TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Do I have to mourn? - June 14th 2015, 05:24 PM

My grandma is going to die soon. Her dementia is getting pretty bad and my grandpa is so bad at taking care of her that her stage 3 kidney disease is probably going to move to stage 4 within a month. She's 84 years old and she's been around my whole life, but I just kind of want it to be over with. I'm not in any emotional pain even though I love my grandma, but I just want her suffering to be done. I feel like I'll be able to move on pretty easily, without more than a day or two to mourn. So I've easily accepted that she's gonna die and she'll move to a better place, but is that healthy? Or should I really get into the spirit of mourning and do what everyone else is doing?
For what its worth, nobody close to me has died yet, but when I go to funerals for non-close people, I don't cry, but I sit there and think, "Lucky. Your in heaven... have fun!" At least I don't say it, thats pretty insensitive.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Do I have to mourn? - June 14th 2015, 06:42 PM

Hey Robert,

Sorry to hear the situation with your grandma. Mourning is different for everyone, even family members may go through a different mourning process to each other. However you feel about this is fine. There is no right or wrong way to feel.

I know from experience that with dementia in particular, it's a disease that changes the person over some time, and it may be that you have gone through a lot of the feelings of mourning before. You may have already felt some loss because, whilst your grandma is physically there, at the same time she isn't the same person you remember.

It's also very natural and understandable to want the suffering to be over. I think this feeling comes out of love for the person- it's very hard to see someone you love in pain.

Even though you say that you aren't in any emotional pain, it's still important to look after yourself at this time and if any feelings do crop up, to talk about them too.

Take care

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Do I have to mourn? - June 14th 2015, 06:49 PM

Holly said it perfectly, there's no wrong way to feel or right thing to do. However you deal with this is perfectly fine. Don't be surprised if you react differently than you expect to and don't feel like you have to grieve like everyone else. The same thing happened to me when my granddad died. It was my first real close loss too, but we weren't close at all and I think I was the only one who didn't cry and pretty much had no reaction. Don't feel bad about that. It might be a little awkward for you if everyone else is crying and you're not, but there's nothing wrong with it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Do I have to mourn? - June 14th 2015, 06:52 PM

Hey,

I'm really sorry to hear about your grandmother but I can relate. My grandmother has dementia and doesn't know me anymore. Like what Holly said, dementia changes over time and mourning is a slow process that people go through as they see their loved one decline. People with dementia are already gone in that they're physically present, but not mentally. Everyone mourns differently and whether you mourn the loss of your grandmother is up to you; there's no right or wrong way to mourn. It seems like you've accepted the fact that you're losing her and that's okay. Do make sure you let yourself feel any feelings that come your way, though.

I'm here if you need anything.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Do I have to mourn? - June 15th 2015, 07:57 PM

Hey Robert,

Everyone deals with the death of a loved one in different ways, there is no right or wrong way to grieve for someone. I think sometimes because we are expecting the death of someone we think it is going to be easy to deal with. Yes it's a comfort to know that at least you get the opportunity to say goodbye.

My nan passed away not so long ago and we knew she was going to die. When my nan did finally pass I cannot tell you how relived I felt, for my nan to know that her suffering was done. I kept thinking 'is this a normal way to feel, am I weird?' I come to the conclusion that I acknowledged my nan was in pain and she was suffering so therefore it was her time for that pain and suffering to be gone. Yes it still hurt that she was gone, but I knew she was where she wanted to be. So, I do understand the way you're feeling, all I will say is when your grandma does pass away your feelings may change as you have not lost someone close to you before. There is no way to grieve, some people deal with grief and may never cry and that is the way they deal with things, whilst others may cry for weeks on end before they start to feel a little better.

Is there anyone to help support your granddad, it sounds like he could be struggling to look after your grandma.

I wish you the best of luck,
Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#6 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Do I have to mourn? - June 16th 2015, 06:49 PM

As has already been said, there is no "right" or "wrong" way for you to react in a situation like this. You feel however you feel and I absolutely understand your viewpoint here. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother's condition. Best wishes to you and your family.

Closed Thread