TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

View Poll Results: Pick a book!
The Black Witch 2 66.67%
Renegades 0 0%
Black Prism 1 33.33%
The Thousand Names 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Help me pick a book - March 2nd 2019, 10:39 PM

At the rate I get through books this probably won't be the next book I get to but it will be a book I try and get to at some point in the month of March.

Here are the books you have to choose from:

The Black Witch by Laurie Forest:

Quote:
A new Black Witch will rise…her powers vast beyond imagining.

Elloren Gardner is the granddaughter of the last prophesied Black Witch, Carnissa Gardner, who drove back the enemy forces and saved the Gardnerian people during the Realm War. But while she is the absolute spitting image of her famous grandmother, Elloren is utterly devoid of power in a society that prizes magical ability above all else.

When she is granted the opportunity to pursue her lifelong dream of becoming an apothecary, Elloren joins her brothers at the prestigious Verpax University to embrace a destiny of her own, free from the shadow of her grandmother’s legacy. But she soon realizes that the university, which admits all manner of people—including the fire-wielding, winged Icarals, the sworn enemies of all Gardnerians—is a treacherous place for the granddaughter of the Black Witch.

As evil looms on the horizon and the pressure to live up to her heritage builds, everything Elloren thought she knew will be challenged and torn away. Her best hope of survival may be among the most unlikely band of misfits…if only she can find the courage to trust those she’s been taught to hate and fear.

Renegades by Marissa Meyer:

Quote:
Secret Identities. Extraordinary Powers. She wants vengeance. He wants justice.

The Renegades are a syndicate of prodigies — humans with extraordinary abilities — who emerged from the ruins of a crumbled society and established peace and order where chaos reigned. As champions of justice, they remain a symbol of hope and courage to everyone... except the villains they once overthrew.

Nova has a reason to hate the Renegades, and she is on a mission for vengeance. As she gets closer to her target, she meets Adrian, a Renegade boy who believes in justice — and in Nova. But Nova's allegiance is to a villain who has the power to end them both.

Black Prism by Brent Weeks:

Quote:
Guile is the Prism, the most powerful man in the world. He is high priest and emperor, a man whose power, wit, and charm are all that preserves a tenuous peace. Yet Prisms never last, and Guile knows exactly how long he has left to live.

When Guile discovers he has a son, born in a far kingdom after the war that put him in power, he must decide how much he's willing to pay to protect a secret that could tear his world apart.

The Thousand Names by Django Wexler:

Quote:
Captain Marcus d’Ivoire, commander of one of the Vordanai empire’s colonial garrisons, was resigned to serving out his days in a sleepy, remote outpost. But that was before a rebellion upended his life. And once the powder smoke settled, he was left in charge of a demoralized force clinging tenuously to a small fortress at the edge of the desert.

To flee from her past, Winter Ihernglass masqueraded as a man and enlisted as a ranker in the Vordanai Colonials, hoping only to avoid notice. But when chance sees her promoted to command, she must win the hearts of her men and lead them into battle against impossible odds.

The fates of both these soldiers and all the men they lead depend on the newly arrived Colonel Janus bet Vhalnich, who has been sent by the ailing king to restore order. His military genius seems to know no bounds, and under his command, Marcus and Winter can feel the tide turning. But their allegiance will be tested as they begin to suspect that the enigmatic Janus’s ambitions extend beyond the battlefield and into the realm of the supernatural—a realm with the power to ignite a meteoric rise, reshape the known world, and change the lives of everyone in its path.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Matter Offline
The Space Essence
I've been here a while

Name: Sue

Re: Help me pick a book - March 3rd 2019, 08:14 AM

I haven't read the other novels, but the Black Prism was good. Now there are 4 parts of the Lightbringer series from what I know, but I had started the 4th book when it came out and then put it away because the story became dull for me. The first three books are worth it nevertheless.

Life begins where fear ends

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Help me pick a book - March 3rd 2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikigai View Post
I haven't read the other novels, but the Black Prism was good. Now there are 4 parts of the Lightbringer series from what I know, but I had started the 4th book when it came out and then put it away because the story became dull for me. The first three books are worth it nevertheless.

There's currently four and from what I know there's a fourth one that's coming out this year. That's one of the reasons I want to try and get to it, see if I like it and want to continue with the series.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Help me pick a book - March 6th 2019, 06:26 PM

I'm listening to the Black Witch right now and will probably try to get to Black Prism this weekend or next.

I can say I'm enjoying The Black Witch.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Help me pick a book - March 8th 2019, 05:14 AM

I finished listening to the black witch and I will be continuing the series but it was only a 3 star read. I know a lot of people loved the novel but I was only mildly impressed. It seemed like the typical YA fantasy. I did like some of the relationships that formed in the book and I can't wait to see them explored in the next book. The book is worth checking out if you like YA fantasy. It has a lot of positive aspects but because I read so much fantasy I wasn't amazed by it. I would still recommend it to those who like YA fantasy or those who want to explore the fantasy genre.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread