TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BubblyBabyBlue Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Storm

Question I don't understand.. Honest Opinions? - February 28th 2016, 12:13 AM

Hi there,

As I started to wear makeup, I began to question it as well. Mainly,"Does makeup really change the way I look?". The reason I thought this was because on the day of senior photos, I had my hair, nails, and makeup done (I did my own makeup). Throughout the day, I've received compliments. People said I looked so different. Actually, me and a friend. However...I don't think I looked so different at all. I honestly don't wear many products (Bb cream, primer, concealer, eyeliner and mascara, lipbalm/gloss). I never wore my lipsticks out in public, I rarely use my powder in favor of setting spray and I'm not into contouring or false lashes yet. When I think back, people always say women are lying behind their makeup..and how you can change into a different person. I even had a friend who constantly tried to put me on blast about wearing makeup until people noticed, and now she wants to try it (never understood why she had to bash me though...). I, myself, have a babyface without makeup. When I wear it, people say I look like a black barbie doll, or a supermodel..basically mature.. but...I don't think I've changed much in appearance other than covering dark spots and making my eyes pop. Any opinions?

Also, why are some people so focused on others who wear makeup? My friend used to try to wipe my makeup off me in the middle of school, scream out loud saying I'm wearing makeup, and even point out how I'm wrinkly, even though she looks older (I'm older) and I have smile lines, which I'll try to get rid of....I think everyone has that, especially if they smile hard. I just don't understand how she went from getting on me about wearing makeup, putting me down about it, to looking at eye shadows and lipsticks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: I don't understand.. Honest Opinions? - February 28th 2016, 01:00 AM

I think it changes the way you look to an extent, even if you don't wear too much of it. You're more used to seeing yourself around the house with and without makeup; you know what you look like. Other people saw you for a while without makeup, and when you did wear it, it probably made a little bit of a difference. I think it depends on a lot of factors, like lighting or what you're wearing and how it goes with your skin or your eye color. For a while, I did basic makeup while I was learning how to use it and people in school saw me for a few years like that. The following year, I went a little darker and experimented until I found what I liked and a lot of people said I looked different because my eyes popped more. It could just be something like that.

I'm not sure why your friend acted the way she did, it's hard to tell. Maybe she knew that people don't necessarily need makeup to look beautiful and was surprised to see you trying it. She could have put you down about it because she felt jealous, and then she decided to look into makeup of her own to experiment for herself. If you ever want closure, you could consider asking her about it.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread