TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Th book club - January 24th 2019, 09:48 PM

I started a Book club for TH but there wasn't a ton of interest. I'd like to try and get a book club going sometime this year but I'd be making changes.

The first change is that I'd be doing it every three months. That would be less of a commitment than every month.

I'm thinking of holding the discussions in threads. I believe I was holding discussions in the social group but I think the threads would be a better idea.

I'm wondering what would encourage you all to participate?

I probably wouldn't pick it up until March or later so there's time to discuss and figure out what will make it run smoother.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Matter Offline
The Space Essence
I've been here a while

Name: Sue

Re: Th book club - January 25th 2019, 03:21 PM

Hi,
I'm interested in taking part and I believe it's a very good idea to do it every three months instead of every month. What's more, discussions in threads would be easily accessible and visible for everyone. I don't know how your previous book club functioned - did you use to pick one novel or a few for people to choose? In my opinion allowing to choose from two or three books would encourage more TeenHelpers to participate, as one book might sometimes prove uninteresting or unsuitable for some. What about creating two separate categories for prose and poetry?

Have a good day,
xx Sue

Life begins where fear ends

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Th book club - January 25th 2019, 05:11 PM

I'm up for this!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Th book club - January 25th 2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikigai View Post
Hi,
I'm interested in taking part and I believe it's a very good idea to do it every three months instead of every month. What's more, discussions in threads would be easily accessible and visible for everyone. I don't know how your previous book club functioned - did you use to pick one novel or a few for people to choose? In my opinion allowing to choose from two or three books would encourage more TeenHelpers to participate, as one book might sometimes prove uninteresting or unsuitable for some. What about creating two separate categories for prose and poetry?

Have a good day,
xx Sue

I've actually thought of giving an option. I'm part of a book club in real life and we usually have two books. I find this works better for me because it does give me more options.

I might consider doing this for th but there aren't a lot of people who participate so I worry it might lead to less discussion.

Since the book club is a work in progress this is something I could try at some point.

I know my book club usually does one fiction and one nonfiction but there could be other categories as well. I think my in real life book club also did short stories, plays and things like that.

I think discussion in the forum is way more accessible so we could get more guests who might be interested and will see the threads when they browse.

I used to let people vote on selections so maybe that's a way to implement choices. The top two choices will be chosen which would mean if one book lost by one vote we'd still be able to discuss it.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount40

Edit avatar

Re: Th book club - February 24th 2019, 09:22 PM

I like the new changes you plan on making to the Book Club. I agree that it would be better to do it every three months as opposed to every month, to have the discussion to be held on threads as opposed to the social group because nobody ever looks at those, and having more than one book option for THers to read.

I like what Sue said about having more options of books to read, such as poetry. I think we should include all forms of literature excluding fan-fiction, anime, magna, and comic books. I know there are users on here that like to read fan-fiction, but they might be very out-there fandoms that nobody else will read. I know I have a couple suggestions for great fan-fics, but I don't know if anyone are familiar with those fandoms. The same goes with anime, magna, and comic books.

But! That's not to say THers can't utilize the threads to discuss their favorite fan-fic, anime, magna, or comic book. I encourage it!