TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
RiggedSystem Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Keaton Randolph

A way to remember your lost loved ones - May 10th 2017, 04:25 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of death or grieving, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

4 years ago I lost my little brother to sudden infant death syndrome. One of the ways that my therapist suggested coping with it was to do this. You write your loved one a letter. Say all the things that you wished you could have. Then get any helium-filled balloon, and tie the letter to the balloon. Stand outside, and let it go. You could also go to the grave site, and let it go there. I do this once a year, always on the day that he passed. I don't pretend to know if it gets to him, but I always like to think that it does. It's obviously not a miracle cure for your pain, but it helps. I hope everyone here uses this, and am sending good vibes to everyone who is suffering right now.

RiggedSystem

(P.S. If a staff member wants to move this to another section, feel free. I just thought that it would fit best here.)

Official writer and creator of The Rigged System, a blog for helping teens with mental health issues. Come check it out at:
http://riggedsystem.weebly.com/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: A way to remember your lost loved ones - May 10th 2017, 05:57 AM

First off I just want to say that I am deeply sorry for your loss. SIDS is a terrible thing and I cannot imagine how it feels to go through something like that.

I love the idea though, and I'm glad you've been able to use it to find a bit more peace with your brother's passing.

While I have been fortunate enough that nobody fairly close to me has passed away yet, I have lost many, many extremely close friends to situational occurrences, and I think the letter idea as a coping strategy would work even for losses like that too. I might try that.

Thank you for sharing! And again, I am very sorry for you to lose your brother. Stay strong!

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: A way to remember your lost loved ones - May 10th 2017, 11:52 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I really do like the suggestion that your therapist talked about. I feel that there are many things I would like to tell loved ones who passed away but never know how to do this. Thanks for taking the time to write this thread

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: A way to remember your lost loved ones - May 10th 2017, 01:37 PM

I am sorry for your loss. Losing your brother must have been really difficult.

Writing a letter, and then letting it go on a balloon is a nice way to remember a lost loved one.

I think I might try this soon. Thanks for sharing.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: A way to remember your lost loved ones - May 10th 2017, 07:56 PM

I think that's such a wonderful idea. Writing letters is a really good way to get the way you feel out in the open, and I'm glad that you've found a way to do this comfortably. I'm sorry about your loss though - I can't imagine what that must have been like. I hope you know that if you ever need anything, you have plenty of people here who are happy to listen.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: A way to remember your lost loved ones - May 10th 2017, 08:00 PM

I'm sorry for your loss, it must be difficult losing someone so close to you. I haven't had to deal with that yet and hope I don't have to soon. I think your therapist's idea of writing a letter and attaching it to a balloon is a wonderful way to cope with the loss. Everyone copes with loss differently, and I think this is an unique but brilliant way.

If you ever need to reach out to us for a chat or for support and advice, don't hesitate! You can also use HelpLINK or LiveHelp if you prefer.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: Kav

Re: A way to remember your lost loved ones - May 11th 2017, 05:50 AM

I am sorry for your loss. Losing your brother must have been difficult. I really like the idea your therapist suggested. I have written letters like this in the past but I'd usually just keep it with me. Letting it go in a balloon is actually a great idea. I think I might try this soon. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Also, if you need advice or just need someone to talk to, we are all here for you. You are not alone. <3

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread