TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Food and Recipes Discuss cooking, your favourite foods, and share recipes here.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Share your favorite recipes! - September 29th 2017, 12:04 AM

Hey guys, I thought it'd be neat if we shared our favorite recipes on this thread! Usual TeenHelp rules applies, ie: no calories!

There are measurements listed, please let me know if this is not okay.

Mine is Quinoa Summer Salad.

1 container of red and yellow tomatoes, cut in quarters.
1/2 cucumber (preferably harvest) cut into very small pieces.
1/4 red onion, cut into tiny pieces.
1/2 cup of quinoa.
1 container of feta cheese.
Unknown amount of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Really, I never measure this. It's up to your personal preferences.

Bring 1/2 cup of quinoa up to boil with 1 cup of water. 20 minutes, then uncover, let cool down 10 minutes. Then put into a two quart bowl.

While the quinoa is cooking, bring together all the other ingredient. Don't get too generous with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil, since you will add more when everything's mixed in with the quiona.

Jenna recommends: eat in small portions! Quinoa is high in fiber, that is all I will say.

I may be forgetting something, I feel like I am! Next time I make this, I really ought to write it down.

Please share your favorite recipes!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Share your favorite recipes! - September 30th 2017, 04:43 PM

Not certain about measurements since my family has been making this for so long that we just kind of know and can double it etc without problem.

Anyway, it's a recipe my dad came up with when he was like 16-18:

2-3 cups white rice, cooked (you could probably use brown rice but I have never tried that so not sure if it would be as good)
1 package of bacon (You can use more or less...basically just put as much bacon as you want)
1 egg
1 cup cheese (any will work, we use cheddar and sometimes we put more and sometimes less)
Soy sauce
Garlic powder, onion powder, pepper. (you can use whatever spices you want...we've also used garlic salt instead of Garlic powder but you have to only use a little since there is already soy sauce)

So, all you do is scramble the egg in a large skillet. Once that is done you add the rice, the bacon and the soy sauce and any spices/seasonings you want. You stir it all around until it is all mixed together (the mixing is the biggest pain especially depending on how much you end up making). Once everything is evenly mixed you add the cheese and mix again. The reason we add the cheese last is because if you add it with the bacon, rice and soy sauce it can sometimes lead to things not mixing as evenly and you end up with a large portion of rice that has no soy sauce on it.

It is a relatively simple recipe. It's pretty cheap to make as well (biggest reason my dad started making it).

We have also added sesame seeds in the past as well as green onions. Those definitely add flavor but they aren't necessary.

Also, if you want, you could probably add veggies to it. My dad is super picky so he never experimented with veggies. I have always wanted to try mushrooms, bell pepper and red onion but have never gotten the chance.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Re: Share your favorite recipes! - October 1st 2017, 10:56 PM

I have one that my friends loved when we lived together which is lamb, vegetable and mint soup! When I cook, I don't really measure things out, I just taste as I go and see what it's like, but here's how I make it!

Cook up some diced lamb, then chop some onion and garlic, season with some mint
Chop up any vegetables that are available - usually it's carrots, peas, some peppers, leeks, and some potato, but you can put anything at all in this!
Fill with vegetable stock, and maybe a lamb stock cube too
Leave it to simmer on a low heat for about 30 minutes, and then add in some mint sauce, and cook through until you're ready to serve it.
It's nice served with a crusty loaf of bread or a crusty roll! And it can be reheated, so made in bigger batches to last longer.

Another favourite is my butter chicken recipe! Even my super fussy family request this which is something I'm very proud of.

In one pan, start cooking some chicken.
In a separate pan, crush some cardamon and add to a pan of a generous amount of melted butter, with onion and garlic, and simmer for a few minutes until the onion is soft.
Add tomato puree, along with paprika, mixed spice, and garam masala, and cook for a further few minutes so that it all thickens up.
Slice some chillis (I usually cut them down the middle and then in half), and toss those in the saucepan too.
Add double cream a bit at a time and mix so that the sauce becomes a lovely orange colour, and then add in a cinnamon stick.
Again, I don't have a measurement for the cream, but taste it throughout! If the spice isn't coming through, add a bit more of that, and some chilli powder too if you're struggling and like a bit of heat. Too much cream can make it bland, so add it in stages and taste throughout.
When the sauce is done, pour it over cooked chicken, and boil enough rice to feed everyone.
Cook the curry until the rice is soft, and then serve.

A paradox:
The things you don’t need to live—
books, art, cinema, wine, and so on—
are the things you need to live

- Matt Haig

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Mentor | Outreach Ambassador |
Articles Writer | Forum Moderator
VM|PM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Share your favorite recipes! - October 3rd 2017, 10:07 PM

I just thought of another one that my family has used a lot:

Cheesy Chicken Casserole:

Chicken - You can bake or boil - I prefer when the chicken is baked because it tastes better. Also I believe we use about a pound of chicken but not sure on that and it could probably be just as much chicken as you desire.

Couple cups of cooked rice - This is based on how many people you are cooking for and how many leftovers you want

Cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup - The amount is dependent on how much you make.

Broccoli (optional)

Cheese and parmesan

Basically, all you do is cook the rice. You also cook the chicken and broccoli if you end up using that. Once the chicken and broccoli is cooked you chop them up. Once you have done that you add the chicken and broccoli to the cooked rice. You will also add the cream of chicken or cream of mushroom. You will mix it and you will want it to be really moist since it will dry out in the oven if it does not have enough. After you have mixed those ingredients together you will add some cheese (as much as you desire). Once everything is mixed and the cheese has melted you will put it in a pan. Size is dependent on how much you make. Once it is in the pan you will add some more cheese (as much as you desire). As soon as that is done you will bake it in the oven at about 400. You can usually tell when it is done when the cheese on top is bubbly and a tad bit brown.

Side note: you can add garlic powder/salt, onion powder, pepper if you want to. This can definitely add flavor but it isn't always necessary. I prefer adding the seasoning but the recipe does not, necessarily, call for it.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Share your favorite recipes! - October 8th 2017, 04:52 AM

I’ve been making these breadsticks for a while and they’re sort of like Olive Garden breadsticks. This recipe can be doubled or tripled...I usually sextuple this at least because they make good leftovers and my siblings eat them for breakfast or bring them for lunch. They’re good for a few days after if you pop them in the microwave for 10 seconds and then sprinkle a little more garlic salt on them.

This batch makes about 10-12 depending on the sizes of your breadsticks.
Ingredients:

16 oz flour (add more or less as needed)
1 1/8 cup of warm water
1 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast (you can use instant yeast if you have it)
1 teaspoon salt (you can add another 1/2 or 3/4 teaspoon of salt if you want but I don’t)
1.5 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (I use dairy free butter)

Also: You want to have some butter for the topping and garlic salt (I make this by adding sea salt and garlic powder together)

How to make it:

1. Measure out all the ingredients (I like to do this when the yeast is activating but you can do it before)
2. In a separate bowl (I use a larger measuring cup) dissolve the yeast with the sugar and let sit for about 10 minutes
3. Melt the butter
4. After you’ve dissolved the yeast, add the yeast to your stand mixer (or bowl) with the butter and salt and combine together
5. Attach the dough hook and SLOWLY add the flour on the lowest speed
6. After the flour is added, kneed the dough on the medium speed for around 6-7 minutes
7. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with Saran Wrap and the place it in a warm spot. I personally preheat the ovens to the lowest temp possible for a few minutes and then turn it off and then place the bowl in and leave it closed. You want to let the dough rise for an hour and a half or until it has doubled in size.
8. After it is done rising, weigh out the dough into 2 oz portions for smaller breadsticks or 2.5 for slightly longer and wider breadsticks and roll them into a log shape and place on cookie trays (line with parchment-paper) Make sure you leave room in between because they will double in size!!
9. Let these rise for about 45 minutes or until they have doubled their size
10. Place the breadsticks on the middle rack on 400 F for 8-12 minutes. I like mine on the lighter side so I take them out at 8 minutes when they’re light golden.
11. After they’re out, lightly brush the breadsticks with butter and sprinkle some garlic salt on top

I have some more I might post but I know this one off the top of my head.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
obelus Offline
divided yet whole

I can't get enough

Name: Oliver

Re: Share your favorite recipes! - October 8th 2017, 08:18 AM

This is for pea soup, which is my favorite soup. When I make this it's usually tripled or quadrupled so I can freeze most of it, send some to my relatives, and have some in the fridge for a few days.

Just to add, I don't have any fancy kitchen appliances aside from a blender and I don't buy ingredients that are marketed as “non-GMO” or any of the other marketing ploys used to make a product sound better than something else. A lot of those claims aren't regulated by the FDA and I don't have the money to throw at that. If I can buy it cheaper and it doesn't alter the flavor too much then you can bet your fanciest sock that I'm going to buy the cheaper option. If you can afford and prefer the more expensive ingredients, then go for it.
  • 1 lb of dry split peas
  • 7 cups unsalted vegetable stock (I try to avoid buying things with added salt)
  • 1 cup unsweetened soy milk (I prefer to use Silk, but I will use dairy milk if I don't have soy)
  • 5 chopped carrots
  • 4-5 diced yellow potatoes
  • 1 chopped sweet onion
  • 2 stalks of celery sliced thinly
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil (I generally don’t have olive oil, but that's probably what fancy people would use)
  • 3 tsp minced garlic (roughly two cloves if you’re fancy and don’t buy a jar of the stuff like I do)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp Cholula hot sauce (probably the one thing that I won't buy cheaper because it actually has flavor beyond the heat compared to other brands)
  1. Heat the oil over medium heat in the pot you’re using then add in the carrots, onion, garlic, celery, and salt. Cook until the vegetables start to soften some, about 6 minutes.
  2. Add the vegetable stock, split peas, potatoes, and hot sauce.
  3. Bring it to a boil and then simmer on low heat for about 40 minutes. I have a gas stove, so low for me means “as low as I can get it before the flame goes out” because the knobs don’t really know what they’re doing.
  4. After 30 minutes, use a slotted spoon (I call these holey spoons ) to scoop out most of the split peas that are still relatively whole at the bottom of the pot and put them into a blender. It's fine if some of the vegetables go in with it. Puree all of that and add back to the pot. This makes it extra creamy and kind of seals the deal for me.
  5. Simmer for the last 10 minutes and you’re good.

As a side note, never freeze cooked potatoes. They're gross when you defrost them. I learned this the hard way.

“Peace is power”

Last edited by obelus; October 8th 2017 at 11:42 AM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Re: Share your favorite recipes! - October 8th 2017, 10:19 AM

I thought of another one that I really like, but sadly nobody in my family will eat because they're fussy! However, my friends liked it when I made it for them! It's bacon and asparagus cheesy pasta, and I love this dish because it's got minimal washing up as everything can be cooked in one pot!

Cut as much bacon as you like into small pieces and fry until cooked.
Add onion, garlic, mixed herbs to the pan and cook until soft.
Add chicken stock, a sprinkle of paprika, double cream and some tagliatelle pasta, cook until the pasta is done.
While this is cooking, chop up some asparagus, and then when the pasta is done, add it straight into the pan, along with some Parmesan cheese, and cook until it is thick and creamy.

A paradox:
The things you don’t need to live—
books, art, cinema, wine, and so on—
are the things you need to live

- Matt Haig

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Mentor | Outreach Ambassador |
Articles Writer | Forum Moderator
VM|PM