TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Announcements Here you will find announcements and discussions about new or updated TeenHelp features, news and events.

Note: Only administrators can create threads in this forum; everyone can reply to threads here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rob Offline
Project Coordinator

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Rob

FCRDs closure. - September 18th 2016, 12:11 PM

Hi everybody,

Unfortunately we have taken the decision to stop running our weekly Facilitated Chat Room Discussions (FCRDs) for the time being. This is due to a lack of volunteers to run them every week, meaning that we have had to cancel a large number of discussions recently.

We have run these discussions for 7 years now and they have been immensely beneficial in the past at bringing people together in live group discussions, enabling them to share the same concerns and gain support in a structured way. It is really unfortunate that we aren't able to continue running them anymore, but it's something that we've struggled to keep going for a long time now.

We hope that in the future that if we have more support from people who are able to run them that we may be able to bring them back in a different format perhaps, but for now we think it's best to take a break while we decide what we can do in the future.

Thanks,
Rob.

Last edited by Rob; September 18th 2016 at 03:42 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Unbreakable

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: FCRDs closure. - September 18th 2016, 05:27 PM

What does this mean for the chat mentor role? Will it continue?

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Rob Offline
Project Coordinator

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Rob

Re: FCRDs closure. - September 18th 2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping Mouse Circus View Post
What does this mean for the chat mentor role? Will it continue?
Hey,

We haven't decided about this yet, Sarah and I will be in touch with all of the Chat Mentors shortly to discuss this.

Regards,
Rob.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: FCRDs closure. - September 18th 2016, 07:58 PM

Was going to ask the same question

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: FCRDs closure. - September 18th 2016, 08:51 PM

i think part of the problem was no one was running them because when people did run them people werent turning up to the discussions...

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Stormblade Offline
The Cool Half
Not a n00b

Name: Logan

Re: FCRDs closure. - September 19th 2016, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperingSilence View Post
i think part of the problem was no one was running them because when people did run them people werent turning up to the discussions...
This is why I hadn't been running them as much as I should have been. They really just didn't draw enough people.

Send a message via Skype™ to Stormblade 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: FCRDs closure. - September 19th 2016, 09:41 PM

Yeah and if people did turn up it would be the same people same discussion etc. TBH i think doing FD's on subjects (like if they were to brung back) that people would like be interested in rather than doing the FD's on a cycle as i think some people felt once they'd attended the FD on one subject once they didnt need to it again etc. So if they are to be bought back at a later date it might be an idea to do some on things like 'possitve acitvities' 'dealing with alcoholic parents' 'budgeting' 'staying safe' that way theirs like a good mix and people might turn up to them because they are new subjects etc.

Videos team

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: FCRDs closure. - September 20th 2016, 05:15 AM

This is really sad to hear. I did enjoy facilitating and for a while it was one of the main things I did. However, It got to a point where it didn't work with my Saturday night plans. I just was out too much. It might have been different if they were done on a Sunday night since more people will be home getting ready for school.

The attendance did make it difficult to facilitate as well. When there was only two or three people I went through the outlines way too fast and then had nothing to talk about.

I think that also, recently, maybe with chrome not allowing Java, less people have been in chat. When I first started facilitating there were a few more people in chat and the FD's but within the past year it has decreased to maybe two. I think the chrome things might have been an issue so I don't know if that's something that can be fixed? I don't even know if that will increase attendance if they were done in the future but it might increase chat attendance which could increase attendance for whatever you implement.

I look forward to seeing where you go with this and seeing if you are able to start it up again.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: FCRDs closure. - September 20th 2016, 05:43 AM

FCRDs were one of the main reasons I started using the Chat Room when I was a new member, so it makes me sad that they're being discontinued for the moment. That said, I do understand the reasoning behind this decision, so I can only hope that we find a way to bring it back at some point in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperingSilence View Post
Part of the reason for this, I think, is that there was some inconsistency between listed times. For a while I was very confused about what times the discussions were on because the countdown timer and the FCRD page itself didn't seem to agree with each other, and whenever I would facilitate I would get people coming in halfway through who were surprised that a discussion was happening at that time. I ended up verifying it with the Chat Officer, but I doubt that many other people would go to that length just to find out when the discussions were meant to take place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
It might have been different if they were done on a Sunday night since more people will be home getting ready for school.
There's never going to be a perfect time to have discussions. Having them on a Sunday in your timezone would mean a Monday in mine, meaning that most Southern Hemisphere people wouldn't be able to attend as they'd likely be working or studying (I know that Southern Hemisphere people don't make up the majority of FCRD participants anyway, but it's something to consider). Maybe if the discussions were to start up again we could have a trial run to see if there are days that would work better for a wider audience. I also think that the Chrome issue has been a large contributor, as there aren't as many people in Chat anyway these days.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: FCRDs closure. - September 20th 2016, 06:04 AM

I have to agree, Chrome not supporting Java is probably the biggest thing since most people use chrome.

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: FCRDs closure. - September 20th 2016, 09:48 PM

Yeah the chrome issue probably hasnt helped but firefox supports it - so i would imagine if people really wanted to go to the discussions etc - they'd probably use IE or like download firefox. personally i do prefer firefox anyway. i think part of the problem was that subjects were also repitive and no fresh subjects -also time zones like others have said.

Videos team

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: FCRDs closure. - September 20th 2016, 10:38 PM

That's so sad to hear, but I'm glad we're focusing our efforts on other projects that can impact our members.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: FCRDs closure. - September 21st 2016, 06:18 PM

I too am very sad to hear this, but I'm excited to see what projects will be implemented in the future with the hopes of more successful FCRDs. In the meantime, I am very happy with the Safety Zone and improved setting with the triggering labels.

Just a note, there are free extensions available for Chrome that allows you to use Chat in Chrome. If one were to search the Chrome extensions store, I'm sure they'd find one. Just a thought.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: FCRDs closure. - September 22nd 2016, 07:15 PM

This is extremely heartbreaking. When I was on here a few years ago (when they first started) they were very popular. I ran one and there were so many people there! When I returned 2-3 months ago I was sad to see how no one was running them and that no one was joining in for them. I had actually considered running one after I rejoined staff, but that never got to happen.

I'm excited to see the future projects that you're able to come up with now that you don't have to worry about FCRDs anymore.

Keep up the great work!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: FCRDs closure. - September 23rd 2016, 07:05 AM

I'm sorry to hear that FCRD's are ending for the foreseeable future. When they were attended more frequently by our users, I think they were extremely helpful. That being said, I completely understand the reasoning behind the closure and am glad that TeenHelp is putting more effort into features that are continuing to help a large number of our members.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#16 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: FCRDs closure. - September 24th 2016, 02:28 AM

I've led dozens of FCRDs during my time on Staff. I loved talking about topics that I was familiar with, and I also loved educating myself on unfamiliar topics in preparation for leading FCRDs. There was definitely a "golden age" for the FCRDs. Unfortunately, over time, a number of factors impacted our ability to continue providing high-quality FCRDs, which led to this decision being made after much discussion/brainstorming.

I'm so grateful to all the Staff members who led the FCRDs, whether it was one time or several times, as part of their Chat Mentor duties or to help fill in the gaps when we needed volunteers! I'm also grateful to all the regular members who participated, bringing their unique insights and experiences to the FCRDs!

Personally, I would love to see the FCRDs come back in some form or another... and if any of you feel similarly, please don't hesitate to share your ideas with our Chat Officer!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread