TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lyss_ Offline
Lyssa
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alyssa

Dealing With Racism - December 19th 2015, 10:04 PM

Apologizing ahead of time for the length! The juicyness is towards the middle and end

So I identify as Native American and black. I never really knew I was 'different' even though I went to white schools. I had white friends my whole life and we never pointed out color or thought of each other as any less, I had good elementary years. But once I hit middle school it changed a bit. Middle school is when I learned how horrible people could be. I had a crush on a white boy and he said he didn't like black girls because they're ghetto. Which is funny because my black friends would call me an oreo, meaning I acted white. I was a smart kid with good grades and very polite. I had never been disciplined in school either. I was only 11 and didn't even get racism so of course my feelings were hurt. In a way I felt like something was wrong with me you know? So from that time I stopped trying to manage my curly hair and straightened it all the time, and I kinda put myself in the dark. Stopped trying to learn about my tribe and everything else. Fast forwarding to my freshman year of high school. The very first day at the first black school I ever been to. Is it sad that my first thought was 'Whoa I never seen so many black people in the same place!' But that year I got slapped with reality. We were reading a book by Sherman Alexie about that kid on the rez that went to a white school. I'll never forget when they teachers read out loud 'It's proof that niggers fuck buffalo' referring to people like me (black and native) and these two white kids started giggling and motioning towards me. That year I wasnt too forward so I never said anything. I was still a stranger to my people. So I spent time being mad. And to now! I'm a junior in high school. The recent racial tension has brought out a lot of bad people. Over the summer a guy driving past me at the bus stop yelled out his car window and called me a welfare queen. The next day I made a facebook post about it and a white guy said word for word 'Why are blacks always trying to make things about race. Stop playing the race card. If you told the police he'd be thrown in jail'. WHAT? What is this race card? How come I was pressure to not bring up a racist incident instead of that guy being pressured to not be a racist shit head? I've been told to get off welfare, accused of using affirmative action as if im not smart enough to do what I've done, called laquisha, told to go back to section 8 and keep pushing out babies. Like I don't get it. I'm not even mean. I'm gonna crack soon. I just laugh because it's so fucking rediculous! Just yesterday I got 'schooled' on black privilege. What the shit is that!? Some guy said black people have it better because we have special scholarships and special colleges when they fail to realize we have these thing because there used to be laws made that didn't allow us those things. Like im getting mad thinking about it. How do I deal with this? What do I do? I get treated like im a stereotype when im the OPPOSITE. I dont want to snap on someone but I will. I'm tired of it. I can be outright called a nigger or spearchucker and be accused of playing the victim. Like what kind of shitty world is this. In a way, this helped me though. I'm more in touch. I embrace myself more. Got all my heat damage gone and wear my curls every day Learned to love myself a lot more

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Dealing With Racism - December 20th 2015, 02:49 AM

I'm really sorry you've been treated like that. That is truly awful and you deserve to be treated better. We're all human and people who act like that disgust me. It's ridiculous that you've been accused of using the race card or playing the victim by talking about your experiences of people who clearly made comments toward your race. Don't let those people keep you from talking about it, though. Maybe you can consider venting in a safer place? Some people on Facebook are likely to make you feel worse. Instead, maybe you can think about keeping a journal or blogging on TeenHelp. People who act like this toward you don't want you to talk about your experiences and you're giving them power if you decide not to talk about them. Share what you're going through; take the power away from those people and put it back in your hands.

Know that you're so much better than the people who have treated you like this. You're better than them because you don't feel the need to put others down to feel better about yourself. You've been through hell but I am glad to hear you have learned to love yourself a little more.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Dealing With Racism - December 20th 2015, 04:18 AM

That sounds horrible what people say and do to you, I always find it completely ridiculous when people do those things because we are all people and no one is better than the other. As Cassado said, just try and ignore them. It sounds like you are doing a good job with accepting yourself and not letting it get to you, but remember if you ever are struggling you can always post a thread or HelpLINK request if you need support. Cassado also suggested venting in a better place like creating blogs on here and having a diary, which definitely might help to get it off your chest.

Finding friends that help support you through it like they did in elementary school would be good, so you have people to help at school and can physically help at the time. When people are attacking you, just try and stay calm and you could try explaining your side of the story, but sometimes it may be best to ignore it and not let it get to you as sometimes people will not be understanding and most likely make it worse.

I hope everything goes well and I'm glad you are embracing yourself more because of it. Never let it discourage you, stand strong ❤

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lyss_ Offline
Lyssa
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dealing With Racism - December 20th 2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassado View Post
I'm really sorry you've been treated like that. That is truly awful and you deserve to be treated better. We're all human and people who act like that disgust me. It's ridiculous that you've been accused of using the race card or playing the victim by talking about your experiences of people who clearly made comments toward your race. Don't let those people keep you from talking about it, though. Maybe you can consider venting in a safer place? Some people on Facebook are likely to make you feel worse. Instead, maybe you can think about keeping a journal or blogging on TeenHelp. People who act like this toward you don't want you to talk about your experiences and you're giving them power if you decide not to talk about them. Share what you're going through; take the power away from those people and put it back in your hands.

Know that you're so much better than the people who have treated you like this. You're better than them because you don't feel the need to put others down to feel better about yourself. You've been through hell but I am glad to hear you have learned to love yourself a little more.
Thank you for the advice I was raised to judge people by their character and not their color, race, religion, or sexual orientation because you never know someone's story

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lyss_ Offline
Lyssa
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dealing With Racism - December 20th 2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Miss View Post
That sounds horrible what people say and do to you, I always find it completely ridiculous when people do those things because we are all people and no one is better than the other. As Cassado said, just try and ignore them. It sounds like you are doing a good job with accepting yourself and not letting it get to you, but remember if you ever are struggling you can always post a thread or HelpLINK request if you need support. Cassado also suggested venting in a better place like creating blogs on here and having a diary, which definitely might help to get it off your chest.

Finding friends that help support you through it like they did in elementary school would be good, so you have people to help at school and can physically help at the time. When people are attacking you, just try and stay calm and you could try explaining your side of the story, but sometimes it may be best to ignore it and not let it get to you as sometimes people will not be understanding and most likely make it worse.

I hope everything goes well and I'm glad you are embracing yourself more because of it. Never let it discourage you, stand strong ❤
Thank you! And definitely. I vent to my friends about it. One of these things even happened with my friend right next me. She's a short sweet looking white girl. But she blew up on the guy for me lol. It sucked because then he told her not to go ghetto and that she hangs around to many black people. People suck

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Dealing With Racism - December 22nd 2015, 01:26 PM

It sounds like a rough ride. I'm not going to go on about how what those people do to you is "wrong", because that is obvious. Instead, it'd be good if you thought deeply about the effect it's having on you.

I say that, because it's easy to allow an unhealthy and uncontrolled amount of hatred grow inside yourself in situations like that, and it's easy to become reactive and impulsive. You've got to be aware of it, and stay in control of it. That way you stay in control of the "situation", and hopefuly in more in control of the outcome than you would otherwise be.

Your environment sucks. There are plenty of places which are much better than that, and hopefully that's what you should be aiming for. Don't get distracted by idiots because there are plenty. It's pretty difficult to change most people, especially strangers, and especially grownups, so although snapping at them or even physically hurting them may feel "therapeutic" in a perverted way, it achieves nothing because you can't control them under any normal circumstances. What I was trying to say earlier though... is don't them change you. That's something you do have control over.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Closed Thread