TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lostteen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

How would you define sexual harrassment - October 2nd 2016, 01:48 PM

How would you define it? I never seem to quite understand how it is determined?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Online
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: How would you define sexual harrassment - October 2nd 2016, 04:21 PM

The legal definition is: "Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature." Taken from here: https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/sexual_harassment.cfm

It's basically bullying someone because of their gender only the behavior is of a sexual nature. Any kind of inappropriate touching, like hugs that go too far or worse (which could also be considered battery), comments of a sexual nature to someone about their bodies that make them uncomfortable, etc. I once had a male gym teacher who would make inappropriate comments which he considered teasing and would shake his butt while walking near or in front of only the female students. He was eventually suspended for this, but didn't think he did anything wrong and called the dicipline "stuupid."

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: How would you define sexual harrassment - October 3rd 2016, 04:44 PM

The above is pretty much correct, except I disagree with it being "bullying". I don't think it necessarily is bullying. I think that "bullying" is a subset of "harassment".

I do think most people have a different idea of what "harassment" is, and similar applies to "sexual harassment". There's been plenty of ambiguity, so a legal definition is a good place to start. What is important in the definition above is the word "unwelcome".

If someone makes it clear, that another person's advancements, comments, or even presence is unwelcome, and that person carried on anyway, then that could constitute harassment. Not necessarily, but it could. It should be remembered that people have a right to use public space, and simply because (for example) a guy sits next to a girl on a bus who finds his presence uncomfortable, doesn't mean it is "harassment". Some people fail to understand this. She is free to go sit somewhere else. If he stalks her, follows her, then yes, then it can be called "harassment", although it's not necessarily easy to prove.

But referring back a little, a person should make it reasonably clear that those advancements are not welcome. Some people are less receptive to body language signals than other people, and simply won't see it that you find them annoying. If you don't make it clear that you don't like their advancements, then you can't really say they're harassing you, because they aren't even aware they're doing it. It may be hurtful to point it out, but that's life. Nothing's perfect, and in my opinion, if someone can't find it in them to make the effort to pick up basic body language signals which suggest that their presence is unwelcome, then it's their fault that other people have to resort to more abrasive/direct ways of telling them to go bother someone else.

And this is coming from someone (me) who's been diagnosed with Asperger's, a symptom of which is poor receptiveness to people's body language. I really find it ironic that I grasp these things better than probably half the people I know. I think it's just because I make an effort and they don't.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; October 3rd 2016 at 06:26 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: How would you define sexual harrassment - October 3rd 2016, 06:22 PM

Sexually themed bullying, threatening and hassling is my definition of sexual harassment what happens regardless of gender. It's NOT sexual harassment if a guy/girl tries to pick someone up from the opposite sex, gets rejected and won't do it again to said person. It's not sexual harassment if it's a non-malicious compliment, nor is looking and not doing anything else

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
Closed Thread