TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

View Poll Results: Have you ever experienced cyberbullying?
Yes 17 70.83%
No 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Cyberbullying question. - May 29th 2014, 10:30 AM

For my final assignment at college, I'm doing an article on cyberbullying and I need facts and quotes, etc. to put into it. So, hopefully it'll be okay to ask here as it's important that I do well in this and I don't really know where else to go and ask people. If you could please vote in the poll, either yes or no to whether or not you've experienced cyberbullying and if you want, answer the question (no names will be included and this article isn't being printed anywhere, just in case anyone was worried):

Do you think enough is being done to help those who are cyber bullied and prevent it from happening on social media sites?

Thanks to everyone who replies/votes. I hope it's okay to do this, if not feel free to delete the thread.

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1122857 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Em. Offline
I don't even like cats
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Cyberbullying question. - May 29th 2014, 10:42 AM

The thing is there is only a certain amount that people can do with cyberbullying, if people decide to actually report it, there are so many hackers and people are getting smarter with computers, there's only so much the police can do, cyberbullying is so common that it's inevitable that most people will experience it.

I dont believe there is anything that can be done, maybe a law where the sentence is slightly severe could deter people from doing it but I don't know if that's already in place.

Good luck!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Cyberbullying question. - May 29th 2014, 01:03 PM

Nothing more needs to be done. At the end of the day, it's the internet. You know that when you go online, you will inevitably encounter such asshats and trolls. If you make the informed decision to continue, you should be responsible and mature enough to be able to deal with them and not let your online life interfere with your offline life. In other words, maintain a level of professionalism when using your personal information online. Better yet, don't post any personal information. It's that classic internet safety rule few people seem to use these days.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Cyberbullying question. - May 30th 2014, 12:09 AM

I agree with what others have said. Not a lot can be done, unfortunately. In my case, my posts and messages were even edited so it looked like everything was my fault. The internet can be both amazing and horrible depending on how it is used. Do I think more should be done? Yes, I do. But at the end of the day, I can't think of what should be done. Even though some sites have a minimum age to join, so many people lie about it anyway. If someone is going to put someone else down they're going to find a way to do it whether that's in person or on an electronic device.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Cyberbullying question. - May 30th 2014, 01:10 AM

Like people have said. I don't think there is much they can do because people can change things erase the conversations. I think there should be more done about it. I was cyber bullied by a lot of people and it was horrible. My grandma called the other girls parents and the girl apologized that was only one case. I think the schools and cops and stuff should do more than what they are doing but I don't know how much can really be done.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Luminescence Offline
I swear to you I'm not afraid.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Re: Cyberbullying question. - May 30th 2014, 03:36 AM

As much as I would love to see something more about cyberbullying done, I think it's probably not possible. I mean, I lost a good amount of proof of the cyberbullying from my ex-best friend just because of stupid chatlogs... It's really sad that we can't do much more.

"Here I am, look at me now, you're living
In a world of wonder
Come to me now, we will make it somehow"

"Crystalline", Poets of the Fall
  Send a message via Skype™ to Luminescence 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Cyberbullying question. - June 3rd 2014, 07:15 AM

I'm pretty sure most people who spend an average amount of time on the Internet is going to experience some form of cyberbullying. It happens everywhere. I personally have seen it on Tumblr pretty often, especially if someone has views that others don't share.
The fact that the Internet is fairly anonymous (in the sense that you aren't physically present when you say things) it makes people feel more confident and free to say whatever they want. Put a cyberbully in a room with someone and I doubt they'd talk the same.
Unfortunately I don't think there's really any way of reducing it, either. I know a lot of websites try and moderate their content and enforce the peace, but the fact that people to cyberbully can't really get in trouble for their actions (unless of course they cause a suicide and get caught) makes it so there really isn't anything preventing them from asserting dominance over someone else. There's also the fact that people cyberbully for different reasons. "Activists" talk down to those who they believe are thinking about something in the wrong way. Some teenage girls cyberbully because they feel insecure. Some people cyberbully to be funny. I think that because there are so many reasons for it, there isn't really a way we can find an easy solution. Sure, you can censor out lots of words and delete comments, but you can't really have much influence on how people treat others unless they are taught to be kind growing up and understand the importance of it.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Cyberbullying question. - June 3rd 2014, 01:25 PM

I pretty much agree with what everyone else is saying. There really isn't much you can do. There really isn't any laws in regards to cyberbullying. The internet is a very big place with a variety of different opinions/views. Just like what Nicole said, unless a person causes a suicide and/or gets caught, then that would probably be the only way something can be done about cyberbullying.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Cyberbullying question. - June 3rd 2014, 04:59 PM

Of course something can be done about it. For crying out loud; cyberbullies, or any bullies, have nothing to be afraid of currently, and that's where the problem lies. We need to come down hard on these bullies. We need strong punishments. And what else we need is the administrators of websites being held liable for what happens on them. Zuckerburg can't just sit back and say 'we moderate our site to the best of our ability, sorrynotsorry lol' when someone is bullied to death on Facebook. That's not an answer, that's not good enough as an answer when someone has died due to his site not being monitored and moderated adequately. We make site admins answerable for what goes on, we make parents responsible for monitoring their kids online (a parent who doesn't keep an eye on their kids online to some extent is downright neglecting them, in my honest opinion) and, most of all, kids who cyberbully should be punished for what they do.

And, for crying out loud, parents really need to cop on and start raising their children to not be like this. It's a societal problem, and nothing can be done about that side of it, but it's important that parents are educated about cyberbullying and misuse of the Internet from when their children are young. I would never bully anyone, because I've been raised not to. That's how you do it; you don't make excuses for perpetrators, ever.

tl;dr - The reason this happens is because rich, bully kids have nothing to be afraid. Those 'rich, bully kids' refer to both the bullies and the irresponsible owners of social media sites. As a victim, I can say it's feckin' time we take a real, tough stand on bullying, and anybody who thinks what I've said isn't necessary really needs to think about this more critically. You should be all for the Internet being increasingly monitored for your safety and the safety of others, unless you've something to hide. (Never trust anyone who opposes censorship. )
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Re: Cyberbullying question. - June 3rd 2014, 08:00 PM

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Cyberbullying question. - June 3rd 2014, 11:26 PM

Firstly, LOL at Sven's picture.
Secondly, it isn't that easy Gareth. I mean yes, we can try and help parents be better parents. But some kids have mental disabilities that cause them to either be more aggressive or have no conscience, or even both. We can teach them all about values and morals but that won't do any good if their personality is more on the mean side.
As for Facebook, there are millions of users on that website. The staff team cannot actively moderate each and every user, that's why reporting comments is so important. Even then, it can take awhile for it to get looked at and deleted. The pain it causes is instantaneous, so having some action taken later won't do any good. People need to learn to utilize the block feature more in this case so that they can prevent having hurtful things said to them.
I'm not trying to say that the Internet is an evil place and there's no use trying to prevent cyberbullying, what I'm saying is it is incredibly hard to target these bullies and take action that will prevent it from happening in the future. The Internet is a huge place and only so many people have moderating power on each website. Not to mention cyberbullying can go to the phone via texting and there's not much we can do about that either.
While I'm not opposed to trying to teach kids to be nicer on the Internet, I also think it's important we teach everyone who goes on the Internet the importance of ignoring cyberbullies by putting them on ignore and immediately reporting anything they say.
I just really don't think there is a magical solution that can really cut down on the amount of cyberbullying incidents. It's something that will always be there just like how there will always be serial killers and murderers in the world.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#12 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Cyberbullying question. - June 3rd 2014, 11:53 PM

I have to agree with what Nicole is saying.

When I was being bullied, not only cyberbullied but the physical and emotional as well - the school wanted to remove me instead of the people that were harassing me. This was because the students simply didn't respond to disciplinary action and ended up retaliating instead. There are some people who, no matter how many times you explain something to, won't understand the impact of what they are doing and they'll revert to their usual ways. Then there are other children like Nicole mentioned who have disabilities that influence them to act a certain way.

I agree with you in that parents should keep an eye on what their children are doing online. Yet some kids are smart enough to delete browsing history and other things like that. And as mentioned, there are so many people that use the site and conflict can take a while to be assessed. I don't believe that Zuckerburg is to blame for bullying on Facebook. Facebook wasn't intended for teenagers; it was originally intended for older students and adults to stay in contact with their friends and families.

As harsh as it sounds, people haven't died from being bullied; being bullied wasn't the cause of death. The cause of death here is suicide - when one chooses to take their own life. I think people who bully should face consequences but not for the possible death of someone that they harassed.

I also want to point out that people bully because there is an underlying problem. Something is causing a person to feel so bad to the point of putting other people down and in the end, everyone involved needs some kind of help. Everyone is fighting a battle that we don't know about and whether someone is wealthy or average doesn't tell us about their battles.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Cyberbullying question. - June 4th 2014, 12:10 PM

I was bullied a lot in school and one day this girl who bullied me a lot started trying to bully me on Bebo (old school ) I simply blocked her and reported her and that was the end of that. The good thing about social networking/chat rooms/whatever is that there are block buttons, real life doesn't have that.

I don't really get people who don't block people who are bullying them online :/ The block button is there for a reason. It's really not difficult. If you don't block them then I don't really have much sympathy (I know that sounds really nasty but they aren't helping themselves)

I've actually blocked people on Facebook who bullied me school (only one tried to add me before I blocked her) because I can't be arsed to deal with that nonsense anymore.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

Last edited by Make Believe; June 4th 2014 at 12:43 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Re: Cyberbullying question. - June 4th 2014, 08:00 PM

I think we can all conclude that my picture is the cure to cyberbullying. In translation (for the ones with a thicker head, no offense) it means that you shouldnt give a fuck about the the idiotic people on the internet who unfortunately occupy about 90% of it. Now, every social network has a block button, as well as a report button. You should all use 'em accordingly. Why fight with someone over a retarded thing? Dont degrade yourself! Be a smart guy/girl, smash that block button.
I mean i was getting cyberbullied before. But i went in for a diffrent route, i started hacking instead of using the block feature, so thats that... xD But yeah, there are ways. And for the fifth time, use 'em because they are here to help you. And for the bullies... Just ignore the fucks... Its not like they can hit you or anything...

Closed Thread