TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Reece (: Offline
ima' newbie (:
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Reece

my uncle. - August 8th 2011, 05:05 AM

right, this is quite hard for me, but my uncle died when I was about 6.

I always used to stay at his, his name was Geoffrey.
I always remember his smile, he wasn't the best person you could ever meet.

although because I don't remember him, His friends speak to me as if I can remember him, which I don't very much. I dated one of Geoffrey's friends daughter.

people say I got his eye's, His laugh, His smile.

I've never really spoke about him for a long period of time, like if someone bought up the topic i would make up an excuse to move on.

I've never told anyone that I miss him and meet him one last time even if it was for 10minutes.

I've never cried, made sad or anything until about a year and a half ago. Then all the emotions came at once.

my dad explained it all to me about 3 years ago, i wasn't phased by it because I didn't know what he meant. I never understood why i was unable to speak to him again, but now i know it was cause he passed away.

my dad didn't tell me the truth because i was young, i would of never understood.

as much as I think about it. i don't understand now.

i don't know what to think any more, Geoffrey seems to be on my mind too much. I know he's my uncle but I was 6 when I last seen him, I barely remember him.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: my uncle. - August 8th 2011, 12:47 PM

Reece.... you have a wonderful name. And so should your smile be, when you realize after this message that... your uncle would want you to smile and be happy. so smile and stay strong.

Your uncle would be so happy !

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ima' newbie (:
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: my uncle. - August 8th 2011, 01:40 PM

Thanks, and i try and try, but i supposed it's quite saddening when i think about him :/

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: my uncle. - August 8th 2011, 07:48 PM

Hey Reece,

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. Even though he died a while ago, coming to the actual realization that he passed away must be difficult. You were young when you last saw him and like you said, you didn't understand. Now that you're old enough to process the information, it's most likely a shock for you. I think for most people, mortality is a distant concept. They know people pass away, but until they have an actual brush with it, like experiencing a loved one passing or becoming ill, I'm not sure anybody really understands or, in a sense, believes it. The human brain is not wired to fully grasp death or what it means to die.

Hearing people always talking about him must be hard, too. Maybe you're even a bit curious. Here are all these people telling you that you look like your uncle, and maybe you begin to wonder: Who was my uncle? What kind of guy was he? Would I have liked him now? Maybe you feel a little bit of pressure sometimes, like you're supposed to be living in your uncle's footsteps. But of course, I can't say what you're feeling.

Could you talk to your dad about how you're feeling? I think it helps to surround yourself with caring people who can support you through the grieving process. Maybe you could also do something in memory of your uncle. You could visit his grave and put some flowers down, or make something. I'm not sure how your uncle died. If he died from a disease, you could donate to that specific charity.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I know it's hard. Take care of yourself!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ima' newbie (:
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: my uncle. - August 9th 2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Hey Reece,

Hearing people always talking about him must be hard, too. Maybe you're even a bit curious. Here are all these people telling you that you look like your uncle, and maybe you begin to wonder: [i]Who was my uncle? What kind of guy was he? Would I have liked him now?[/I

Thanks so much, yeah. i tried talking to my dad yesterday night about it, he explained he was a very nice person always hard working and was a nice "lovable" person but he was a handful at times as he was quite easily lead like my dad told me a story how he used to act at times; which i wont say in public but if you want to know, feel free to ask in a personal message.

yeah, what you explained is exactly how I'm feeling.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Darrenboy! Offline
my long tongue is long.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: my uncle. - August 11th 2011, 08:27 AM

your uncle is definitely an aweesome person

Those who have went through more pain than everyone else, and want to protect anyone and everyone they know and care for from that pain, are stronger than everyone.

we come, we help, we stick and never leave. pm me anytimeee!

Official member of the completely Unofficial free hugs Club !

I'm firing mah Hugs!

Closed Thread