TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hear my whispers in the dark..
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Oreo, my pet, died... - April 17th 2009, 03:04 AM

I feel really bad for posting this, when other people have grieving the loss of an actual person, and this seems insignificant in comparison, but I am having a really hard time right now...
I'm the "crazy pet person" on here on TH and pretty much everywhere else. I have 58 of them. Well, 57 now...
I don't have many friends, or anyone I can talk to about things, so that's why I have so many pets. They take care of me just as much as I take care of them. Over the past couple of months though, 3 of them have been battling health problems. My cat, Sunny got better, and so did one of my rats, Shyloh. I have spent a little over $1,000 in vet bills since Valentine's day. The one that didn't make it, was Oreo (who was also a rat). Oreo hurt his foot, and it got really bad. He had one surgery, and was on medication, but it didn't help. The vet decided that on monday, he would undergo one last surgery, to remove his foot. The vet said he'd recover nicely. He was fine that night, after his surgery. Then on Tuesday, he was cold and unresponsive. I rushed him to the vet, but they couldn't do much. Even so, they thought that he'd be okay...I held him and spent the day telling him how much I loved him. At around 11:30 p.m., he decided that he didn't want to be on my lap anymore, and he struggled, but he crawled up to my neck and leaned up against my face. I held him there for a few minutes, and then I *had* to put him back in his cage because I had to get up really early the next day to see my psychiatrist. I told him goodbye (though I hoped I would see him again), and I cried and held him one last time. It was horrible, because as I was putting him in his cage, he was fighting it, trying to crawl back to me. It was heartbreaking. He was gone the next morning.... I miss him so much...I feel so horrible. I hope he knew that I tried my best, and that I loved him....

Sorry for this lame thread...I know some people will think it's stupid to get this upset over "just a rat", but he was more than that. He was my friend...
I'm just having a really hard time...

What made it worse, was that when he was dying, I texted my friend, and she told me that that's why I shouldn't invest so much into my pets, that just like people, they die. Why would you say something like that to someone who is hurting??
  Send a message via AIM to thegirlnextdoor89 Send a message via Yahoo to thegirlnextdoor89  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: Oreo, my pet, died... - April 17th 2009, 03:43 AM

Hey Jen. I dont think its lame at all, we're just like that in my family. We have 3 pugs who are part of the family and we love them dearly. I also love animals in general, and I always feel so bad when one dies.

I actually love pet rats, we had one as a class pet in 5th grade and the older black one died so we were all really sad. I can totally understand why you would be so upset. Pets are like people, they need love, we give it to them, and we get attached to them. It makes me angry that your friend was so callous when you obviously loved Oreo very much. I hope you feel better soon though :hugs:

But wow, 57 pets? What all do you have? Im guessing fish?

Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.

Music is life. Start living.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Oreo, my pet, died... - April 17th 2009, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_crossd View Post
Hey Jen. I dont think its lame at all, we're just like that in my family. We have 3 pugs who are part of the family and we love them dearly. I also love animals in general, and I always feel so bad when one dies.

I actually love pet rats, we had one as a class pet in 5th grade and the older black one died so we were all really sad. I can totally understand why you would be so upset. Pets are like people, they need love, we give it to them, and we get attached to them. It makes me angry that your friend was so callous when you obviously loved Oreo very much. I hope you feel better soon though :hugs:

But wow, 57 pets? What all do you have? Im guessing fish?
Thank you, it's hard trying to explain the pet/owner bond to non-animal people...

Nope, no fish. Fish creep me out lol. (yes, i'm weird, fish creep me out but rats don't lol) I have a dog, 3 cats, 2 guinea pigs, a bearded dragon, a chinchilla, 2 fire-bellied toads, and 47 rats.
  Send a message via AIM to thegirlnextdoor89 Send a message via Yahoo to thegirlnextdoor89  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
ItsMe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Oreo, my pet, died... - April 17th 2009, 04:28 AM

I too lost a pet (dog) a few years ago. What made it worst it that he suffered for a few weeks... and all this time I was in anothe country. So I didn't even get to see him... Don't worry, the pain will pass... just remember the good times.

And if you let me say this... 47 rats? wow... just don't ever get an elephant as a pet too!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Oreo, my pet, died... - April 17th 2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
And if you let me say this... 47 rats? wow... just don't ever get an elephant as a pet too!
Yep, I'm weird. But I really like them. They're very sweet.
Lol no elephants for me!
But I really want an alpaca soon.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: Oreo, my pet, died... - April 17th 2009, 04:58 AM

Lol, alpaca...but 47 rats! where do you keep them all, do they have like their own room?!
But I must say that is probably the most diverse group of pets I've ever heard!
Aw, I love fish! I want a huge aquarium one day when I have my own place

Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.

Music is life. Start living.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
JustAmelia Offline
Forever~AMZ<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amelia

Re: Oreo, my pet, died... - April 17th 2009, 06:50 AM

Let me just say,
I'm sorry for your loss.
Your friend is
incredibly heartless.
You aren't crazy.
You're not the same as me,
making you different from me
but you're normal.
:]
Oreo still loves you.
You'll get through this.
Like Sam said,
Remember the good times.
And try to smile.
PM me anytime

<3LoveLoveLove<3
~JustAmelia~
Keep Smiling.
Remember, you are not alone.
ToWriteLoveOnHerArms.
LoveIsTheMovement.
Don't try to wake me up even if the sun does come out tomorrow.
Don't believe anything I say, anymore.
  Send a message via AIM to JustAmelia  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Live●Laugh●Love
Not a n00b

Location: In my own world in my mind, away from the pain and hurtful eyes

Re: Oreo, my pet, died... - April 22nd 2009, 05:51 PM

Aww, I know what your going through. I lost our 2 cockatiels a year ago. I still miss them so so so much. It's not lame. This may soud really horrid but it's the way I feel. I actually miss my pets more than my family. All my family gave me was pain, pets loved me back. Stay strong.
Wow, 47 rats! Thats a lot. I have a bearded drangon too. Hope you feel better soon.

XxBrokenSmilesxX

Reach for the moon,

If you fall you'll land among the stars

(#9 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Oreo, my pet, died... - April 22nd 2009, 06:38 PM

Hey Jen,

You shouldn't in the least bit feel bad for posting this. Pets are a special part of their owners lives and really start to feel like family. I have 6 pets myself and I know if I lost any one of them I would be devastated. Many people don't understand the attachment and the bond that forms between pets and their owners. I am sure you did the very best you could for Oreo. You comforted him all through his last night and I'm positive that you made him feel safe and loved. Have you thought of any way to honor Oreo's memory? When my cat, Mr. Kitty, died I hug his collar on my wall to remember him. Maybe you could write a poem, write a short story, draw a picture, or make a photo collage in remembrance of Oreo. I know on Esty (www.esty.com) I have seen Oreo cookie jewelry. It is just an idea but it might be nice to buy something like that so you could remember him every time you wore it. I'm really sorry you had to lose such a special pet. Take care and hang in there. Oreo will always be be alive in your memories.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

Closed Thread