TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Literature Use this forum to discuss books, plays, poetry, authors and more from around the world.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Do I need permission? - December 12th 2011, 09:17 PM

Do you have to have permission to use a school's name or product name in an autobiography and/or book?

I'm in the process of writing an autobiography and a book, but I don't want to get in trouble for using them when I'm trying to get it published.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_sunsets64. Offline
dreaming of a glass castle...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Do I need permission? - December 12th 2011, 09:39 PM

i'm not sure, you should try googling it, but you might want to just change it, even slightly, so that you don't have to worry about liability issues. i remember that was a problem at my school, although the administrators had an issue, not like a legal one. My english teacher thought it was ridiculous though, because it was fiction and a satire, and told them that the kid wasn't actually writing about our school, he was writing about an exaggerated, fictionalized school that happened to be loosely based off our school, if that makes sense.
as for product names, i don't know because i've seen multiple products show up in books that i've read, it's always the TV shows where names are changed -- like apple phones to pear phones, etc., but in books, it always stays the same. you should probably still google it though, just to be safe.
hope this helps, and good luck with your book! i'd love to read it when it's published

"Those 3 words are said too much, but not enough" <3
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive. Never surrender."

PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to or just want to chat (:
http://liveforthememories.tumblr.com/

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do I need permission? - December 12th 2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _sunsets64. View Post
i'm not sure, you should try googling it, but you might want to just change it, even slightly, so that you don't have to worry about liability issues. i remember that was a problem at my school, although the administrators had an issue, not like a legal one. My english teacher thought it was ridiculous though, because it was fiction and a satire, and told them that the kid wasn't actually writing about our school, he was writing about an exaggerated, fictionalized school that happened to be loosely based off our school, if that makes sense.
as for product names, i don't know because i've seen multiple products show up in books that i've read, it's always the TV shows where names are changed -- like apple phones to pear phones, etc., but in books, it always stays the same. you should probably still google it though, just to be safe.
hope this helps, and good luck with your book! i'd love to read it when it's published
School name would be used in my autobiography, so I can't change it without making it a fiction book.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
_sunsets64. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Do I need permission? - December 12th 2011, 09:52 PM

i just looked this up, and it looks like you probably do need to get permission first for the school:

http://www.linkedin.com/answers/mark...13310-55098234

but not for the products:
http://www.rightsofwriters.com/2010/...cts-in-my.html

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive. Never surrender."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Live Help Operator

I've been here a while

Name: Christina

Re: Do I need permission? - December 12th 2011, 11:49 PM

I think that if you change the name of the school you should be okay even though you are writing an autobiography. Maybe somewhere you could have a paragraph about how the names of places are being changed to protect copyright and the identy of those there.
Like I said, I am not one hundred percent sure on this, but I've seen things like that in books that are nonfiction before. So, it could be something for you to try out.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
_sunsets64. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Do I need permission? - December 13th 2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Light Storm View Post
I think that if you change the name of the school you should be okay even though you are writing an autobiography. Maybe somewhere you could have a paragraph about how the names of places are being changed to protect copyright and the identy of those there.
Like I said, I am not one hundred percent sure on this, but I've seen things like that in books that are nonfiction before. So, it could be something for you to try out.
^^that's a really good suggestion

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Re: Do I need permission? - December 14th 2011, 10:57 PM

you don't have to worry about copyright until its published. if you get a contract it would be the part of your literary agent or editor to advise changes to avoid copyright issues. don't worry about it before publication

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread