TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Olive, always Offline
The Mighty Grape
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Liv

Terrible car accident rips apart my school's community - April 13th 2009, 01:23 PM

Four teenagers died and one was seriously injured in an overnight car crash in Springfield.
The two-car crash took place around 11:15 p.m. Friday on Generic Street N. in Springfield.
According to reports, a Chevrolet driven by a 42-year-old man was heading westbound on Generic Street N. when a 2005 Lexus driven by 16-year-old Jerry Smith came up behind the Chevrolet at a high rate of speed.
Smith had four other teens in the car with him.
Investigators said that, when the first car stopped to make a left turn onto Generic Street S., the second car tried to pass on the left. The two cars collided, and the car with the teenagers hit a tree and burst into flames.
Four of the five teens in the car were ejected before the car caught fire. Only one of them, the driver, was wearing a seatbelt and was not thrown from the vehicle.
Smith, Kevin Johnson, 17, and Steven Jones,15, died at the scene of the accident.
Larry Gore, 16, died on the way to Another Genric Hospital Centre.
Sean Gauss, 17, was taken to Hospital Centre with serious injuries.
A spokesperson for Generic School said the teens attended My High School, with the exception of Smith, who was a student at Nearby High School.
She said grief counselors will be at both schools on Monday.
The 42-year-old man was not injured in the accident.
The Highway Patrol is still investigating the accident.
At one point the Highway Patrol had to close the scene of the crash because so many mourners showed up.

*Names changed for privacy reasons

So, I don't know, my school is really in straits about this. I didn't know the boys personally, but I don't feel anything in particular toward it. I feel gravely sorry for the loss of life, however, it's not enormously striking for me. I just feel badly as I see some kids walking the halls and start bursting out crying..I just feel a little out of place, I guess. I'm not grieving because I don't feel emotionally charged whatsoever.

=P

Last edited by Olive, always; April 13th 2009 at 08:15 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
hunny365 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Terrible car accident rips apart my school's community - April 13th 2009, 05:27 PM

omg i am so sorry for your losses please please pm me if there is anything i can do ill be here for you when ever u need a sholder to cry upon

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Terrible car accident rips apart my school's community - April 14th 2009, 12:20 AM

i can somewhat understand where you are coming from on this. im alot of times not emotionally charged. but im sorry about what happened with the car accident.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Terrible car accident rips apart my school's community - April 14th 2009, 02:48 AM

Every year in my high school, save my senior year, there were deadly car crashes involving students. But every year we lost at least one student. Things like that... they are devastating, to a community. There's no way to prepare for loss, but especially losses like these. Even when you don't know the person, there are so many people grieving around you, it's like stepping into a different world; one that is grief stricken, shocked, and unable to process what just happened.

The best you can do, Olivia, is be there for your peers. Don't take on too much, though. Hopefully your school arranges for counselors to be available for the students.

I wish I knew what to say. I guess the best I can offer is to be here, for you, if you need anything. Take care of yourself.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Terrible car accident rips apart my school's community - April 14th 2009, 04:06 AM

My senior year I lost my best guy friend to a car accident 10 days after we graduated. And then, about a month or two later, we lost another student to a seizure caused by an accidental overdose of cold medicine. Losing a fellow classmate is devestating but it's okay that you aren't feeling overly affected personally. Be there for your classmates if you can but focus on you first. Take care of yourself and then try to help take care of your classmates. I would assume that the school is bring in grief counselors for the student body to talk to? If so, encourage students to go talk and I'd even consider going yourself. It might not seem like it would help at all, but it usually does; it did for me, at least.
If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Olive, always Offline
The Mighty Grape
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Liv

Re: Terrible car accident rips apart my school's community - April 14th 2009, 12:47 PM

Update: Now I'm starting to feel resentful rather than compassionate. It's making me emotionally drained being around so many mopey people..
It's rather selfish, but I put on my headphones during the announcements about the accident. Again. It's only the second day and I'm tired of this hooplah already. -_- Well...actually, it's been mostly four days straight of it and then the second day of overkill. And really, the kids who died...are dead. This is all for people to cope in whatever mean thing they said last to any person who passed. This is not for the kids who passed, all of this drama is for the living.

=P

(#7 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Terrible car accident rips apart my school's community - April 14th 2009, 05:02 PM

Hey Olivia,

Try to understand where they are coming from. People don't get over the death of a loved one over night. I can understand how it would be frustrating and emotionally draining to be surrounded by grief for a good part of your day but things will start to resemble normal again soon. Like we talked about yesterday, even classmates that didn't even know them well might also be effects simply because the fact they have to face their own mortality. When people die this young with no warning it seems to shell shock people. It's hard to be prepared for something like this and it takes time to work through all the mixed emotions. If this all gets to be to much for you try to do fun, relaxing things after school to help you de-stress. If things don't bounce back to normal soon then just remind yourself that summer is around the corner. I would recommend trying to keep your exasperated attitude about this to yourself because I'm sure many of your classmates who knew them would find this offensive and not easily forgivable. It's best to avoid unnecessary drama. If you even need anyone to talk to feel free to PM me anytime. Take care and best wishes.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

Closed Thread