TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
William Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

My Rabbit just died - what should I do? - April 29th 2009, 08:32 PM

Hi,

Basically just went to feed my rabbit, to find that he was dead .

He was about 4 or 5 - is that a good innings for a rabbit - I thought they lived for like 8 years. Also, he had one of those hutches where he lives outside with a run below his hutch and he can just hop up and down as much as he likes. Do you think he died during the night because of the cold? He had only been in this run for about 3 weeks, he used to live indoors.

Anyway, I want to know what to do with him - do I just sling him in a bin? Sounds a bit harsh...

I'm shaking, so sad.

Also, he wasn't ill or anything - seemed in good health but hadn't been to the vet for a few years...

Last edited by William; April 29th 2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Deadpool Offline
Chat Mentor

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: My Rabbit just died - what should I do? - April 29th 2009, 08:36 PM

Well you could bury him in your garden. I did that with my old hamster. I'd say just do what feels right, don't bury him if you don't want to. I know it's sad when a pet dies, even if it's not a dog or a cat. I'm dreading when my hamster dies.

All I really need's a smile, smile, smile

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: My Rabbit just died - what should I do? - April 29th 2009, 08:51 PM

Hey William, I'm really sorry that you had to find your bunny like that, I know that that must have been hard on you. I know it might be overwhelming right now for you, but I'd try your best to try and clear your mind and focus on what you need to do now and how to feel better about this. I'd suggest asking someone to help you bury him, maybe in a special place in your back yard that you think he would have liked. Maybe bury something that he used to like with him so that it makes you feel a bit more comfortable burying him. I wouldn't do it by yourself, I'd ask someone to help you and stand by you while you bury him, just to make the whole ordeal a lot easier for you. Best of luck

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: My Rabbit just died - what should I do? - April 29th 2009, 09:16 PM

My rabbit had to be put down last year, we didn't know he was ill til we took him to the vets, he was only 5 years old, and the vet said that's quite a normal age for them to die / start becoming ill.
It is really hard I know. Our vet offered cremation, for anyones pets who were treated there, not just ones they had put down, so that might be an option.
If you decide to bury him, try and find something to put him in (a shoebox) just to stop animals 'smelling' him. My friend had her rabbit dug up again, which made losing her much worse.

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#5 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: My Rabbit just died - what should I do? - April 29th 2009, 09:27 PM

Hey William,

I also used to have pet rabbits. Neither of them are still alive today. I really can't tell you if it was the cold that got to him but you have to realize that everyone makes mistakes. Even if it was the cold that got to him you can't control the weather and it isn't your fault. When I was younger my babysitter put my rabbit cage outside because I needed to clean it. I got home from school to find that Pogo had died of a heat stroke during the day. Now I could have blamed my babysitter for putting him in the sun, I could have blamed myself for not cleaning his cage sooner, or I could have even blamed my parents for not letting me get a bigger cage for him. None of this blame would have helped me any and it surely wouldn't make me feel any better about what happened. The fact of the matter is that everyone makes mistakes and accidents happen. After Pogo's death we had a little 'funeral service' in our back yard. After burying him I planted some flowers around his grave. Anytime I wanted to remember Pogo I'd go sit by the flowers. I think burying your pet helps you make peace with what happened and allows you to say goodbye. I would ask the rest of your family to participate in the burial. That way it isn't so hard on you. Take care and hang in there.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
s_tor_m Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Tor

Re: My Rabbit just died - what should I do? - April 29th 2009, 09:41 PM

Hey there. I know how you feel, my rabbit died when I was the same age as you, I know it's hard. Mine also had an outdoor hutch and he died from the rain and the cold, so it's possible that's what happened to yours as well. I don't think not taking him to the vet made a difference. The rabbit I have now I've had for 7 years and I've never taken him to the vet and he's still happy and healthy. Just know that it's not your fault he died. Like Mimi said, you can't control the weather.

What I did when mine died was I put him in a box and buried him in my yard. I do that will all my animals that die, it's more respectful than "slinging him in a bin." Just do whatever you feel is best.

Hang in there
-tor

"Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional."

There is a world of difference
between refusal and failure.

Send a message via MSN to s_tor_m  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Live●Laugh●Love
Not a n00b

Location: In my own world in my mind, away from the pain and hurtful eyes

Re: My Rabbit just died - what should I do? - May 3rd 2009, 08:51 AM

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your rabbit. It's always hard losing a pet. I may not be the cold, animals hide illness. My birds died a few years ago they both seemed very healthy until they passed away. I suggest burying him with some of his favourite things, plant some flowers around him. My parents threw my birds away, I never got to say goodbye. Trust me it's horrible to know they're rotting on some smelly rubbish pile. If he's buryied when you feel sad you can go down to see him, knowing where he is. I'm sorry to hear what happened. Stay strong.

Reach for the moon,

If you fall you'll land among the stars

Closed Thread