TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stephen Offline
The redhead.
Not a n00b

Red hair and freckles - June 30th 2009, 10:08 PM

Okay.I'm 14, and have been made fun of since I was probably 11.
I have red hair, freckles, and red skins always.
I also am a little on the chubby side, but thats just one thing.(Ok, I am kinda big )
I get called ginger,fire crotch and all those cruel names.
I talked to everyone I trusted about it, and they just said they were probably kidding.I've gotten calls from restricted numbers that say "ginger" and hang up.
I know you guys probably think I'm being sensitive,but if you were in my feet it would matter.
The people that do are bigger then me and could beat me up easy, so I wouldn't try anything like that.
I am sensitive and cry alot, but I don't care about that.
So, what do you guys think of this?
It hurts bad, and kinda puts me into a depression and i hate everything when I am.

(I'm sorry if this is in wrong section,and that i'm so new to forums :P)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
FastForward2012 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: Red hair and freckles - June 30th 2009, 10:29 PM

Hey Stephen,I'm assuming.
I'm Gina.
My hair is strawberry blonde, but is basically red.
I get called "ginger" and "fire crotch" all of the time as well.
Just ignore it, and it will go away.
At least thats what happened to me.
When I hear it now, I just act like I didn't even hear the person.
In one ear,out the other.
People are always going to have something negative to say,
and that is because they are insecure with themself.
So you have to learn to ignore it at one point or another,
so why not start now?
Just try not to let it get to you,kid

To Write Love On Her Arms<3

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stephen Offline
The redhead.
Not a n00b

Re: Red hair and freckles - June 30th 2009, 10:52 PM

I've learned to ignore it some, but it WON'T stop, and if they do, new people just keep on doing it.
My school has yet to do anything about it....

Edit: let me reword that.
It still gets to me and won't stop

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Carly Jessica

Re: Red hair and freckles - June 30th 2009, 11:20 PM

its good and pretty

(#5 (permalink)) Old
FastForward2012 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: Red hair and freckles - June 30th 2009, 11:24 PM

Sadly,I've got news for you:
The schools never do anything about it.

To Write Love On Her Arms<3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 1st 2009, 12:52 AM

Schools are clueless about bullies. I'm a ginger too, and dang proud of it. This might not be of any worth to you at this point in time, but I guarantee it will get better. At 14 children are immature, but as you get older, this gets less. Tell yourself that they're just picking on you cause you're different, but different is awesome, everyone on this site will tell you so [:
Chin up, stand tall, and walk past them like you don't even know they're there. Eventually they'll give in, bullying's no fun when the person doesn't react.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 1st 2009, 01:00 AM

Make a joke about it. Don't take them seriously even if they are trying to put you down. Kind of how like some fat dudes joke about their weight, I mean sure your friends will probably throw a joke at yah here or there but if you act like it doesn't bother you they won't use it as an attack. I mean if they call you a firecrotch just say hey atleast my balls stay warm in the winter fuck you lol.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Stephen Offline
The redhead.
Not a n00b

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 1st 2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE View Post
Make a joke about it. Don't take them seriously even if they are trying to put you down. Kind of how like some fat dudes joke about their weight, I mean sure your friends will probably throw a joke at yah here or there but if you act like it doesn't bother you they won't use it as an attack. I mean if they call you a firecrotch just say hey atleast my balls stay warm in the winter fuck you lol.
Thanks.I'm glad to see a guys point of view.

On the other hand, schools out, so I will enjoy the summer, then go back to hell at school.
I have other problems in life, but when I say them, it makes me sad and its not relevant to this topic.
Thanks everyone.
Just tonight they tried to call me names and I just kinda ignored em.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
kimvia Offline
is asleep
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kim

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 1st 2009, 06:12 AM

I met my ex boyfriend when we were 14. I was attracted to him BECAUSE of his red hair and freckles (and also because he was a pretty chubby guy [and by pretty chubby, I mean he's obese, though he does carry his weight well], I don't like guys unless they are nice and soft and cuddly, lol) I think red head's are the sexiest people ever. minorities always get picked on, and it always hurts. I think something like only 3% of people have red hair.

I googled it and found a few support groups for red heads: I Am Ginger | An Anonymous Group with Personal Stories, Support Forums, Quizzes, News & Help. Group Discussion & Advice.

Hope this helps hun.
*hug*

PM me any time, ok? I'm always here to help.

What's the second amendment for?
Just in case the government takes away the first.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Imaginary Offline
Average Joe

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 1st 2009, 11:34 AM

I haven't been called names in a while, but what I'd do was run around and scream to frighten them off. They're like bears; they don't like loud noises.

myspace.com/lonesome_fish for poetry. I like feedback sometimes. And I like smiley faces .

(#11 (permalink)) Old
lacrotix Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 1st 2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlyheartbeat View Post
Schools are clueless about bullies...At 14 children are immature, but as you get older, this gets less. Tell yourself that they're just picking on you cause you're different, but different is awesome, everyone on this site will tell you so [:
Chin up, stand tall, and walk past them like you don't even know they're there. Eventually they'll give in, bullying's no fun when the person doesn't react.
I agree that bullies gradually stop as they mature with age. They also stop when reactions are as painful as they wanted it. But not all stop, unfortunately.

On the part about schools are clueless, I disagree. They are aware of the problem, but don't want to get tangled in the mess. School staff want an easy job after all, with their little pay and all. Metaphorically speaking, they don't want to get their white gloves stained at all.

Quote:
Make a joke about it.
I find that hard to do. I prefer comebacks. I am heavy myself and when a scrawny skinny guy insults me about my weight and how I can run people over, I say "Well, let's try" and fall face-first on him, trampling him in the process. He shuts up afterwards.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Naomi. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Naomi

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 1st 2009, 09:42 PM

I am also ginger, red head, freckles the lot :P Including the white skin!
The best why i found to deal with it was coming back with very good comments such as 'aren't you obervent' or 'very origional, of course ive never heard that one before'
It is upsetting at the time, and i agree, even the best schools are clueless to bullies.
Stay strong and try to ignore it.
In the end you will come out on top
Please feel free to PM/VM me any time.
-Naomi xox

Dream ♥

(#13 (permalink)) Old
kimvia Offline
is asleep
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kim

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 2nd 2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrotix View Post
I find that hard to do. I prefer comebacks. I am heavy myself and when a scrawny skinny guy insults me about my weight and how I can run people over, I say "Well, let's try" and fall face-first on him, trampling him in the process. He shuts up afterwards.
That is awesome, my ex always joked about doing that, but he never actually did it. Good for you!!!

PM me any time, ok? I'm always here to help.

What's the second amendment for?
Just in case the government takes away the first.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 2nd 2009, 03:40 AM

People seem to either love red heads or hate them.

I have red hair and freckles and love it. My boyfriend is also a redhead (though this causes people to sometimes think he's my brother). He has freckles and is on the larger side, and I absolutely love every part of him.

Try not to let negative comments get to you (easier said than done, I know). I used to get picked on a lot more when I was younger about it (10-14ish). There are people who will be mean all their lives, but most people do seem to grow up.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 2nd 2009, 04:00 AM

Trust me, name-calling for being different just about completely dies out once you get older. I can just about guarantee you that once you reach high school they'll get a clue and leave you alone. Until then, try taking it almost too maturely and just go up to them and tell them how cool it is that they're mocking someone for being different, and just walk away.

"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen

(#16 (permalink)) Old
lacrotix Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 2nd 2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteTornado View Post
Trust me, name-calling for being different just about completely dies out once you get older. I can just about guarantee you that once you reach high school they'll get a clue and leave you alone...
Sometimes not. Both ways, you'll have to find a way to deal with it. Things got worse for me as I got into high school. As teachers cared less, people got to get away with more verbal abuse. I just had to harden my emotions to not feel a thing. It's unfortunate that we - the guys who try to do the right thing - have to go through these pains.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Unicorn. Offline
Cookie monster
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 4th 2009, 04:23 PM

Hey Stephen =]
Basically, these bullies are just silly immature children that need to grow up. Just walk away- if you show that you're not interested, I find they usually leave you alone. As Naomi said, comebacks like " O, very original" are usually good! I use that one alot
I know it's easier said then done; name-calling can really get you down. But just ignore them. You're a stronger, better, person then them for putting up with it.
I hope it stops soon! PM me if you ever need to!

~Jess x
17|10|09

Whenever your world starts crashing down
That's where you'll find me

(#18 (permalink)) Old
braidenowns Offline
Braiden Knows Best.
Not a n00b

Name: Braiden

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 7th 2009, 09:02 PM

There is nothing wrong with having red hair. My hair used to be ginger up until about fifth grade then it went this light-brown colour. The fact was I liked being ginger because I was one of a kind and I knew that, not very many people are ginger, so I felt special and yes, people did push me around and call me names and my mum always said it was being I was special and that they were all very jealous. Being different is a beauty and until we learn to accept that we cannot control it. (I think that makes sense, well it made sense in French before I translated it)

Braiden.
  Send a message via MSN to braidenowns  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
B.O.T.E Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 8th 2009, 09:26 PM

Hi Stephen.

I know exactly what your going thru. I am a ginger who was once over weight.
I was made fun of a lot growing up because I was different. It hurt, it really did and I felt very lonely and isolated. Being lonely has led to depression and such but believe me when I say everything will be better in the end.

Im in a very loving relationship with a girl who loves my red hair and freckles, and I lost all the weight and managed to keep it off for well over a year.

These bullies dont deserve your time so pay no attention to them, they are nobodies.
Just stand strong and believe in yourself because having red hair is the best thing in the world!!

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 9th 2009, 12:48 AM

Hey Stephen! I'm sorry to hear you are going through such a hard time but just remember it's what's on the inside that counts! I bet for every one of those bullies, there are three of your friends ready to stand by and help you out! We also at teen help are hear for you. Let me know how it's going and if it gets worse try telling some other adults like teachers.

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 9th 2009, 01:34 AM

Hey Stephen first off there is nothing wrong with being a red head I actually really like red heads. My friend goes through the same thing red hair freckles red skin and a little on the chubby side and also crys often but really she is still a beautiful girl. She was mad ethe way she was for a purpose and so were you.

I also have another red headed friend and she likes being called a ginger.

Try not to take things so personal some people are just really mean and we have to learn to ignore them.

Work on learning to love yourself and know that your a beautiful person and being a red head diffently dosent make you ugly or anything like that.

If you ever want to chat feel free to pm me.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Half doomed and semi-sweet <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rhia.

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 9th 2009, 02:46 PM

I'm not much help really - I just want you to know your hair colour is beautiful.

I came SO CLOSE to dying my blonde hair to a natural red, the only reason I didnt was because it took me months and months of dying and alot of money to get my hair from black to blonde, heh.

Just be proud of your hair. I envy it. =]

H a p p i n e s s.
  Send a message via MSN to 20 Dollar Nose Bleed  
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 9th 2009, 07:19 PM

Hey. I just wanted to say. I have a mate like you, and he takes all the comments with a pinch of salt and gets on with life. It's tough I know, but it's honestly not worth worrying over people who are 'happy' to make your life 'hell'.

Bullies are not worth the worry!

Anyways, I love my mate to bits - no matter what his hair colour is xD

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Anton4223 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 10th 2009, 02:26 AM

I always got called tree because im really tall, but then i started making jokes about it too, and know im friends with them

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Pro_kidneyTheif Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: SAM

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 10th 2009, 08:30 AM

Bullys mock people cuz they are insecure bout their own apperance
once a guy was takin the piss outta me, and i full on ripped the shit out om bout his own appearance...
I got beat up pretty bad.
but not by him, by his 'possy' and when ever i see him now, he avoids me cuz he knows that on his own he's useless. But yeah after that he stopped.
it was only him who stopped tho, the rest carried on, but that was enough to make me feel a WHOLE lot better.
i dont recommend it tho, i had to stay off school a while :P

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 10th 2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I agree.
DONT let them get you down. I have reddish hair too so know how it feels.
I started saying "I'm ginger, so what?" Show them you don't care.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 13th 2009, 06:16 PM

If it's any comfort at all, I happen to think that guys with red hair and freckles are awesome. Seriously, I haven't met a red-head w/frex that I didn't like. I'm sure you're a radical cat and anyone who suggests otherwise is jealous of your awesome.

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
hello giraffie Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sarah

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 13th 2009, 10:46 PM

Hey,
One of my best friends has red hair and freckles, she get's called names all the time, and she's told me it bothers her sometimes. Most of the time, though she just laughs along with whoever's calling her names, and says that helps. I guess it makes it seem less insulting to her.
What you're saying totally makes sense to me. I get called names, too. Just ignore it, or, like my friend does, laught it off. I know it'll be hard, but it really helps.
Good luck!

Sarah
returning the smile you've had from the start
  Send a message via AIM to hello giraffie Send a message via MSN to hello giraffie  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Red hair and freckles - July 13th 2009, 10:50 PM

First off there's nothing wrong with being ginger. Also, there might be a way you can get restricted numbers blocked so they can't ring you so look into that. Sadly schools don't often do much but when you leave and go into work people usually don't act so immature then.
I'd just like to say though when people call you ginger you shouldn't be so offended by it because well you are ginger aren't you? I can understand that they're probably saying it in a bad way but why not just turn round to them and say yeah I am ginger or say they're hair colour back to them?

Closed Thread