TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hear my whispers in the dark..
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Unhappy 2 more of my pets died... - July 16th 2009, 12:04 AM

So, the night before last I went in to say goodnight to all of my pets (all 57 of them). I was saying goodnight to the rats in my room, and when I got to the cage by my bed, Remy was by the cage door, but Shyloh was curled up in the corner. I thought that was weird, because all of my rats are incredibly social and come to the door when they hear their names being called. But Shyloh must have died during the day. He was alive that morning, when I said good morning to him, and he looked fine. He was a pretty old boy, and he had some health problems in the past, but he overcame them. He was blind because of one problem he had, but he still acted like a little baby and bounced and ran everywhere and lived with his best friend. So I started crying, and went downstairs to tell my mom. Then I went back up, and I noticed that in the other cage in my room, Tucker (Shyloh's brother), was laying down and he didn't look well. By then I was sobbing, because Shyloh had just died and I knew that Tucker was dying. So I held him for a couple of hours and pet him and told him how much I loved him. Tucker was my quirky boy, he was VERY bossy to everyone around him, but he could be a complete cuddlebug. Him and Shyloh both were rex rats, which means they had curly fur which made them look and feel like teddy bears.
I wasn't with Tucker when he died. I knew he was dying, but rats don't like to die with people around, they will hold on so their owners don't get too sad. Before he died he was drifting in and out of consciosness (sp?), and I could tell he was trying so hard to stay with me. At one point he started boggling very very faintly. Boggling is what rats do when they are very happy. It's kind of rare when you catch them doing it, and I had never seen Tucker boggle before (their eyes vibrate. It sounds weird but it's sweet). But he did, and then I could tell it took alot of strength for him to do it, because he layed very still for awhile.
As it got later, I wrapped him in a blanket, and told him I loved him and put him in the travel carrier. He died while I was sleeping, a few hours later.
I am completely heartbroken. It's horrible when one pet dies, but to have 2 go within a few hours of each other is unbearable. I always feel like I should have done more for them while they were alive. Being that I have so many, it's hard to feel like I spent enough individual time with all of them. I try, but when they die, I always feel like I let them down....

Life isn't about worrying,
That's a waste of time.
And life isn't about being perfect,
It will never happen.
Life is about finding yourself,
And finding people who accept that person.

My PM box is always open!
  Send a message via AIM to thegirlnextdoor89 Send a message via Yahoo to thegirlnextdoor89  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
<:3 )~ Offline
squeak
Average Joe

Name: olivia

Re: 2 more of my pets died... - July 16th 2009, 12:53 AM

Aww Jen. I am so sorry to hear that. You sound like an amazing caretaker of all of your pets so don't have any regrets. I really admire you for giving all of them a loving home...it must not be easy.
Best wishes. x

Live and let live.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dancer*44 Offline
Helper
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kristi

Re: 2 more of my pets died... - July 16th 2009, 07:04 PM

Thats rough. I was devistated when we had to put my dog down. He was my best friend and then he got sick - when pets die it sucks.
Just take care of all your other ones and show them love.

Time will heal these wounds.
if you need anything PM me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
KittyCat2010 Offline
Live,Love,Laugh
Not a n00b

Name: Ashley

Re: 2 more of my pets died... - July 23rd 2009, 06:36 PM

i was absolutly devastated when we had to put my hamster dow, i didnt get to kiss him goodbye before he was put to sleep, i knew he wouldnt be coming home, but i wanted him to die at home with me in my arms,i loved him and i know he loved me,
its very hard losing a pet,
all of your pets are lucky to have you as their owner, your obviously a very loving and caring person,
i'm sorry for your loss,
make a memorial for them, for all of the pets you've lost, it may make you feel better

PHILIPPIANS 2:15
Then you will be innocent and without any wrong. You will be Gods children without fault. But you are living with crooked and mean people all around you, among whom you shine like stars in the dark world.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: 2 more of my pets died... - July 24th 2009, 07:50 AM

Hey there, Jen.

I'm really sorry to hear about Remy and Shyloh. =( Pets become more than just animals--they are a part of our families and definitely have special places in our hearts. Losing an animal can be just as devastating as losing a person, and I would imagine losing two of your pets so close together must be very hard on you.

It's all too easy to be too hard on ourselves. It seems most people expect more and better of themselves. I'm sure, though, that you were a great owner to both Remy and Shyloh, and that you will continue to be for the rest of your animals. 50+ pets is a lot to take care of, so it's understandable that you are concerned about giving them each enough individual time, but it sounds like you do a wonderful job of loving them and looking after them.

Take care, Jen. Remember that we're all here for you. Never hesitate to PM me if you need something, yeah?

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: 2 more of my pets died... - July 24th 2009, 03:26 PM

Hi Jen,

I'm sorry to hear about Remy and Shyloh. It is definitely hard to lose an animal. Just remember to stay strong. I'm here if you need anything!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread