TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

My Dream Predicted My Teacher's Death... - February 12th 2017, 03:56 AM

Hi! I rarely post to these forums, but I just need to rant/explain this entire situation so I can try to get a grasp on things. This may be long, but I'll put asterisks (*** ) by the important parts if you're one of those tl;dr people.

***About 98% of the things I dream come true. Back in August (or so) I had a dream that my entire school was at an assembly. They were showing a video to everyone there, and my government teacher (he's also our girl's basketball coach) popped up on screen. Everyone instantly began to cry. I woke up from the dream, unsure of what to think.***

Anyways, jump to January. I'm halfway done with my senior year, all my classes are going great, my teachers are fantastic! Our school is on a block system with eight classes total. We go to four classes on one day, and the other four the next day. It's pretty great because my schedule was arranged to where I have four core classes on one day, and all my electives on the other. I think that's really lucky if you ask me.
Because of this, if I don't feel good on my "elective" day, I can stay home and not have to worry about missing too much.

The flu was going around, and naturally, I caught it. I didn't go to school on my elective day (which was choir, creative writing, government, and food & nutrition.)
I came back the next day and everyone was outside. All of the students gather outside of the cafeteria, and administration opens the doors at 7:40. It was 7:53, and the doors were locked. I found a friend by the doors and asked her why they hadn't let us in. She said that multiple teachers had been crying, and were calling all the basketball players inside. We finally got in at 8:07.

***I went to my first period class, and my teacher was crying. The girl I sat next to was crying. I asked her why everyone was so upset, but she started sobbing so hard, she had to walk out of the class. My teacher sat down next to me and told me the news I was not looking forward to.
My government teacher died in a car accident last night. ***

I'm not going to use his name, but needless to say, it was very emotional for everyone. Over 700 people checked out of school that day. It's estimated that 200 just walked out.
I have felt guilty ever since that day, because I missed his class. I don't remember my last encounter with him. We never did anything in his class, we usually just watched Hamilton videos (as that was his favorite thing to do).

***One week later, our school was at an assembly. We were watching a video, and guess who popped up? My government teacher. Guess what everyone started doing? Crying. I had completely forgotten about my dream until this moment. The crazy part about it is that the POV and everything was exactly how I had dreamt it.***

***I don't know what to do. It's been about four weeks since his death, and I think about it every day. I sleep okay at night, but I overanalyze any dream I have now. I don't know why all of my dreams come true. I really wish they wouldn't anymore. I feel like somehow I could've warned him. I don't know how, but my self conscious is just all over the place. Our school had a memorial for him, and I know he's dead. But part of me still think he's alive. I just. I can't get over it.***

***If anyone could try to make sense of this, that would be great. Why do all of my dreams come true? How do I get over the fact that I actually...dreamt my teacher would...die? My entire school is still grieving, but I can't shake this guilt off my chest.***

Last edited by thesound.the1975; February 12th 2017 at 06:48 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: My Dream Predicted My Teacher's Death... - February 13th 2017, 09:48 PM

Hey,

I am really sorry for your loss and I hope posting about it helped you feel a little better.

I can't imagine how intense things must be for you with having your dreams come true like this. I don't know why your dreams come true and I can't relate on the same level. Occasionally dialogue I hear in my dream of half asleep state comes true, but not actual events, to my knowledge. I think you would benefit from talking to someone about the way your dreams come true and the feelings you're experiencing about this loss. Sometimes just talking to someone can do a world of good. With that said, is there anyone you can talk to? Maybe a teacher, counselor, parent, or a good friend?

You said you've been analyzing your dreams a lot. Maybe you can keep a dream journal and give yourself a certain amount of time per day to analyze your dreams so you don't do it as much. For instance, you may decide to think about your dreams for fifteen minutes a day. Over time, you can decrease the time you spend thinking about them.

I can see why you feel guilty and somewhat responsible but you are not responsible for this. This is not your fault and you had no way of warning him. Horrible things like this are unfortunate but this was not caused by something you did. I know it might be hard to believe this so maybe you can form some affirmations about it to repeat to yourself.

You mentioned your teacher has a memorial; maybe you can visit it and talk to him or you can write a letter and leave it there for him. Writing to him could help decrease the guilt you're feeling.

Take care of yourself and remember that TH is here for you.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread