TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: bayleigh

book suggestions? - December 15th 2013, 04:14 AM

so i was wondering if anyone has book suggestions. i read ALL THE TIME. im about the biggest bookworm ever and i read really fast, so finding new stuff is very important. ill read almost anything, particularly sci-fi, fantasy, historical fiction, and dystopian novels. any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Creativity takes courage
-Henri Matisse

PM/VM me if you just need to talk. trust me, i don't mind

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DedeTHESeed Offline
Not in use anymore.
Average Joe

Name: xxxxx

Re: book suggestions? - December 15th 2013, 03:50 PM

"Wendy Everly knew she was different the day her mother tried to kill her and accused her of having been switched at birth" - Quote from the book"

My favourite book is by Amanda Hocking, and she wrote series - The Trylle series. The first book is called Switched, the second is called Torn and the third is Ascend.

I love these books because it can relate to people who always felt different in their own lives, and maybe one day it can take you on a great big adventure, meeting hot guys and having powers that can possibly change a portion of the world.

I recommend that you read it, it's addictive!

Dede
x

•We are just misguided ghost travelling endlessly•

• Knowledge is important. Words define us. We must protect our knowledge and pass it on whenever we can. If we are ever to become a society again, we must teach each other how to remain human•

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: book suggestions? - December 15th 2013, 04:08 PM

If you haven't read the A Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones books) then you should definitely read them!

I also really enjoyed the following books :
Hunger Games series - Suzanne Collins
Wicked Lovely series - Melissa Marr
Divergent series - Veronica Roth

If you're looking for a good way to find new book quickly then I'd suggest making a GoodReads account if you haven't already, I find all my books on there

Here's my profile on GoodReads of all the books I've read and ratings/reviews of them - https://www.goodreads.com/review/lis...ara?shelf=read
Hope this helps you find some good books to read

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Narrative. Offline
galaxy salad

TeenHelp Addict

Re: book suggestions? - December 16th 2013, 11:43 PM

I pretty much always have book suggestions, so let's see how it goes.

My first suggestion is anything by Philippa Gregory. I haven't personally read any of her works, but my sister (whose opinion is usually pretty reliable) really likes her. From what I understand she writes a lot of historical fiction.

I also really like the Sweep/Wicca (depending on where you live) series by Cate Tiernan. They're fantasy, easy to get through, and really quite addictive. I read the first book in almost a single sitting and bought the rest as soon as I could find them.

I'm assuming you've probably already read it, given you said you like sci-fi, but if you haven't you definitely need to read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the books that follow it, by Douglas Adams. Can't recommend them highly enough.

I'd also recommend anything by Terry Pratchett, if you like some comedy thrown in with your fantasy. I've only read a few of them but I've yet to come across any I don't like.

You could try The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare, which is young adult urban fantasy type stuff. I've only read the first three but I found them enjoyable and pretty easy to read. The movie adaptation of the first book, released earlier this year, was also reasonably good (although not terribly true to the book).

Finally, one of my all-time favourites: the Tomorrow series by John Marsden. It's Australian, so I'm not sure where you are or how easily you'll be able to get a hold of it, but I really love them. The basic premise is that a group of teenagers go camping, and when they come back they realise that Australia has been invaded; it's all about their attempts to at first stay alive, and then make a contribution to the war effort. It's not all action, though, and there's a lot of character development and themes which most people will be able to relate to.

Okay, I think that's it for now. Happy reading!

just because it hurts to go on
doesn't mean the battle can't still be won
;

(#5 (permalink)) Old
CaptainCastle Offline
Should I call you Captain?
Average Joe

Name: Ry

Re: book suggestions? - December 26th 2013, 07:33 AM

The Borrowers series - Mary Norton (you have probably seen the film, but it's a very different story)
The Immortals series - Alyson Noel
Artemis Fowl series - Eoin Colfer
Inkheart Trilogy - Cornelia Funke
The Thief Lord - Cornelia Funke
There's probably loads I can't think of right now, but that'll do for the moment.

PM/VM me anytime

Joined TH 24/06/05
  Send a message via MSN to CaptainCastle  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Beating the odds ~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mads

Re: book suggestions? - December 26th 2013, 07:01 PM

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini (this is about depression and recovery--don't read if it'll trigger you)
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey (sci-fi)

"Don't tell me you're not beautiful. You're the kind of beautiful the blind would see if we could figure out some way to give them three seconds of sight." -- Shane Koyczan

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: anonymous

Re: book suggestions? - December 26th 2013, 09:25 PM

Unwind series by Neal Shusterman
Skinjacker trilogy by Neal Shusterman
The Maze Runner series by James Dashner

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: book suggestions? - December 28th 2013, 11:28 PM

I just finished reading the book Divergent by Veronica Roth and it is pretty good. It might be something worth looking into. It is a trilogy so it should keep you busy for a while.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread