TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Ellie

My father passed away.... - June 27th 2015, 04:18 PM

My daddy passed away Tuesday night in his sleep from a massive heart attack. I've been devastated for the last few days and feeling scared and alone. He died in Costa Rica and I live in the state of Florida so truly the distance has kept me in shock.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: My father passed away.... - June 27th 2015, 04:55 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss. My condolences and best wishes to you and your family.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: My father passed away.... - June 28th 2015, 02:18 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't begin to imagine what you're going through right now.

Your dad passed away very recently, and the shock is understandable. It seems like you're in shock so you can protect yourself from feeling everything you would feel if you weren't in shock. I think your body is trying to protect you from the intensity of everything. Is there anyone you trust that you can talk to? You don't even have to talk to anyone, but sometimes just being in the presence of someone else can help so you know that you're not alone in this.

Right now, I think the best thing you can do is focus on taking care of yourself. Take baby steps and let yourself feel whatever you're feeling. Don't deny your feelings, let them run their course. I know that the sadness of losing someone can make self-care difficult, so focus on self-care. Try to let yourself get through the day, the night, or each hour if you have to look at it that way.

Hang in there and remember that we're here for you.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: My father passed away.... - June 28th 2015, 06:40 AM

Hi, Ellie.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I can't imagine how you must feel right now.

Being in shock is understandable considering the circumstances. Losing your father cannot be easy, and you'll probably feel many types of feelings so remember that it's normal. Letting yourself feel and letting yourself talk about those feelings is a step towards healing. Perhaps you could write your feelings in a journal?

Do you have anyone in your life you can talk to about this? Being able to turn to someone if you feel like talking could be a huge help. You deserve support instead of going through this alone. Which is why you're more than welcome to continue writing here. On that note, you can message me if you'd like, okay? I don't mind listening.

In the meantime, take care of yourself and remember you aren't alone. My sympathies and condolences to you and your family.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: My father passed away.... - June 28th 2015, 08:26 AM

Hello Ellie,

I am truly very sorry for your loss.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Ellie

Re: My father passed away.... - June 29th 2015, 01:15 PM

I've been trying so hard to stay strong for my sake and the sake of my mother. If I fall apart, I pick myself back up because that's what my father would have wanted to see me do. I still cry; I think I will be grieving for quite a long time. I have been journaling my feelings since it happened and it helps quite a lot to just write things down as I feel them. I just want to keep feeling like he is alive but without knowing or feeling like he isn't. Because grasping the truth is what hurts me the most.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: My father passed away.... - July 4th 2015, 08:54 PM

I think losing someone to death can be one of the hardest things in life or it least it has been for me. And you're right, you probably will grieve for a while because grieving is a process and it takes time. I lost my friend last March and I'm still grieving for them. In a different way now though and it is that bit easier, but I'm still going through the motions but as hard as it is, you will get through it. You don't have to stay strong for other people either. If you need to have a good cry, allow yourself to do so; it can be a great way to release out emotions.

It's great you have been writing in a journal. Do you have anyone you can talk to about all of this? Sometimes talking to someone in "real life" can be really helpful too and is something I would want to encourage you to do. Don't be alone through out this. It's a big thing and you deserve to have the support around you.

I'm here if you ever need a chat but for now, keep fighting and stay safe.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Last edited by Palmolive; July 4th 2015 at 09:09 PM.

Closed Thread