TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lacrotix Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

What can we do to prevent the schools from getting worse? - August 14th 2009, 12:09 AM

I am still in high school. And looking back at all these years, school and bullying is a sorry mess.

Peer pressure is everywhere, negatively pushing people into gangs and to go broke trying to buy your way into a group through brand-name clothing.

People are bullied all the time now. We either become bullies, kill ourselves, or come out with scars and never the same person again.

Schools and adults try to brush off these problems now, instead of dealing with it. In my school, the teachers say they believe that the incidents were jokes to brush off further action.

I don't think I need to say anymore. Children and schools have changed for the worse. I feel powerless to stop this nightmare from getting worse. So I am wondering, what can we do to prevent the schools from getting worse? I am wondering about your ideas.

As for me, that's why I'm here... to give my advice to others and ease their pains.

Last edited by lacrotix; August 14th 2009 at 01:03 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
theatregeek Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Allie

Re: What can we do to change the schools from getting worse? - August 14th 2009, 09:38 PM

The only thing you can really do is stand up for what is right and keep talking to your administration and school board about it.
Call me a downer but teens and adolescents are set in their ways and it's not changing soon.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
lacrotix Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What can we do to change the schools from getting worse? - August 17th 2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatregeek View Post
...stand up for what is right and keep talking to your administration
If only it was that easy. Standing up for what is right is easy, but others may not like it. I have seen countless times where if you break up a fight or such, the people involved feel angry for you giving them a weak name by not fighting. They don't want help. As for the administration/school part of talking, I find they don't want a messy job to do. They say they will help, but they don't like to dirty their gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatregeek View Post
... adolescents are set in their ways and it's not changing soon.
I remember my folks saying that it wasn't like that before. They told me that being a aggressive and mean didn't have as much glamor as it does today. I wonder what happened to those days when you could trust everybody and be around everybody...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: What can we do to change the schools from getting worse? - August 17th 2009, 10:31 PM

Not to burst your bubble, but adult life is full of bullying, cliques, and peer pressure as well. They just have more subtle ways of doing it. Some adults are bullied throughout their whole life, much like the kids you mentioned. Not to take away anything from bullying in school though.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Leo Offline
Average Joe

Re: What can we do to prevent the schools from getting worse? - August 21st 2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrotix View Post
I am still in high school. And looking back at all these years, school and bullying is a sorry mess.

Peer pressure is everywhere, negatively pushing people into gangs and to go broke trying to buy your way into a group through brand-name clothing.

People are bullied all the time now. We either become bullies, kill ourselves, or come out with scars and never the same person again.

Schools and adults try to brush off these problems now, instead of dealing with it. In my school, the teachers say they believe that the incidents were jokes to brush off further action.

I don't think I need to say anymore. Children and schools have changed for the worse. I feel powerless to stop this nightmare from getting worse. So I am wondering, what can we do to prevent the schools from getting worse? I am wondering about your ideas.

As for me, that's why I'm here... to give my advice to others and ease their pains.

Part of the problem is that a lot of kids have a fear of not fitting in. True not fitting in does make u a target for abuse. But if more teen's had the strength and security to be themselves then there wouldn't be as big a problem with this. The problem lies where everyone tries to follow everyone else.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
*alex* Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: alex

Re: What can we do to change the schools from getting worse? - August 22nd 2009, 02:38 PM

well just think of this okay

bullys are A victims are B witneses are C when a fights b, c is routing for the winner to go with the safest bet and avoid bieng b but those who are b alone cannot help theirselfs or it will make C turn to A due to the fact that the lower on he food chain the Bs are the harder the climb but with a hand from the Cs you can make A stop and teachers never have proof and all bullys can just say if you have no proof you have no right to expell(or whatever) me so we need the Cs to help the Bs to stop the As (confusing yes can it work Yes) the simple fact is bullys want populairity more then anything else thus when bing A is bad the go to C thus no a b or c just nice humans

(#7 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: What can we do to change the schools from getting worse? - August 23rd 2009, 06:47 PM

Nearing the "adult world" and somewhat already in it, I can tell you from life experience that it's nothing like the bullying you see in high school. I can't even understand why some people would see things that way. Okay, you can have some jack asses from time to time - as is common place in the world at large. But, labels, groups, etc.? Not even close. I've lived in it, nearing end of college & the work place.

Now about high school, I think people should just act more like adults. The world you enter after high school, where people stop judging you because of who you are and start accepting other people's differences. There's this odd thing that happens in senior year where people grow up for some reason and in college it's nonexistent. So it's either a maturity thing or people have started accepting others. If people accept others and stop knocking them down, if from a young age it's instilled that those differences matter for the good rather than the bad - things will get better. p.s. I was one of the so-called "ticking time bombs" in high school, so I was kinda right in the thick of it.

Also hire better fucking teachers! I can't stress the number of times somebody reports something, the tormentor is just brought in to be questioned then let go to continue his rampage. Plus, teachers that single students out to harass, which would make one hate the system even more. There's three types of teachers: the heroes, the neutrals, and the villains who became teachers to mock their students.

I don't know if things are as bad today as they were back then though, I mean I was going through school around the pre/post columbine incident few years before/after. So maybe the school system has changed since 2004/5 because I haven't heard of anything really going down since then. Which I guess must mean things are getting better, or at least I'd imagine. But, unsure...

Last edited by ThePunkAlien; August 23rd 2009 at 07:03 PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
lacrotix Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What can we do to change the schools from getting worse? - August 24th 2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
...adult life is full of bullying...Some adults are bullied throughout their whole life, much like the kids you mentioned.
That ruined my day. Now I need to change this thread from "What can we do to change the schools from getting worse?" to "What can we do to stop people from suffering more?". We really need to overhaul society now and faster than the pace of any dictator trying to gain power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Nearing the "adult world" and somewhat already in it, I can tell you from life experience that it's nothing like the bullying you see in high school. ...There's this odd thing that happens in senior year where people grow up for some reason and in college it's nonexistent.
That made my day. However, since it contradicts what Kyle said, my day is normal . But I have heard that from others, just as I heard what Kyle said too. What we really need though, is a way for kids to be kids but at the same time have a lot better morals instilled than the ones they have today...(think: kids having fun by picking on the odd guy).

Quote:
Also hire better fucking teachers! I can't stress the number of times somebody reports something, the tormentor is just brought in to be questioned then let go to continue his rampage. Plus, teachers that single students out to harass, which would make one hate the system even more. There's three types of teachers: the heroes, the neutrals, and the villains who became teachers to mock their students.
I agree. Teachers used to be the heroes of our society, but now there are too many bad ones that tarnish their reputation. We need to have a better system in which the real role models come in and the bad ones out. For some reason though, the best teachers that were role models were unorthodox teachers...

Quote:
I don't know if things are as bad today as they were back then though, I mean I was going through school around the pre/post columbine incident few years before/after.
I don't really know the "columbine incident" but I can tell you from very recent experience that the school system needs an real overhaul. It may be better or worse, but it's not acceptable. People still get ruined in school for life.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stained Dreamer Offline
I will not be treated that way
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

Re: What can we do to change the schools from getting worse? - August 24th 2009, 11:54 PM

we can't do anything about this stuff. sorry. it's human nature. look- i've switched schools plenty of times and dealt with LOTS of hypocrites and bullies and losers and everything. ya know what, you can't change it, especially with teenagers, because they're just going to rebel against the rules anyway.

sorry to spoil your dreaming. just a little reality i've encountered.

I want a moment to be real
Want to touch things I don't feel
Want to hold on, and feel I belong
And how can the world want me to change?
They're the ones that stay the same
They don't know me, but I'm still here

(#10 (permalink)) Old
lacrotix Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What can we do to change the schools from getting worse? - August 27th 2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarislife519 View Post
we can't do anything about this stuff. sorry. it's human nature.
It's time to change human nature to this: !

Closed Thread