TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Peer Pressure and Bullying Social pressure can take many different forms, including intimidation, bullying and even physical attacks. If you feel you could be a victim or perpetrator (who wishes to stop) of bullying, talk about it here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
belle123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

An odd man I keep seeing - August 27th 2009, 04:35 PM

Hi, this is my first post here I don't know if this is the right section but it definitely doesn't count as abuse or anything, and the description of this section includes 'intimidation', so here goes.

I keep seeing this very strange man where I live. About 2 years ago I was walking out of a shop and he began to speak to me. Being only 13, I was quite idiotic and told him my first name, something which I deeply regret. I saw him a few months later and he recognised me - as I realised who he was, I began to feel uncomfortable that he'd remembered me so well. He asked me many questions about my life, and I made an excuse and dashed off. The third time I was 14, so quite a while had passed. I was walking home from school and he again recognised me. I tried to avoid him but he called my name and began to walk beside me. He saw my uniform and recognised it, naming the school I go to. I tried to walk away but he only continued conversation - there were also a group of students in front of us who kept turning looking worried, so I saw that his behaviour appeared strange to others as well.

I saw him again, but walked on without saying a word. Now the next time I saw him proved to me he was strange. It was winter this year so when I was walking home it was dark. I was with a friend, and he saw her, but not me. He made a comment to her, and recognising her I pulled her into a shop and told her about him. We put our hoods up and he definitely didn't recognise me but saw her again and began to follow us down the street. We ran into another shop and waited until he'd passed.

We haven't spoken since, but now when we see eachother we still recognise eachother. I am really uncomfortable and I'm scared because I suspect he may be a pervert of sorts. Of course, he might just be an overly friendly man but there's something about him which is odd. I can't tell police because he hasn't actually threatened me or said anything sexual. I really don't want to tell my parents and there isn't an alternate route home. Its just something that's been bothering me and i'd love some opinions on the topic - thankyou

(#2 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Re: An odd man I keep seeing - August 27th 2009, 06:16 PM

he does seem a little strange, so u would just keep avoiding him at all costs. i would put your hood up, or go into another store until he was out of your way. if anything gets worse, i would talk to your parents, or the police if it got to that point.

goodluck.

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
belle123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: An odd man I keep seeing - August 27th 2009, 07:00 PM

Thankyou what triggered me to write this post was today I was out with my family and I saw him - thankfully he ignored me. I hope this is a sign he's understood that he was making me uncomfortable? Its just gotten to the point where I fear walking around my local area, simply in fear of seeing him.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cherryqueen1248 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Care

Re: An odd man I keep seeing - August 27th 2009, 07:51 PM

that is really weird, you could get a restraining order and claim it as stalking... or something like that. im not sure. talk to your parents, maybe a school councler. they'll know exactly what to do. just make sure to travel in groups and be careful and be attentive of your surroundings. good luck =]

(#5 (permalink)) Old
emerson Offline
Average Joe

Name: emerson

Re: An odd man I keep seeing - August 27th 2009, 08:49 PM

the best-case scenario that comes to mind is that maybe the reason he followed you two when it was dark was that he saw two young women walking alone, at night, and wanted to walk with you a ways to make sure you were safe.

it is, however, much more plausible that he's a creep. so be careful.

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Hey Nikki! Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: An odd man I keep seeing - August 27th 2009, 09:01 PM

Well, he might just be one of those 'old homeless religious men' that some quiet neighborhoods seem to have. What was the comment that he made towards your friend?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: An odd man I keep seeing - August 27th 2009, 09:06 PM

I think you should tell your parents. It may not be a big deal but better safe than sorry. If you really don't feel comfortable telling your parents tell a school counselor. I just think you should tell an adult. It doesn't really matter what adult but you never know who he is.
~Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
belle123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: An odd man I keep seeing - August 27th 2009, 09:14 PM

Thanks for replying I actually live in london, but to explain where I live is kinda hard for non-londoners to understand lol! I live in a suburb, but english suburbs aren't like american ones - its basically like a really busy town / big village within the city - so my neighbourhood is actually very busy which is good. The comment he made to my friend was "you're enjoying them aren't you?" as she was eating chips - giggled nervously before I pulled her away, so he didn't have time to say anything else. I really want to confidentially ask maybe my school if any students have reported a man like him before (my school is all-girls so it seems kind of plausible he preys on students from there, especially because he recognised my uniform and when he commented to my friend she was wearing our school hoodies). Thanks again everyone

Closed Thread