TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Name: Michaela

Being judged for my weight - February 1st 2017, 02:56 PM

Recently I can't go anywhere without people judging my weight. I am trying my hardest to lose it. I know I am over weight, but the fact that I am putting in the effort to lose it and then people call me a liar. I have been trying to lose weight for a month now, I am losing it and I just get down when people don't believe me. They tell me I am fat and when I do something about it and they can clearly see that I have lost weight they don't believe me. I don't know if its just jealousy or if they are trying to push me over the edge.

I am just so stressed right now. My parents were the first ones to get on about my weight, they believe that I am losing it but nobody else does. They call me a liar when I say I can burn off edited calories a day. But why should I have to prove to them that I am? I know myself that I can do it because I do it almost every day.

Last edited by Melancholia.; February 1st 2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Please do not include calorie numbers. :)
  Send a message via MSN to Raggedy Man, Goodnight!  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Being judged for my weight - February 1st 2017, 05:15 PM

Hi Michaela,

You're definitely not alone with this. I used to be relatively thin, and then when I was put on my medication I gained a lot. I am no longer comfortable in my body, and have been trying to lose weight. Make sure that as well as exercising that you're eating healthy. Those two together should help you lose some weight. You should also consider getting rid of any unhealthy and junk food that you have in your house, that way you wont be tempted to eat bad food. You could also look into getting a gym membership with a personal trainer, I know that they are expensive but they might help if you have the extra money. You should also considering going to see a dietician. They know meal plans that will be healthy and help you lose weight.

Keep your head up,
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Re: Being judged for my weight - February 1st 2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Brittany. View Post
Hi Michaela,

You're definitely not alone with this. I used to be relatively thin, and then when I was put on my medication I gained a lot. I am no longer comfortable in my body, and have been trying to lose weight. Make sure that as well as exercising that you're eating healthy. Those two together should help you lose some weight. You should also consider getting rid of any unhealthy and junk food that you have in your house, that way you wont be tempted to eat bad food. You could also look into getting a gym membership with a personal trainer, I know that they are expensive but they might help if you have the extra money. You should also considering going to see a dietician. They know meal plans that will be healthy and help you lose weight.

Keep your head up,
Brittany
My uncle is a personal trainer and he has his own little gym in his house so I get use it free of charge He is also going to write me a meal plan out as he passed all his qualifications for these types of things

I do a 30 minute walk every day. If I need to get to town I walk, I try to do it as much as I can
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Being judged for my weight - February 1st 2017, 05:44 PM

Hey Michaela,

I understand this completely. My grandparents tell me I am fat, I had a doctor tell me I am a pretty girl but if I loose all my weight I would be gorgeous.It is really difficult hearing that stuff especially when you are actually loosing the weight.

I think that people should mind their own damn business. Just because someone is over weight doesn't mean they aren't healthy or not trying to loose weight. My advice to you is just do you. If people want to make fun off you and tell you, you are lying look at them and say okay and walk away, then in your mind tell yourself "I am beautiful, I know that I'm not a liar and I am loosing this weight.

I also hope you are doing this the healthy way.
Coming from a morbidly obese girl if you ever need to talk or vent about your weight, or frustration towards it I am more then will in to be there for you. You can PM/VM me anytime.

Your Friend,
Frankie

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Re: Being judged for my weight - February 1st 2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Believe In Me View Post
Hey Michaela,

I understand this completely. My grandparents tell me I am fat, I had a doctor tell me I am a pretty girl but if I loose all my weight I would be gorgeous.It is really difficult hearing that stuff especially when you are actually loosing the weight.

I think that people should mind their own damn business. Just because someone is over weight doesn't mean they aren't healthy or not trying to loose weight. My advice to you is just do you. If people want to make fun off you and tell you, you are lying look at them and say okay and walk away, then in your mind tell yourself "I am beautiful, I know that I'm not a liar and I am loosing this weight.

I also hope you are doing this the healthy way.
Coming from a morbidly obese girl if you ever need to talk or vent about your weight, or frustration towards it I am more then will in to be there for you. You can PM/VM me anytime.

Your Friend,
Frankie
Thank you for being so understanding I am losing weight with the help of my uncle as he is a personal trainer. I get to use all of his equipment free. I used to be skinny a long time ago. I am planning on getting back down to that weight again if I can
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Being judged for my weight - February 1st 2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggedy Man, Goodnight! View Post
My uncle is a personal trainer and he has his own little gym in his house so I get use it free of charge He is also going to write me a meal plan out as he passed all his qualifications for these types of things

I do a 30 minute walk every day. If I need to get to town I walk, I try to do it as much as I can
This is awesome! I'm glad that you're able to get a personal trainer free of cost! I hope it all helps you achieve your goals!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#7 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Being judged for my weight - February 1st 2017, 07:02 PM

The only time I lost weight was when I was so stressed out I lost my appetite. Havoc on my mental wellness. I call it "The All Stress Diet" and I don't recommend it.

I've read diets fail because the brain compensates. We decide losing weight would be good for us, the rest of the brain unconscious part continues on auto pilot making us eat however much it wants.

The one success I've read is one instance where the guy spent time focusing his mind on the idea of losing weight, focusing on the idea, he took time out to just focus on the concept, somehow mentally preparing himself for the ordeal, and that worked. He had to get his brain onboard, convince the emotional part to go along with the idea. (I think he meditated a lot too, which again is all about focusing the mind.)

I however am gaining the weight back that I lost with the involuntary All Stress diet, so I'm not a great role model.

Best wishes!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Being judged for my weight - February 1st 2017, 07:56 PM

You've been given some really great advice.

I agree with what has been said: people aren't in a position to judge you for your weight but unfortunately there are a lot of judgmental people out there. At the end of your post you asked why you should have to prove it to them; you don't have to prove anything to anyone. You should do it for yourself, not for approval from anyone else. You know in the back of your mind that you are doing what is best for you and that is what matters. Other people just like to stick their noses where they don't belong.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Re: Being judged for my weight - February 4th 2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassado View Post
You've been given some really great advice.

I agree with what has been said: people aren't in a position to judge you for your weight but unfortunately there are a lot of judgmental people out there. At the end of your post you asked why you should have to prove it to them; you don't have to prove anything to anyone. You should do it for yourself, not for approval from anyone else. You know in the back of your mind that you are doing what is best for you and that is what matters. Other people just like to stick their noses where they don't belong.
I am doing it for myself I am getting there with it. Been depressed with my weight for a while now so decided to do something about it
Closed Thread