TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Announcements Here you will find announcements and discussions about new or updated TeenHelp features, news and events.

Note: Only administrators can create threads in this forum; everyone can reply to threads here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rob Offline
Project Coordinator

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Rob

Important changes to Terms of Service including Code of Conduct and Privacy Policy. - May 27th 2018, 01:57 PM

Hello everyone,

We have completed a review of our Terms of Service and other documentation and provided a substantial update for you. This has been done in order to improve your experience on TeenHelp, give you greater freedoms and protections, and to help you to understand our procedures more easily. We have worked hard to understand which rules have been historically disliked or misunderstood and we have tried to remove jargon where possible to make it all easier for you to understand.

This includes updates to our Code of Conduct, Privacy Policy, Complaints Procedure and Staff Guidance relating to all of these. I am going to provide you with a summary of the main changes, however please re-read the Terms of Service in order to understand the full changes. If anything is unclear please let me know and I'm happy to help.

Code of Conduct

Weight figures - Weight figures are now permitted in certain site areas. These are still forbidden in the Eating Disorders forum, but allowed in other forums as long as the new "Weight figures" prefix is applied correctly. They are not allowed in areas where you wouldn't normally expect to see them like the Chat Room, blogs or profiles. If you have previously chosen to hide triggering eating disorders threads these will be hidden automatically, however you can show/hide these separately in your User Options: http://www.teenhelp.org/profile.php?do=editoptions Please see the Mature and Sensitive Content Policy for all of the conditions and examples relating to this.

School projects - These are now excluded from the "Research and data collection" policy, therefore under most circumstances you can use TeenHelp to complete school projects as long as the same principles such as anonymity are followed.

Clarifications - We have reworded several other rules to be clearer and easier to understand, this includes our rules on triggering and non-PG13 content (Mature and Sensitive Content Policy), triggering prefix guidelines, Advertising Policy, Copyright Policy and Complaints Procedure.

We recognise that how rules are enforced is not always consistent, so I have also created new Staff guidance on many rules including triggering content, health advice, lying, and non-PG13 material to help improve our moderating practices.

Privacy Policy

We have rewritten our Privacy Policy in relation to changing data protection laws.

We believe in privacy by default. As an anonymous and confidential service, we pride ourselves on collecting as little information about you as possible.

Here are the key things to understand about how TeenHelp uses your information:
  • We only collect information that is necessary for us to provide you with our services - All other information you provide is completely voluntary.
  • We aim to provide you with enough knowledge so that you can choose what information to share: http://www.teenhelp.org/safetyzone/
  • We aim to provide a fully anonymous service.
  • Our Staff members follow a strict zero tolerance confidentiality policy, ensuring that when you share your information with them it is kept safe.
Some changes we have made:
  • As mentioned before, we have given you the ability to post without registering, post anonymously or to delete your account.
  • Users are now forbidden from using their surnames in their usernames.
  • Date of birth is now hidden by default when you register.
  • Users are now required to provide country when registering, this helps us to understand which laws apply to which users.
  • Our new Privacy Policy gives you detailed information on exactly what information we collect about you, how we use it, who can see it and what rights you have over it: http://www.teenhelp.org/terms/privacy/
  • We've created two sets of guidance, one for Project Coordinators/Team Leaders and the other for all Staff members, to help them keep your information as safe as possible.
We recognise we’re not perfect but we’re working hard to improve and to keep improving. We’ve made changes like introducing more privacy options and we have ideas how to improve further but welcome your input.

Thank you.

Last edited by Rob; May 27th 2018 at 07:15 PM.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
im just a dead man walking
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Important changes to Terms of Service including Code of Conduct and Privacy Policy. - May 29th 2018, 10:10 PM

If you delete your account will your posts be gone as well?

it takes a strong man to deny whats right in front of him and if the truth is undeniable you create your own

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Important changes to Terms of Service including Code of Conduct and Privacy Policy. - May 29th 2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
If you delete your account will your posts be gone as well?
No, posts will not automatically be deleted. As per the form description:
Quote:
Please be aware that this will delete your account but not your posts.
I believe that when your account is deleted, these posts will no longer have your username assoicated with them. There is, however, a section on this form where you can link to specific posts you wish to be deleted.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
im just a dead man walking
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Important changes to Terms of Service including Code of Conduct and Privacy Policy. - May 29th 2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholia. View Post

No, posts will not automatically be deleted. As per the form description:

I believe that when your account is deleted, these posts will no longer have your username assoicated with them. There is, however, a section on this form where you can link to specific posts you wish to be deleted.
Thanks where can i find the section where i can delete my posts?

it takes a strong man to deny whats right in front of him and if the truth is undeniable you create your own

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Important changes to Terms of Service including Code of Conduct and Privacy Policy. - May 29th 2018, 10:36 PM

The delete account request form is located here. There is a text box where you can link to specific posts. I am unsure if Rob will delete specific posts without someone wishing to delete their account as well, however, since this form is technically for account deletion.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: Important changes to Terms of Service including Code of Conduct and Privacy Policy. - May 30th 2018, 07:15 PM

You can request to have posts deleted, but not without giving a valid reason as to why. For instance, when I sent in a request to have my first account deleted, I linked to one of my earliest threads on TeenHelp and gave a ~200-250 words explaining why I want that post deleted, and Rob did it.

Another important thing to note is that once you fill out the form, you have to wait seven days before you receive a PM from Rob asking if you are absolutely sure you want to permanently delete your account. This is to prevent impulsive requests done in the heat of the moment.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread