TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Need help in writing a scene - January 4th 2015, 06:10 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Okay so I'm working on this story where the female protagonist attempts to kill herself by drowning but is rescued by someone at the last moment. The scene somewhat goes in a manner that she is walking towards the sea as the water level slowly rises and she is getting immersed in water slowly.
I just wanted to know the mechanisms of drowning. Like, what exactly does one feel when water enters our system in volumes? Or where is the pain felt?

Also, if she is already in the water and almost unconscious, is it scientifically possible to resuscitate her without any medical help? Are there any aftereffects of this?

The girl does not know how to swim, so would the body's impulses still kick in and would she try to save herself involuntarily by struggling?

I hope this made enough sense :/
Any help would be amazing <3
Thanks!

All we can do is Keep Breathing...!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Need help in writing a scene - January 14th 2015, 04:37 PM

Hey there,

I haven't been through an experience like this but I'll try do my best to guide you a bit.

The psychological aspect can be subjective, it can depend on the kind of person that the protagonist is, the kind of experiences that she's had in her life. But since I am not a professional, I can't say for sure. You could talk to a psychologist/ counsellor in your school, ask if they've spoken to someone who has been through a similar situation. You can also try reading up blogs on the internet about people's experiences with drowning, though this could be triggering so be careful. You can also read up books. There is a short story by William Douglas in 12th's English book in CBSE curriculum. The book is called Flamingo, I think. You could borrow it from a senior if you follow CBSE in your school or download it from CBSE's website.

As for the scientific part, a doctor could help you the best. You could speak to the school nurse/ doctor and get their perspective.

I know that this doesn't really answer your questions but I wish you luck.

Take care.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Closed Thread