TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Book blog? - February 7th 2017, 04:08 AM

I've started a blog and it focuses on books. So far all I have are reviews and then TBR for the month of February.

I'm curious, if you were into blogs and liked to read what kind of topics would you like to see discussed?

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Book blog? - February 7th 2017, 04:35 AM

I would personally love to see reviews of books that might not be as well-known or are a little older. I've found that a lot of book blogs out there focus heavily on the "trendy" new releases, which can make it a bit difficult to find out about other great books out there that simply aren't as popular.

I also think a list of suggestions could be beneficial for your readers. For example, you could do something like "If you liked Gone Girl, here are some other books I think you might like." It just gives people another opportunity to branch out and discover new books/authors that they may not have found before.

When you get your blog up and running, let me know! I'd definitely like to check it out.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stormy Rainbow Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Book blog? - February 7th 2017, 03:26 PM

I myself would like to see reviews on books, and also lists of books for certain topics that you read and whether you would recommend them or not.

so like for example list of books about EDs:
Skinny: This was a really good book but it can be triggering
Anna games: This is good but it has a lot of stuff about weight and food. So be careful when reading it.

I also agree with Sammi like give recommendations to books that are similar to a book.

Maybe stuff like that.

I hope this helped a little bit.

Your Friend,
Frankie<3

|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Book blog? - February 7th 2017, 05:57 PM

Hey, I think starting a book review blog is an awesome idea! I look forward to following it when it's up and running. I know how much you love books of quality, so it should be nice!

I agree with Sammi in that you should cover books that are not as well-known/trendy or are a bit older. Also agree that you should recommend similar books to the one you are reviewing in the entry.

Best of luck! I'm very interested in following!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Book blog? - February 8th 2017, 03:46 AM

My blog is technically up and running. There are a few things I have to fix but I currently have five posts and I think four of those are reviews.

I was actually planning on reading one older sci-fi/fantasy novel a month and reviewing it since people right now focus on the new stuff.

I like the idea of reading lesser known books but that ones hard because I just read whatever. I am reading a lot of new releases right now but last year I read a lot of older stuff.

The 'if you like this book you'd probably like that' is a good idea but I'll have to figure out how I'll implement it.

I have a few other ideas I want to implement over the next couple of months. The biggest things that will be seen every month are Reviews and TBR's. I was also thinking of doing a wrap up to discuss books I might not have felt like reviewing and to also discuss how many books I was able to read in a month. Another thing I've noticed people doing is book hauls at I might try to do that as well. But, everything else is up in the air.

The suggestions have helped though.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: Kay

Re: Book blog? - February 8th 2017, 04:53 AM

Hi,

I haven't really read book blogs but I really look forward to reading yours. I think it is pretty neat that you have 5 blogs already. I like the idea of naming similar books. You could also name authors who write in the similar style/genre.

Some ideas that immediately come to my head when I saw the title book blog where -

If a renowned author is publishing a book, you could do an article before hand stating what their previous work is and what you expect from their upcoming book.

You could write about your take on adaptations. Like comparisons between the Harry Potter books and movies or any other book and movie/TV show.

I am sure we always come across books that are boring in the beginning but towards the end, they just turn amazing. You could do an article like "Books I am glad I stuck with, to the end." So, people reading those books who want to stop because they didn't like the first parts will continue reading to the end.

If you read a book that makes you angry, you could do a rant post about what made you angry and why you feel it wasn't justified. For eg. if you read a book where they female protagonist is shown to be unnecessarily weak or vulnerable. My examples might not make sense, I am just writing what came to my mind.

"Books I would like to own" So, we all read books from the library but there are some that we really want to add to our collection because they are pretty much the best things we ever read. So, you could do an article on that, maybe?

Do you own a huge collection of books? Maybe a post about "Books I wish I had not purchased?" I am sure if my mother wrote this, she'd name every single Mills and Boons that she purchased when she was a teenager. Don't even ask, my house is full of them and I don't let her keep any in my books shelf. Off topic, sorry.

"5 fictional women characters who are everyday heroes" (Right now I can hands down think of Hermoine and maybe, Jo March but it could be based on what books you read)

"10 quotes from books that will make life easier" or something like that.

You could do a lot of these listicles. They are all of over the internet and having worked for a blog, I was told that listicles are a favourite.

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread