TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Karen

My dog died, but I... - June 12th 2015, 08:33 AM

This is actually old news because it happened months ago at the beginning of 2015. Then again, I need to get this out of my system because of reasons.

My mom adopted a little dog from her friend because she couldn't devote her time and money to take care of it. My mom was so overjoyed that she played with the dog and took him out for a walk every day. I and my brother eventually took liking to him and soon, our dog had a place in our hearts, except for my father.

One day, my dog got sick. He looked pale and seems to have no stamina, even just to walk. Whenever we touched him, his body was hot similar to a fever. My mother, thanks to my father's know-it-all suggestion, gave our dog over the counter medication solely for humans and didn't take him to the vet.

Needless to say, his condition worsened and by the time we took him to a vet, it was too late. He died from lack of oxygen. She then learnt that our dog has been infected with parvo virus. When my mom came back home, I and my brother asked why she was crying. We finally knew the answer. It was the first time my brother cried for something else, and truly, it was our first experience of losing a precious pet.

Deep down, however, I couldn't bring myself to cry while hearing the news. I don't know if I was too sad to cry or just plain heartless. I felt like I was wrong not to cry. Up until now, I've been thinking, "gosh, I must be an evil jerk for not being able to grieve. I couldn't cry although I've forced myself to."

I, my mom, and my brother have moved on and accepted his death. The only thing that keeps bugging me is the fact that I wasn't able to shed a tear when our dog died. I think I was horribly wrong for not having emotions.

Articles Team Member // Buddy (20/01/2014 - 30/08/2014) // Associate HLM // Article Editor

Send a message via Skype™ to Konohana Sakuya 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: My dog died, but I... - June 12th 2015, 03:42 PM

Everybody grieves in their own way. Some people never cry and others will take a while before it hits them. Don't worry that you haven't shown any emotions

Can't stop now, I've traveled so far. - Foreigner

I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance. - Garth Brooks

Assoc Live Help Mentor from 11/23/2014-1/17/2015, 8/8/2015-

Live Help Mentor from 1/17/2015-8/8/2015

SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: My dog died, but I... - June 13th 2015, 02:27 AM

Not everyone cries when someone close dies. Its perfectly normal. Sometimes it takes weeks for the realization to kick in that they're gone. When my Grandma died, I didn't cry until weeks later. Its ok not to cry though. Don't feel too bad about it.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: My dog died, but I... - June 14th 2015, 02:39 AM

Like it's been said, you're not a horrible person for not crying. It can be hard to cry when you lose someone close to you. Everyone grieves differently and there is no right way to grieve. So, give yourself some time to work through your feelings in regards to your dog.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: My dog died, but I... - June 16th 2015, 06:51 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. As was said above, there is no "appropriate" way to react to a loss such as this. You are entitled to deal with this situation in whichever way you deem fit. Best wishes.

Closed Thread