TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

How do you read book series? - June 18th 2017, 06:09 AM

I am the type of person that prefers reading book series when all the books in the series have come out. I suppose the reason I am like this is because I was so invested in the Harry Potter novels but there was a period of time where J.K Rowling was rumored to have writers block because no other books had come out. I was a huge fan but due to the size I didn't re-read the later novels and due to that when a new one would come out there would be things that I had forgotten.

Now, I try and only read series that have all the books out or the last book in the series has a release date that is relatively close by.

What do you do?

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: How do you read book series? - June 18th 2017, 06:25 AM

I don't wait to read all the books or even look at if the series is completed. I will read whatever I find interesting and if it is in a series but I will reread all the previous ones before I read the newest one. I also read fast so that might have something to do with it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How do you read book series? - June 18th 2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smultroställe. View Post
I don't wait to read all the books or even look at if the series is completed. I will read whatever I find interesting and if it is in a series but I will reread all the previous ones before I read the newest one. I also read fast so that might have something to do with it.

I read fast too (Not quite as fast as you though ) but I think for me...a lot of the books I read that are series are fantasy novels and that usually means they are pretty big. Like, there is a trilogy I want to read and the first two books are out but one is close to a thousand pages and the other one is over a thousand. The third book has no release date and I think the second book came out in 2012. So, for me it's hard to get invested in a series that long knowing that the final book isn't out and has no set release date because I don't want to have to re-read two books that are 1,000 pages. I have noticed that I am more likely to pick up an uncompleted series if it is ... not super long...I suppose I don't have qualms about re-reading a series where the books are 400-500 pages since I can read a book that long in as short of a time as a day.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Matter Offline
The Space Essence
I've been here a while

Name: Sue

Re: How do you read book series? - June 18th 2017, 08:24 AM

I don't usually pay attention to whether the rest of the series has come out. I just read and if it's interesting I try to find the next book. But honestly, if the series isn't super outstanding, it's usually relatively easy for me to just move on to a different novel.
There are some exceptions, though. For example the Vespasian series by Robert Fabbri - I started reading it when only the 1st book had been released and 6 more were planned. I read them as they come out, but each time I have to look up the events that happened in previous books.
Then there's A Song of Ice and Fire by George Martin, which is an extreme example. The first book came out in 1996 and the last one is planned to do so around 2020. I read the whole series in 2013 and God, if they were shorter, maybe it wouldn't be so easy to fall behind. But since they're so complicated and long...
But anyway, I guess that if one loves a series, they'll wait for it no matter how long.

Life begins where fear ends

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: How do you read book series? - June 18th 2017, 09:33 PM

I normally don't wait, although I wish I did. There have been times I've completely stopped reading a series when it's not complete.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How do you read book series? - June 18th 2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Just Keep Swimming*~ View Post
I normally don't wait, although I wish I did. There have been times I've completely stopped reading a series when it's not complete.
That's actually another thing I have had happen. Like, I read Miss Peregrine's school for peculiar children when it first came out. I think I read it that week. It took a while for the second book to come out so I actually never read it. I only just completed the series last year.

I think that with some underhyped series it is actually really easy to not pick up the next books in the series if they don't come out right away etc. With Harry Potter, so many people read it, that you really couldn't forget about it or not know when the next book was coming out.

I think another reason I like to wait till most/all the books are out in a series is because I like to be able to binge read the series especially because some series end with a cliffhanger of some sort.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: How do you read book series? - June 23rd 2017, 07:10 PM

If it's a series of any kind: books, television, movies, etc., I want to wait until the whole thing has come out/been complete. That might be ten or fifteen years and of course there's the downside where your tastes or preferences can change during that time. But I am pretty impatient and hate waiting for a new season/book/etc. This is why I don't read or watch much TV these days.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

Re: How do you read book series? - June 23rd 2017, 10:32 PM

I will read what I have/what there is at that time
Like for one series, 2 out of 4 books were out when i started, so i read them
just before book 3 came out, i re-read the first two
and just before book 4 came out, i re-read the previous 3
so even if i know how many books there are to be when it's all done with, i'm always going to be much too eager to see what they are like to wait:P

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: How do you read book series? - June 24th 2017, 07:15 AM

For me, it depends on the series. If it's a very dense series with a lot of things to remember, like GoT, I try to wait until the series is completed or until there's a few installments out already. I'm very forgetful, so I don't like having long gaps in between. If the series is a lighter read where I can move from book to book and only need to remember major plot points, I'll generally pick them up before the series is completed if it sounds interesting.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

Closed Thread