TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Food and Recipes Discuss cooking, your favourite foods, and share recipes here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TeenSpirit Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Healthy foods and healthy food recipie ideas? - January 9th 2010, 01:04 AM

Anything you guys have that's yummy and healthy?
The only thing I can't have is peanut butter.
I'm not really a fan of eating fruits and veggies just by themselves for a meal. I find it boring. xD
Recipies anyone?

I'm trying to tone my body down a bit, eat healthy food, and workout in the mornings.

Thanks so much!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Healthy foods and healthy food recipie ideas? - January 12th 2010, 11:40 AM

Replacing your starches on a more regular basis with veggies (even mock-veggies, like corn, which is actually a starch) and salads is a pretty good place to start! Try to turn foods you eat into fresh ideas. I make my own cereal--using fruit. A lot of fruits like peaches, banana, even some berries, and green apple (believe it or not!) taste wonderfully with a little milk poured over them. Sprinkle on some cinnamon or hot cocoa powder, if you want.

Often, the darker it is the healthier it is for you. This applies mostly to food that didn't used to have have legs. Bread and cereals? Dark or whole grain over white. Pasta and rice? Brown before white. This is because to make it that pretty "clean" light or white color it has to be processed, or refined. And then it is refined some more and then some more, still, until practically all of the goodness is refined right out of it. Even for foods that are not refined, this may be true. Potatoes? Sweet potatoes are, I believe, healthier for you than regular potatoes, and they can be used just like a regular potato could, even for fries.

Try to eat red meats less and poultry and seafood more. Make sure you're eating your fruits and veggies, even if you don't like them all too much. Use spices (like Old Bay) on green beans and corn, a splash of vinegar on cauliflower, and cheese on broccoli to make it a bit tastier and more fun. Be careful with spices, though, because a lot of them may have high salt content. If you cook with spices (like season all, crazy mixed up salt or Old Bay) don't cook with salt! "Green" spices shouldn't usually have a salt content. Also, try out some crushed garlic! You can buy it in any grocery store in a jar and it is MUCH better than powder garlic.

Anyways. My favorite healthy recipe of all time is non-kebabed kebabs. They are SOOO easy, very delicious, and can be made with or without a meat of your choice. My favorite meat to use in this recipe is beef cubes.

What you need:
- 1 lb beef cubes (or meat of choice)
- 12 oz. package of baby tomatoes
- 1 yellow and 1 red bell pepper (like green peppers these are mild, but they have much less of a bitter taste)
- 8 oz. sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 or 2 squash
- 1 or 2 zucchini
- 1 onion (I prefer red onion. Make sure you chop it into decent sized chunks, because onion cooks down. Even if you don't eat onion, they're great for cooking with for added flavor.)
- 20 oz. pineapple chunks in juice

And anything else you like on your kebabs!

You'll also need:
- 1 bottle marinade
- 1 bottle Italian dressing
- Gallon sized Ziploc backs

Chop your veggies and marinate (do not include pineapple) overnight in gallon sized bag. In a separate bag marinate your meat overnight. Keep refrigerated. I use marinade for the meat and Italian dressing or vinaigrette for the veggies.

Here's where they become non-kebabs: Mix it all together in a large glass, oven-safe pan, including the dressings. Immediately before cooking add can of pineapple chunks, juice included. Bake 350f until done to taste (I prefer the meat in this recipe to be well done. If you're not sure, just cut into a piece of meat and test an onion for crunchiness. )

Ta-da. Delicious and healthy.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: Healthy foods and healthy food recipie ideas? - January 15th 2010, 06:42 PM

Hello there
Not sure if this is healthy, but I have greek yoghurt and honey when I want to snack. It's delish It looks healthy and I buy low fat yoghurt. Then I experiment with putting fruit in too - bananas are my favourite!

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Re: Healthy foods and healthy food recipie ideas? - January 15th 2010, 07:23 PM

For me it has to be a big bowl or poridge oats and a glass of orange juice.
  Send a message via MSN to ThrashAttack  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
funkygirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: JB

Re: Healthy foods and healthy food recipie ideas? - January 28th 2010, 09:15 AM

I would have to say that after being a wrestler and rugby player I absolutely love a good pasta with a homemade meat sauce. Nothing overly greasy but just something to give the pasta flavor. I'm a fan of meat sauces (if you cook the meat first and then pat it dry you can cut the grease portion of it hugely) myself because if you are going to be working out you are going to need a slow burning energy source and I find that nothing cuts it quite like a good pasta. You can make your favorite pasta dish ahead of time, whatever that may be and then make individual wrapped portions of it so that it is in small, manageable snack like portions.

Another thing that you may consider are fruit smoothies. They are really easy to make actually without just tons of ingredients. For something that isn't too big but still tastes good and gives you a bit of a perk, I totally recommend this. Play around until you find what you like best, but if you are looking for a cheap and easy to find recipe the following is usually a pretty safe bet.

You will need:

-blender
-large glass
-ice cubes
-oranges cubed
-plain yogurt
-orange juice
-bananas sliced

Taking your glass fill it to about 3 quarters or so full of ice cubes. Taking an orange cut the wedges into cubes (after peeling and getting rid of all the white stuff on the pieces) and put these on top of the ice in the glass. Make the pile of oranges about an inch to two inches deep. Add on top of this sliced bananas (about half the amount of oranges). Dump all of this into the blender and add a rather large scoop of plain yogurt. Take the orange juice and pour it in until it looks like it is about two inches high along the side of the blender. Blend away until smooth and pour back into the glass you used to measure with and enjoy.

Another really good and quick snack if you are on the run is tuna. Tuna is not only healthy for you as it is lean and not full of grease or fats (this is why it is often called dry). You can eat it alone or you can eat it with crackers (regular salted crackers e.g-saltines are best). I have always found this to be a good snack if you are planning to "tone...work out in the mornings" as it is a good source of energy that won't make you crash e.g.-pop, energy drinks and the like. Not to mention that fish is good for you period.

Hopefully this has been of some use to you and remember, when it comes to recipes, play around and try different things out before settling on any one way of making something!

Rock on,
JB

My doors are always open, as are my arms and my heart.

Closed Thread