TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
butterflybelle Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question How can I help him?? - April 19th 2011, 10:29 AM

My ex-boyfriend's mum died a few days before christmas last year.
We broke up before that, around November, I think.
He used to self-harm, but I managed to convince him not to and he always told me that he didn't feel the need to self-harm because I was his girlfriend.

That was part of the reason we broke up. I didn't feel comfortable having such a mentally unstable boyfriend because I was afraid of breaking his heart. So, after we'd been going out a few weeks, I told him I'd rather just be friends. He was upset, and he cut himself pretty badly in the days after, but then his parents noticed for the first time and sent him to counselling.

Not long after that, his mum died suddenly in the night. Of a hemorage or something. I was the first person he told. I wanted to be there to support him, but every time I talked to him, he ended up changing the topic until we were talking about our failed relationship again.

I stayed away, then. I didn't want to lead him on, especially with him in such a fragile state.
He's a little better now, and we talk every day at school, but I keep forgetting that he's been through such a traumatic thing, and I sometimes say insensitive things. I don't know what to say to him to make him feel better about himself and the situation. I want to help, but I don't want him to fall for me again. What should I do??

(#2 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: How can I help him?? - April 20th 2011, 08:28 PM

Hey,

I guess you can only be there for him so much. But you have to set clear boundaries with him and say you just want to be friends and want to be able to help him. Just listening and being there can mean an awful lot to some people. It can be difficult to know what to say to make him feel better but I think as long as you are sensitive and he knows you are there to support him as a friend then it should be ok. The main thing is just being clear with him so he doesn't get too close to you then feel let down when you don't want to be in a relationship.

I hope things go ok.

Believe
You can do anything you want to
:-)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
abreacti0n Offline
Scars are Silent Screams
Average Joe

Name: Maria

Re: How can I help him?? - April 22nd 2011, 04:31 PM

Exactly what Jen said but give it to him in soft and gntle way, as not to hurt his feelings to much.

The best thing is to listen to him, and just support him, be the person who cares

Hope everything goes fine

~ I am Lost Between Fighting and Giving Up ~

The light is always found at the end of a tunnel

Tumblr

PM / VM

Closed Thread