TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Do people really class 'Twilight' as good literature? - April 6th 2013, 12:25 PM

This isn't one of those 'ugh Twilight is stupid' rant. I'm genuinely confused. :/

I was on GoodReads a little while ago and read a list of 'The 100 best books of the 21st Century'. All Twilight novels were included and it made me sad. The list was 'best' and not 'most popular'. I know we haven't had the 21st century for very long but do people really think something like that deserves to go in a list like this?

I watched a couple of the Twilight movies and didn't really understand the hype. The acting was unconvincing, the story was nauseating, the characters were just dull. It all just seemed a bit overrated, so I read the book to see if it was any better.

I'd like to say that this was where I suddenly saw why this franchise was so popular...but.. I just can't. The books weren't just uninteresting, they were badly written. The language was basic and the flowery adjectives repetitive. The whole thing seemed to be a slow-moving mash of purple prose. I soldiered on to the end of the second one and couldn't bring myself to try the third.

It just saddens me that people think this is good stuff. Why? Is it because today's world is so fast-paced that we rate books as 'good' just because of their simple language or because the way they mundanely describe every detail means we don't have to bother imagining it ourselves? What about books like 'All Quiet On The Western Front', 'The Bell Jar,' or even 'The Hunger Games' - this is good writing, this deserves hype. Twilight just does not. I can't understand it...

If anyone can give me a straightforward and convincing explanation of why they actually enjoyed the book, I'd love to hear it. Similarly if anyone agrees with me (not just for the sake of it, but with good reason) I'd like to hear an answer too. I'm not going to apologise if this has offended anyone. If you were offended by this you should probably reconsider your reading choices.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Do people really class 'Twilight' as good literature? - April 9th 2013, 01:42 PM

Those lists are primarily based on how much a novel grosses, as in how much money it makes. That's the general standard as to how "The Best" is decided. The best movies are all the highest grossing movies, the best books, best restaurants, etc.. And really, isn't that what most authors now are aiming for? To sell their books, they want to be the next Harry Potter where their novels fly off the shelf, to them that is what it means to be the best. I'm not saying all authors are like that, I know there are still quite a few real storytellers around but the vast majority of authors are just striving to be a best seller.

While it does suck (I'm not a fan of Twilight ) in that regard the author was successful and if that's the standard for that list she does deserve to be on it. However I would never regard any of the Twilight books to be any sort of literary genius, they just sold a lot of books and appealed to their target audience very well.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Do people really class 'Twilight' as good literature? - April 11th 2013, 03:58 AM

Twilight- I read them and I remember being frustrated with all four novels. I thought Bella was dull (there are other words that could be used but I won't) and she goes after a guy that is rather obsessive. In the real world Edward might be classed as a stalker (not to be rude). The writing ... I don't remember it all that well ... I just remember breezing through the novels.

I believe the books that are on those lists are there because of how many copies are sold and are not based on how good they are, necessarily. That is why I hardly every pay attention to those lists; sometimes I will look at them and see if I have read any of the books listed but I don't base my book choices off of that list.

Twilight is for a select audience as well, preteens. I can, in a way, understand why so many preteens/teenagers liked it. Romance, mystery and all that jazz.

I could say a lot more about it but you don't want a book about Twilight so I will stop.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Do people really class 'Twilight' as good literature? - April 11th 2013, 10:20 PM

No, I'm so glad someone else feels the same way! I know these lists are often based on popularity but it still made me sad... sad, I suppose, that they're popular in the first place..

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Do people really class 'Twilight' as good literature? - April 12th 2013, 05:47 PM

I liked the first book when I first read it in high school, I think the rest of the books are terrible. But I don't think they're "good literature". There's nothing special about them.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Do people really class 'Twilight' as good literature? - April 13th 2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
I liked the first book when I first read it in high school, I think the rest of the books are terrible. But I don't think they're "good literature". There's nothing special about them.
This is same for me. The first one was alright... however there were a lot of exaggerations, such as the fact that they seemed to have fallen "in love" in about three days.
After the first book, the plot just got worse. I think the author wanted to continue writing due to all the hype she got, but ran out of good ideas.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#7 (permalink)) Old
liddy Offline
Not a n00b

Name: lydia

April 21st 2013, 10:46 AM

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hayley williams of paramore loves twilight (decode) so HA

Last edited by Jack Lowden; April 23rd 2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: Do people really class 'Twilight' as good literature? - April 21st 2013, 11:23 AM

I never read Twilight and I don't plan on reading them or watching the movies anytime soon (I have my hands full with wrestling lol)

And liddy, WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: Do people really class 'Twilight' as good literature? - April 23rd 2013, 04:52 PM

I have read all of the Twilight books, and this is how I feel about them: They were okay. That's it, just okay. I won't say they were god awful and completely all around horrible, they were just alright. The movies, however, were god awful and all around horrible.

I do agree though, that the books are not THAT great. I'd say they're about average, at best. The books certainly don't deserve to be some of the "best books of the 21st century." Not by a long shot. I really don't understand why there's so much hype over them. Books like Harry Potter had understandable hype, I myself even went to the bookstore's midnight magic party for the release of the final book and my copy was reserved. But Twilight? No, not in a million years.

Once, way back when I was first reading the books, some girl saw me and she ran up to me freaking out, saying "OMGOMGOMG you like Twilight?! OMG, are you team Edward or team Jacob?!!" ...uuuuh...wha? Honestly, it was pretty creepy, I'd never even seen the girl before. I think it's really idiotic how the obsessive Twilight fans will start really fighting each other over their "team." Just ridiculous, in my opinion.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

Closed Thread