinate it in teriyaki sauce for about an hour, and then either bake or fry it and add to rice or soup, or whatever else you're making really. You can also use silken tofu to make sauces, or even a non-dairy version of ricotta. Sometimes I use cooked tofu on sandwiches. I recommend checking out Pinterest, that's where I get most of my recipes.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Tofu recipes? - March 7th 2017, 01:56 AM

I second tofu scrambles! They're fairly simple to make and they taste good. I make them for my siblings because my one sister is allergic to eggs. I usually make them with some bell peppers, garlic, spinach, kale, mushrooms, tomatoes and whatever else they want. Tofu frittatas are also an option. We use firm tofu, soy milk, turmeric and blend until it's smooth and then cook whatever veggies we want and add the tofu and then pour into muffin tins.

We also just have it diced in the fridge with some fresh herbs (or dried) like basil, oregano, parsley, ect and some avacodo/olive/flaxseed oil and then can take some out and quickly cook it and add it to a salad or eat it plain.

I also sometimes crisp it up with one of the oils I mentioned above and some of the Mexican seasoning we make, and some cornmeal and use it in taco.

My one sister really likes this recipe but with berries instead of cacao nibs.

You can also make a really good spinach and artichoke dip with soft tofu.

You can also bake the tofu with a variety of different spices and such.

We also make fudgesicles or other "ice cream" bars with silken tofu. I can link some recipes that we've used and my siblings/cousins devoured.

Tofu is also good in smoothies.

We use firm tofu and blend it with some soy milk, garlic, a dash of lemon, basil and a wee bit of salt as a ricotta in lasagna or cannelloni.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: N/A

Re: Tofu recipes? - March 7th 2017, 04:35 AM

I don't use tofu as much as I use paneer, which is made using milk cheese instead of soy cheese. But recently my mom decided to buy tofu. We haven't cooked it much, so I am not very sure.

I love tofu stir fry, though. I made it with string beans, bell peppers and sesame but you can add vegetables of your choice.

The first time we got tofu, I looked up recipes online and found this

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Tofu recipes? - March 10th 2017, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormborn. View Post
I don't use tofu as much as I use paneer, which is made using milk cheese instead of soy cheese. But recently my mom decided to buy tofu. We haven't cooked it much, so I am not very sure.

I love tofu stir fry, though. I made it with string beans, bell peppers and sesame but you can add vegetables of your choice.

The first time we got tofu, I looked up recipes online and found this

Been wanting to respond for a while.

Paneer is something that I really enjoy. Is that difficult to cook with? I would love some paneer recipes. Not sure if I'd have to go to a specialty store to get it hear but I could do some research.

I've had Tofu and Paneer in curry dishes at this local Indian restaurant and I think I liked the paneer better.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Tofu recipes? - March 10th 2017, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post

Paneer is something that I really enjoy. Is that difficult to cook with? I would love some paneer recipes. Not sure if I'd have to go to a specialty store to get it hear but I could do some research.
Not sure where you are but where I am, they sell it in the big chain stores (Walmart and Real Canadian) and smaller local/provincial based stores. They also sell it in most of the Indian grocery stores as well.

When I've been shopping in the states, I've found it at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Fred Meyers. I think I've seen it at some Walmart as well.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: N/A

Re: Tofu recipes? - March 10th 2017, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post

Been wanting to respond for a while.

I've had Tofu and Paneer in curry dishes at this local Indian restaurant and I think I liked the paneer better.
Paneer is yum. Since I live in India, I don't really have a problem getting paneer. My cousins in the US said they pick it up at the Indian stores. As far as I know, there are Indian stores in most cities because of the Indian population.

You could also make paneer at home since it is basically curdled milk. The only different between home made paneer and the store bought ones is that the home made ones are softer. So when you add them to the gravy and cook for long, they might break. So if you do make paneer at home, you can follow any paneer recipe that you want to and add the paneer cubes at the end of the gravy prep time.

This is a recipe for making paneer at home. At the end, they have also mentioned how you can use homemade paneer in gravies and there are further links to recipes. This recipe has options on how to make paneer, I usually use lemon juice so I am not sure how well the others work.

Paneer is not difficult to cook with once you get used to it. The first couple of times it might be a bit difficult to nail to correct texture in the gravy but the couple of times that I have cooked I just followed online recipes to the point.

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread