TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cordell Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Bullying problem. - December 7th 2017, 04:10 AM

Hello everyone. Before I begin, i've never asked anyone for advice over the internet before, so bare with me.

My younger cousin has a boy that is bullying him in school. I am unsure what I can do to help my cousin, seeing that I am a young adult (I can't be physical), and he isn't very open to talking about his experiences.
In the area that we come from, going to an authority figure for help isn't really an option. I graduated from the same school that he is attending, and I had my skull fractured in the 9th grade at school, just to give you some background on the kind of environment it is.

While I managed to slug through it by getting into constant fights and punching holes in walls at home, those years (as well as other experiences) had a seriously negative impact on me and turned me into an angry and damaged young man. I fear that my cousin will deal with many of the emotional and mental problems I have had to deal with. I see it affecting his confidence and I worry about his self-esteem. He has also had a very tough go in life due to some 'unforseen circumstances', and I don't want his top to blow.
I guess what I am asking for is some advice on what I can do to help, or what I can suggest to my cousin.

This probably just sounds like me rambling but I hope it's easy enough to understand! Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Paroxysm Offline
hug your cat right meow

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Re: Bullying problem. - December 7th 2017, 09:27 AM

Would totally recommend talking to the teachers or principal about it! Otherwise, you can try and get your cousin to open up to you by doing something that he loves like going out for icecream or playing games at the arcade.

Hope this helps

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emma

Re: Bullying problem. - December 7th 2017, 11:33 AM

Hello and welcome to teenhelp, we are so glad that you have joined. I am so sorry that you are having a hard time right now. And I'm also sorry about your cousin. When this is happening, it's hard for us to stop it by ourselves, because when others are bullying other people they don't care how it will affect other people and I'm truly sorry that you are and you're cousin are going through. I agree with up above, can you try talking with a really close friend or a teacher that you have a good relationship with or the school counselor and let them know about this and that you need help with this and you need this to stop. Also are you able to talk with you're parents too about this for help.

When you get angry try going for a walk or putting on music or a funny TV show to help pick yourself up.

Also see if you and you're cousin can talk as well. I wish you the best and I hope that you both will be ok soon and you can post more when you need more help or if you would like to let us know how it's going. Hugs.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Broken crayons still color.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Bullying problem. - December 7th 2017, 12:04 PM

Spending time with him doing things he likes is a good idea. You might be able to also choose activities that encourage him to share (not necessarily verbally) what he is going through. Activities that can be therapeutic in that way may include art (sculpting, painting) writing (you could encourage him to journal or blog) or music; you could listen to music or watch a movie with him. Sometimes during certain activities, people will express things they’ve experienced in a nonverbal way without realizing it and that can be helpful. It gives him an outlet without him being hesitant because he knows it is an outlet.

Articles & Resources Officer|Senior Newsletter Editor|Forum & Community Moderator

The wild woman has
a deep love of nature,
a love for the ancient mother,
though possibly misunderstood,
it has always been her.
When she goes into
the wilderness
a part
of her soul is going home.
-Shikoba-