TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Books about growing up and facing challenges - August 2nd 2017, 07:17 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

My niece recently graduated high school. She's been involved in an abusive relationship and has moved to a different city and is currently working. We don't talk much and I'm not sure if it's due to something I did or if it's just due to her being 18 and caring more about friends.

Anyway, I have two things planned for her Christmas gift. I want to give her some bath and body works items and I also wanted to give her some books with characters who are growing up and going through difficult things and are learning to overcome those issues.

I'm curious if anyone can make suggestions? I found one that will probably work but I was thinking of getting her two or three books (depending on price of each book)

I know my niece reads most genres so I think that she'd be likely to give any book a chance. I know she's not super picky about what she reads.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Books about growing up and facing challenges - August 2nd 2017, 08:07 AM

I have a couple that might work, but could be slightly young for her

Blindsided by Priscilla Cummings (14 year old girl progressively loses her vision and goes to a school for the blind)

After Ever After by Jordan Sonnenblick (two 13-year old friends (boys) deal with the aftermath of cancer treatments as well as school and girls) This one is also triggering for death/grief

Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson (17 year old boy battles depression/suicide) extremely triggering for suicide

If she doesn't mind Christian books Melody Carlson has several (including several series) with teenage girls as the main characters facing multiple different issues, but they are all VERY Christian/Faith-based..

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Books about growing up and facing challenges - August 2nd 2017, 10:49 PM

speak - laurie halse anderson
the torey hayden books are quite good - they can be quite triggering though..... i'd reccomend ghost girl or one child.
theres also the midnight dreamers by siobhan curham its like all about finding yourself etc

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.