TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Food and Recipes Discuss cooking, your favourite foods, and share recipes here.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Garyl Offline
What's next, little man?

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Eli
Pronouns: He/him

Three meals, three snacks - January 20th 2018, 01:32 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey all!

Recently I've decided I want to get into better shape. The exercise part is going well so far, but I know I could be doing a better job when it comes to the eating piece of it. During ED treatment I learned it's best to eat three meals and three snacks a day. Currently I am eating two meals a day. I'm still getting a healthy amount of calories but I think it'd be better for my body if it was spread out more. So, on to three meals and three snacks it is!

The problem is that I have no idea what to eat. I HATE cooking. Most of my meals consist of either takeout or something one of my roommates cooked, since the kitchen is kind of her domain. I'm also on the go a lot so I don't really have time to sit down and eat real meals (hence why it's easier to eat two meals a day, one in the morning and one at dinner time). My meals also tend to be really carb-based (breads, pastas, pizza, etc.) and I don't eat as many fruits and veggies as I should.

Knowing all that, are there any suggestions you folks have to help me start this new process? Maybe meals that are easy to make, or snacks I can take on the go. All help is appreciated. Thank you!

Let's eat some spectral oats!
  Send a message via Yahoo to Garyl  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Three meals, three snacks - January 20th 2018, 02:22 AM

PSA: I TALK ABOUT TYPES OF FOOD ETC AND NUTRIENTS BUT NO CALORIES. MAY BE TRIGGERING SO BE CAREFUL (open the spoiler)

Spoiler:
Hey There!
Firstly congrats on deciding to get into better shape. So the first thing really is to establish goals. For example, a goal of running long distance means you need more carbs, but muscle building needs more protein.
I'm going to assume general health improvement and follow the stock 40:30:30 breakdown.
A good way to start eating 3 meals is to start having breakfast. If you can't eat a lot due to time/not being hungry, just make a smoothie. Milk + bananas is a great idea. Or cereal. These can be combined with other things to up the nutrient level. EG throw in some oats etc.
A morning snack is the next thing. Either you can have a fruit, or something light. Fruits like Apples or Bananas are great for this as they are easy to eat on the go. Alternatively, you could get a protein bar or something. If you had a smoothie kind of breakfast I recommend a solid meal here.
Next is Lunch. Given you mentioned you don't like cooking/dont have time, Rice + steamed chicken/veggies is a great option. Easy to cook and eat. If you are moving, maybe make it a wrap. Get whole meal style burrito wraps and toss whatever you like inside.
Next is the afternoon snack. Personally, I tend to eat something like eggs or something with protein. But assuming you're going with just a healthy lifestyle diet, you can have fruit obviously (they are great for everything ), or something like a cereal or a sandwich. PB sandwiches are great here.
For Dinner, I recommend something like grilled meat and a bit of carb, like rice or something. Now this again depends on your goals. I think pasta is a great idea here, since you can toss a bunch of stuff into it. Or a stew with rice.
Post dinner snack. Keep this light to help you sleep. Yogurt is great here. I personally like low Fat style yogurts. Alternatively, I eat a sandwich or make some oatmeal. ANother great option is cereal. it is a great thing to eat.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have different goals, since that needs different styles of food. Also, please remember I am not a dietician or doctor so my advice is off my research and what I do.

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Three meals, three snacks - January 20th 2018, 05:23 PM

I am just going to list some of the snacks I ate when I was in treatment. I won't go into what nutritional requirements/exchanges they met ... but they were all approved by the dietitian.

1 of the chocolate pudding cups
A small handful of granola
1 banana

(Most of the girls I was in treatment with loved this because it was like a dessert).

1 of the vanilla yogurt cups (you can use any flavor I just preferred vanilla)
some fresh/frozen fruit - Fresh might taste better but frozen keeps longer which was a necessity given that I would switch off on what I ate. The fruit I preferred was berries.
You can add granola if you want. If I was eating this for breakfast I would almost always add granola ... If I ate it for a snack ... I might skip it.

The baby bell chese slices - I think we were allowed to eat a few (3-4?), choice of veggies. Some people would get triscuits or some other item like that to eat with the cheese.

Hummus and veggies.

I also used to do bell peppers with lemon, salt and chili powder. You can do this with Jicama as well.

Some other things I learned was that replacing mayonnaise with hummus in sandwiches was a good way to add fat to a diet without feeling like you are over doing. We also learned that including a bit of fat within each meal was important because fat keeps you satisfied longer. So adding a little hummus or a little butter was okay ... but usually just the recommended serving size ... maybe a little less.

As for meals:

I still incorporated pasta ---I just made sure I was eating the serving size that they recommended and adding veggies/protein to each. Pasta alone or too much pasta and very little protein did not keep me satisfied.

One thing I liked was mac and cheese with bacon and broccoli.

My recipe was pretty simple too.

1 of the mac and cheese cups
Some broccoli - one - two cups uncooked - when it's cooked it goes down
a few slices of bacon - I only did 3 or 4

Once everything was cooked I would put it together in a bowl or on a plate. This meal was actually really good, simple to make and quite satisfying.

The thing to remember is that you don't have to cut out carbs; you mainly just have to be certain that you are also getting in other things like fruits and veggies and protein.

I know back when I was in treatment they emphasized that we should not cut out carbs at all. The body needs carbs to some degree but we all have to work on finding a balance.

Including a salad with spinach or some of the other greens is a good way to get in veggies. The iceberg lettuce doesn't have any nutritional value. There is a spinach salad that I used to make that had bacon, hard boiled eggs and dressing. I used a oil based dressing too.

I don't know if this helped all that much and I tried to avoid making it triggering or mentioning much of anything.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.