TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

2 years since my uncle died - January 29th 2009, 05:11 PM

My Uncle died on Jan. 29th, 2007 (aka the anniversary is today). He died after a surgery he had to repair his heart. I know I should seriously just let go but I am kind of struggling with the fact that he is gone. He was the one person in my family I could always to talk to then when he died I got depressed and struggled with life.

Today was just a hard day knowing that it has been two years. It doesn't feel that long but I miss him like crazy.

Now my friend's uncle died today...which is so weird since my uncle died the same date two years ago.

It has just been a hard day either way.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: 2 years since my uncle died - January 29th 2009, 08:04 PM

Bri,

I want to tell you that I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I know how difficult it is when a loved one dies, and how impossible it can be to cope.

You don't have to have "let go." Grief does not have a time line. What I mean is... there is no specific day after we lose someone that we should feel all better. The truth is, there's no magic fix. It'll take time to come to peace with your uncle's loss, and that's okay.

You said you liked to talk to him. Maybe you still can? I know he can't respond, and I don't know if you believe he can hear you, but I do. Maybe it'll help, sometimes, to talk to him. Even if it's just in your head and not out loud.

Let me know if you need to talk, Bri. I'll be here. Take care of yourself.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Christinaa317o8 Offline
Christina
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Christina

Re: 2 years since my uncle died - January 30th 2009, 09:28 PM

The anniversary of my Uncle's death was January 23rd, it was 4 years and its STILL hard. It won't ever go away, it just gets easier to live with. I held his hand when he left, I'm thankful that I got to say goodbye. I'm sorry you had to lose someone so close, but I promise you that he's still with you. You can close your eyes and he will be there. All the time. That is the best advice I can give you, its the best I've ever gotten. I close my eyes when I really miss my dad, he's still here, it helps to talk, even if they can't respond out loud, I know what'd he'd say back. Try it. Honestly, it might helpp.
  Send a message via AIM to Christinaa317o8  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Jasna Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jasna

Re: 2 years since my uncle died - February 14th 2009, 09:45 PM

My grandmother died two years ago in much the same way, it would have been two years ago earlier this month. People who say it starts to hurt less over the years lie a bit, of course, the only difference is that life takes over, and it gets easier to stand, and if it does start to hurt less it doesn't happen over night or even over a small number of years. I don't think people ever really get over the death of someone important to them and there'll always be things that remind you of them, and you'll always have those days which are hard because they're significant and those moments where you remember something years ago that they said or when you went somewhere with them, for seemingly no reason. Life goes on, though. Don't let it ruin anything for you, that wouldn't be what your uncle would have wanted.

Closed Thread