TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Books and Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper

Name: George

What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - April 10th 2012, 03:31 PM

So, like the title says, what are some of your favorite books and why are they?

My favorite books have to be The Help, The Secret Life Of Bees, Keeping You A Secret, Luna, and a few others.

I like them because they're written well, The Help was really good and so was the movie (Even if it did kind of feel like it changed a bit), The Secret Life Of Bees was amazing, and I wish there had been more to the story, Keeping You A Secret and Luna because they were written well and both of them kind of ended at a good note that leaves you wondering what happens next, but in a good way.

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - April 10th 2012, 03:34 PM

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin has got to be my favourite series of all time so far.

I also really like the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr and the Need series by Carrie Jones.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - April 10th 2012, 11:50 PM

I like Catcher in the Rye, mostly just because I like the writing style & the storyline. I also like the Pendragon series, mostly just because I like those type of books. Same with Artemis Fowl & Harry Potter. I also really like the Hunger Games, because I like demented things.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - April 11th 2012, 12:51 AM

Oh my GOD I have a lot of these. I like anything by Jodi Picoult because she can really get me predicting and leaving me in suspense. Anything that's by Ellen Hopkins can just wrap me in and bring out my emotions. Then "Wintergirls" by Laurie Halse Anderson, "Cut" by Patricia McCormick, "It's Kind of a Funny Story" by Ned Vizzini, oh God, AND MORE. Those ones just really bring out my emotions.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - April 13th 2012, 10:22 AM

Anything by Terry Pratchett. The Harry Potter books. Anything by Sarah Dessen. Anything by Philip K Dick, but Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep in particular. Sherlock Holmes. The Hunger Games. Artemis Fowl. Anything by Marita Conlon-Mckenna.

I love science fiction. I love books that are exciting. I love fantasy. And I love really well written stories with great characters.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - April 16th 2012, 05:40 PM

Umm... this is really hard because I have lots of favorites. Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings stand out. I've enjoyed Hunger Games so far. I really like fantasy and sci-fi in general, as well as horror/suspense/mystery. Very similar to my taste in movies, actually.

~Cody

Normal User

(#7 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - April 28th 2012, 01:28 AM

I feel like I mention this book in every Literature thread, but White Oleander by Janet Fitch is definitely my favorite book. It's so full of beautiful passages; even the really sordid parts of the story seem lovely. It's insane how much that book influenced both myself and my writing. Seriously. Read it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - April 28th 2012, 02:17 AM

I love Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk. I like a few more of his books, but this one stands out to me.
Looking for Alaska by John Green is also one of my favourites. :]

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - April 28th 2012, 04:22 AM

Sorry that I haven't been replying- I forgot that I made this thread! My book list has become like, a whole bunch more longer.

Moyshi239, John Green is amazing! I've just started "The Fault In Our Stars", and omg, I already love all the characters and stuff.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - April 29th 2012, 07:37 PM

I adore John Green.
I can't choose one...Veronika Decides To Die - Paulo Coelho is pretty good. Uhhhh. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is one of my all time favourites, it's easier to relate to. Catcher in the Rye and On The Road. To Kill a Mockingbird...I read a lot.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - April 29th 2012, 07:53 PM

The Handmaid's Tale, Memoirs of A Geisha, The Little Friend, The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and anything Redwall xD

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - April 30th 2012, 02:06 AM

Oh, when I posted I forgot to add "Luna" to the list. It made me feel. A lot.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - April 30th 2012, 08:58 AM

These days it is The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern.

All we can do is Keep Breathing...!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Grapefruitlife Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - May 3rd 2012, 01:43 AM

Favourite novel:
Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin, because it's so gentle and charming and odd. Makes me want to be in San Francisco in the 70s.
Michael Chabon's Mysteries of Pittsburgh, because it's also gentle and well written, but in a completely different way.
American Gods by Neil Gaiman, because it's both utterly horrible and enchantingly romantic.

Favourite non-fiction: It's a draw between Camp: Queer Aesthetics and the Performing Subject -- a Reader by Fabio Cleto (it's awesome!!!!), England's Dreaming by Jon Savage (because I adore anything Jon Savage writes and it's the only book on Punk worth reading and Nature's Metropolis by William Cronon (because it's so accessible and I adore his style)

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - May 5th 2012, 02:49 AM

Hmm... Lets see.
*Hunger Games because i just love the series
*Define 'Normal' because its just amazing
*Harry Potter because i grew up with them
*The Help
*Just Listen
*Catalyst
I love so many more but these are the ones i can think of off the top of my head.

From day one I talked about getting out
But not forgetting about
How all my worst fears are letting out
He said, "Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?"
When breathing just passes the time
Until we all just get old and die
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - May 5th 2012, 10:00 AM

The Mortal Instruments series, because it's got some amazing battle scenes and a good mixture of humour and romance

The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy because it's just pure genius

About a Boy, and anything by Nick Hornby

Metamorphosis and anything by Franz Kafka... because his writing is just insane, in a wonderful way

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - May 5th 2012, 12:00 PM

My favourite book is Looking for Alaska by John Green. I don't really know why, I think it's just because it was so amazing and I've never gotten so upset over a book before. I do like Paper Towns by John Green also, again I couldn't tell you why, it's just it's an amazing book and I couldn't put it down.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
*hippiepride* Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Miranda

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - May 8th 2012, 02:35 AM

Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford cracks me up so that has to be on my list...deffinatly Beautiful by Amy reed and a WHOLE lot more but that would just be too long I love anything by Michael Thomas Ford though

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - May 8th 2012, 02:52 AM

J.D. Salinger's Zooey is my favourite, just because I relate to Zooey and I love his discussion with Franny about religion. My favourite novel is Lolita by Nabokov though, because even though it's creepy as all hell, the writing is just beautiful.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - May 16th 2012, 08:17 PM

Catcher in the Rye - Because when you really analyze it, it relates so much to so many teens who struggle with becoming an young adult.

Charlie the Wallflower - Just a great teen book that I have enjoyed.

Twisted - Another fantastic teen book, and also related to me personally.

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - May 17th 2012, 01:21 PM

The DaVinci Code- Because I like the mystery/detective type of stories that leave you on the edge on your seat.
Angels & Demons- Because I like the mystery/detective type of stories that leave you on the edge on your seat.
Gone with the Wind- Because I like romance novels, but not overly romantic novels.
Harry Potter Series- Because I like fantasy novels.
Twilight Series- Because I like vampire-romance novels.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - May 17th 2012, 01:59 PM

A few of Jodi Picoult - Nineteen Minutes, Second Glance

(#23 (permalink)) Old
SM13 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - May 18th 2012, 08:29 PM

Dracula by Brahm Stoker: timeless classic and a wonderfully chilling story.

Graceling by Kristen Cashore: my favorite book! It is fantasy and kind of mideval snd takes place in a world where certain people have unusual gifts called "graces" the main character Katsa has the Grace of killing. She is forced to work for her corrupt king uncle as his henchwoman. It is a fantastic story! Lots of action and some well placed not over the top romance very unexpected ending. NOT a girly cliche book.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Spellbound Offline
LGRW
I can't get enough

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - May 18th 2012, 08:52 PM

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. My god, it was just wonderfully written, and the story line was so compelling. It was one of those books that I didn't want to put down, yet at the same time, I didn't want it to end. It's a book that I strongly recommend.

I also love The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. At first, I didn't think it was a book I was going to like (it's not really my favourite genre), so I kind of put it aside and decided not to read it. But man, am I glad that I did. The first page sucked me in, and I couldn't stop reading. Plus, it's one of those books that has kept me thinking ages after I finished.

I also quite enjoy Jodi Piccoult's books, as she's a really talented writer and I enjoy how she writes from various characters' points of view. Ones that I particularly enjoyed were The Tenth Circle, Nineteen Minutes, and Salem Falls.

Send a message via MSN to Spellbound  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What are some of your favorite books and why are they? - May 19th 2012, 08:13 PM

By The Time You Read This I'll Be Dead, by Julie Anne Peters... I actually got my book club to read this book, and like, two people told me that it was a good choice, and that I have to choose more books, because I have a good taste in reading... I just love the story, and I love Santana so much, and all. I also talked to Julie about it, I asked her what the ending was, and I don't want to ruin it for anyone else, so I'll leave that out. I recomend this book, but it might be triggering.

Closed Thread